“Great!”

Omni San Diego Hotel
Ranked #23 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I'd read a lot of reviews of this hotel before I arrived. The reviews are mainly positive, very much so, and I didn't believe the hotel could be that good. But it was!

Every staff member I came in contact with was exceptionally friendly and competent.

The hotel is modern, but in a conservative way that would appeal to a variety of travellers.

I had a corner room on level 17 which was a good size and well appointed. It included a balcony on one side and windows on another.

I also had an in-room fitness kit (mat, hand weights, kettle bell, therabands, towel and bottled water). I requested a complimentary refrigerator to be put in my room as the mini bar is full and requires a key.

I joined their rewards program and received complimentary internet, a morning beverage each day and two items pressed for free.

The gym was well equipped. But I didn't like the layout where the huffy puffy weight lifters were right behind the treadmills checking out the women from behind. Yes, they were. The behaviour of guests is not the hotel's fault.

To note:

The property is right by Gaslamp which is a fun but busy/noisy area. The ballpark is also right next to it, again more noise. One side fronts the railway lines which means some noise and ugly views that way. But there is a trolley stop right by the hotel.

As I had a corner room I only had one wall connecting to another room. I could hear water in the pipes when they showered and drawers opening/closing.

None of these bothered me. I sleep pretty well and was there on vacation not for business.

My only complaint is the service after I checked out. The bellman put my luggage cart outside and told me a taxi would be organised by Riley the valet. Riley spent 10+ minutes loading Dodgers luggage into their van and totally ignored me. I could see the line of taxis across the road and should have just flagged one myself. Eventually he noticed me. Maybe have extra staff on when ball players are staying so that all guests are treated well.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
ColleenOmni, Manager at Omni San Diego Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear MelbourneSkiGirl,
Thank you so much for the fantastic review on TripAdvisor! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and very thankful that you took the time to share your feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back again!
Colleen Anderson
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,647)

Reviewed 9 April 2014

the hotel location was excellent, near the airpoart and entertainment. great check in and valet was very courteous as well as helpfull and knowledgeable of the area. the business meetings we handled with meals on a timely basis very clean hotel i would recommend for a vacation stay for sure

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We have stayed here before and love the downtown location. Loved the online check-in, room and keys were ready when we got there!
We were on a higher floor that had a great view of the area. The walls seemed a little thin, we could hear people at night talking in the room next to us. The water pressure was a little weak. We liked our room, but next time we will get a room with 2 Queen Beds. Also, when we pulled up in our rental car, the bellman said that there was only valet parking ($39/day), he did not offer that there was self-parking right across the street (same parking lot they use for Valet parking), for half the price!! We only knew this because we had stayed there before. It was St.Patrick;s day weekend, so in the pool (which is usually lovely!), there were empty cups and garbage.
We would stay here again. Nice Hotel!

Room Tip: Higher floors are better. Double beds are a little small when you are used to a queen or king bed.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights during business trip. Location is great! Just across the street from the convention center. Located in the Gaslamp Quarter - abundance of great dining options in the area. Check in was a breeze. Room was good size. Bed was comfortable. Nice perks for Omni Select members - free wifi, complimentary newspaper in the am, complimentary drink in the am delivered to your door (coffee, tea, soda or juice). Had a great, nice sized fitness center which I used every day - treadmills, ellipticals, weights with nice touches such as lemon-flavored ice water and complimentary apples post workout… Evening turndown service provided. Can be a little noisy on weekend nights especially if you're staying in a room facing the Gaslamp Quarter - can hear music and crowd noise. Overall a very good experience though. There is a McCormick and Schmick's restaurant in the hotel but didn't eat there because there were so many local dining options to try in Gaslamp. Also, hotel is adjacent to PETCO Park so may be some crowd noise when baseball games are being played.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from Gaslamp Quarter will be quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank rho1972
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My sister and I planned a long getaway weekend here and it was perfect. This hotel is located in the gaslamp district and there is lots to do, within walking distance. The room was lovely, the bed was comfortable and there was no outside noise. In room dining and McCormick and Schmick's were delicious. The gym facilities were adequate and the pool and hot tub were great. I only wish they had more spa options (facials, wraps, steamroom, etc.), but I understand they are primarily a business hotel. I believe they do have in room massage available. I'd come back here in a flash.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 April 2014

It was a delightful experience to stay at the Omni Hotel. The pool and jacuzzi were the best amenties offered by the hotel. However, i did not eat at the hotel restaurant. I ate at other restaurants for breakfast in the downtown San Diego Gaslamp area. I would definitnely recommend staying at the Omni than any other hotel chain in the San Diego Gaslamp Quarter.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Our stay at the Omni was excellent from beginning to end. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. This is an excellent location if you are attending a game at Petco Park as there is a convenient walkway to the Park. The hotel is very central to the Gaslight area and is right on a train stop. The staff were some of the friendliest that I have ever encountered on a trip.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family