“Great location for family”

Omni San Diego Hotel
Ranked #18 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 23 September 2009

We arrived by Amtrak and took a 5 minute taxi ride to our hotel. Check-in was fast. In our room, we were greeted with some chocolates and a bottle of champagne. This was a nice b-day surprise. Our room also had the over powering smell of room freshener. We turned on air and opened our window as far as it would go. I thought the maid must have been a bit generous with the spray. Our room had 2 double beds with great linens and a comfortable bed. We were traveling with our 2 sons and other than the beds being double(Queens are always better in this situation!) the room was a nice size. We left our room to get dinner. It was a short walk into the gaslamp district. After a couple of hours we returned to our room. We then figured out why the room smelled like it did. Someone had smoked in a non -smoking room. We are always sure to request non-smoking. The smell was VERY strong. I went down to the front desk to ask for a room change. We were told one was not available that nite. There was a convention and they were full. I asked if we could pay the difference and move to a suite. A manager walked up and said the only other room that was open had a murphy bed and would not hold 4. The next nite they could move us, but the room would not have a view or be available until the afternoon. I asked for a fan or something else to help with the smell. They sent up housekeeping with a small glass jar filled with scented oil and bamboo sticks. It didn't do a thing. By the next afternoon, the smell was better, or maybe we were just used to it. We were gone all day shopping and siteseeing. Late that afternoon they said a room was available. It overlooked the pool area where a loud reception was going on. By now we thought we would just stay in our room.
We went to a Padres game. Inside the Padre Logo shop at the back, was a cage area where we watched the teams warming up. A manager on the Padres tossed a ball over the fence to one of my sons. This made his trip! We found an area where Kevin Kouzmanov -3rd base- was signing autograghs. He now has 4 new fans! The stadium has an easy access to the hotel.
The fitness center in the hotel was the best I have ever seen. Lots of modern machines, circuit training, free weights, personal TV's with headphones, towels, shower, etc. Spotless and not crowded.
The pool area was small, crowded, noisy, and had a man smoking a cigar. We couldn't escape the smoke anywhere. (We have gotten spoiled by non smoking areas)
There is a nice happy hour at the hotel resturaunt. Food was great, service was slow. We were sitting outside so that may have been the problem.
Because we did not have a car, we walked everywhere. Even down to the Star of India. Shopping, eating and entertainment were all close by, safe and easy to walk to. I would return to this hotel in spite of our bad luck with the smoking smell.
Hotel staff was great with recommendations. Bell service was especially fast and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank seablu

Reviewed 21 September 2009

On the surface this seems like a nice hotel, but they falter when it comes to the little things. My biggest complaint is that the walls are too thin. I could hear the guy in the room next door snoring all night. I could hear the water running anytime anyone around me took a shower. The information in the room was outdated and wrong. Items in my room were dusty. As much as I paid to stay there, I expected more.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2009

I stayed at the Omni San Diego over Labor Day weekend, September 2009.

Great things about the hotel:
* Easy to find
* Great location in the Gaslamp district
* Very modern and open lobby
* Has all of the amenities you expect (if you can find them)
* Very friendly staff

Terrible things about this hotel:
* Showers don't have near enough water pressure
* Views of the ocean also come with very loud train station outside
* Friendly staff ultimately unhelpful -- trying to get some clothes pressed turned into a production. First front desk person told me to become a Select Guest on their website, and there'd be directions. There weren't. Second front desk person told me to look at the back of my privacy tag, find the number for housekeeping there, and then call housekeeping. But there was no number on the back of the privacy tag . . . and looking through the black book of hotel phone numbers provided no information about how to contact housekeeping. We stayed three nights, and I never managed to get anything pressed. Good thing I had until the following Friday (because the Hyatt Convention Center in Long Beach was much more reasonable).
* Not particularly well-appointed gym. For a 4* hotel at this much money, I expect more.
* Very small rooms for a new hotel.

Overall, with the lack of water pressure (I couldn't get clean), train noise (my fiance couldn't sleep), and inability to actually use the amenities (pressing), I'm not going to recommend this hotel.

Reviewed 19 September 2009

We stayed at the Omni for 2 nights. The service from check in to check out was great, friendly and professional. The rooms were very nicely appointed. The bathrooms were very nice as well. I loved that the tub had a curved shower rod to prevent the attack of the curtain. I took the advice of the other travelers and joined the free Omni club. We received the coffee/tea and freshly squeezed juice in the morning at a time that we selected. It was nice to be able to add a muffin, bagel, or english muffin for less than $3. Our view was awesome - we could see both the city and the water. We usually choose small boutique hotels when we travel for a more resort type experience. But, this hotel was very nice and did not disappoint us. We would stay here again.

Reviewed 14 September 2009

Stayed this past Saturday night, thanks to an amazing deal on priceline! The rooms are small, but so nice. Great decor, color scheme, bed, linens, lighting. Wonderful bathroom, really nice. The service was wonderful checking in and out, all around wonderful service. Went to the Padres game Sunday, and they held our bags. Free street parking after 6:00 pm on Saturday and all day Sunday, so you can't beat a Saturday stay over. Would definitely stay again and recommend to others.

Reviewed 13 September 2009

We stayed here one night (a Saturday). The location is great - steps to Petco Park (with a private entrance!), Gaslamp district, convention center and trolley station. I took the advice I read here and joined the Omni Select Guest free program before booking. I recommend doing that, as in addition to the free a.m. beverages, pressings, wifi, they upgraded my room! I booked the basic room, but we got a gorgeous room on the 19th floor with water and city views and a balcony. The room was very clean and stylish with a gorgeous, spacious bathroom. The staff was very friendly. We did not eat at any of the hotel's restaurants, but did go next door to Tin Fish (great food and beers) and had breakfast down the street at Broken Yolk (good breakfast food but service was a bit spotty). I recommend the Omni San Diego!

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank redoctober30
Reviewed 13 September 2009

Stayed in the Omni for 2 nights at the end of a coastal road trip. Hotel was lovely, rooms excellent and spacious, pool area was very luxurious, and free drinks in the morning through the select guest programme were a nice touch. Hotel looks over the padres stadium - great view from the 20th floor. Short walk to gaslamp quarter which has lots of great bars and restaurants. Highly recommend this hotel which was a great end to our holiday. Park accross the street for £8.00 a night rather than paying $30.00 valet.