“Excellent American Food in Hillcrest area”
Review of Urban Eats

Urban Eats
Ranked #1,588 of 4,964 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 12 July 2012

My wife, 20 year old son and I ate here at 6 pm on Saturday, June 30th. We drove and I dropped them and found parking about a block away. This was a pre-theater meal for us as we had tickets to the Lowell Davies Theater in Balboa Park. That was a convenient 5 minute drive away from Urban Eats.

This is a small restaurant with about 6 tables inside and 4 outside. The walls were covered with old photos of the Hillcrest area of San Diego. There is a small bar inside but I believe they are still waiting for a liquor license. We got a table inside without a wait.

The menu is simple and features American classics. We ordered an appetizer of the grilled three cheese sandwich with tomato bisque soup. The waiter, who was very friendly and helpful,brought us a plate of complimentary and very good Parmesan Crostini while we waited. The first course came cut into four strips to easily dunk in the bisque and was wonderful!

I ordered the meatloaf with mashed potatoes and was very impressed with the flavor of both. My son ordered a reuben sandwich that both he and my wife felt was the best they ever had. My wife had a tuna melt that was good but seemed a let down after the other excellent fare.

We were too full for dessert but the waiter brought us a plate of three small chocolate chip cookies with strawberries and cream anyway. These too were excellent.

Overall this is an excellent choice for American food. We spent $50 for the three of us including tip and soft drinks so a decent value as well. I highly recommend this little eatery.