“Good food and ambiance!”

Busalacchi's A Modo Mio
Ranked #1,020 of 4,991 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Pennsylvania
Transit: Bus stop within 2 blocks. Taxi stand 2 blocks away.
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I came here for Restaurant Week a few months ago with a friend. They have a dog friendly patio which is great! I got the carpaccio which was really good! Then I opted for the butternut squash ravioli which was good as well. They don't give you a lot and it had a sweetness to it which is different from the other ravioli i've tried. All in all, I had a good experience here and I'll be back!

Reviewed 5 December 2013

This restaurant was recommended by hotel concierge, and we very much enjoyed our dinner here. The server was very attentive and friendly. We enjoyed the house garlic bread and caesar salads. My husband had a very good seafood pasta with a large variety of well prepared seafood, and I really enjoyed a delicious spaghetti carbonara, probably the best I have ever had. Wish we had had room for dessert but we were stuffed! Good food.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Busalacchis was recommended to us by the hotel, and after a full day of traveling it seemed like a good choice. What can I say, we were greeted at the front door with "an attitude". Not the way to start an evening meal, because after that everything was uphill. The waiter was helpful, but the menu required a bit of adjustment. The food... Very good. This was of course a restaurant, so we were finally able to get to the crux of every restaurant, the food.

So, if Busalacchi's could raise to the height of their food they would be an excellent restaurant, but in San Diego, you have many choices. I don't need attitude with my dinner.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I just got back from a 2 week tour of Italy...the food here is better than 80% off the places I ate at in Rome, Florence, Pisa, and Venice! I've always eaten most of the menu...

Appetizers & Wine...+ 1 Star during HH and Sundays
$10.95 Polenta: 5 Star, delicious! But earlier this year it came with 4 pieces instead of 3 now. And a buck cheaper.
$10.95 Pesto Crepe: 3 Stars...good, but too small. Worth a try during HH for 1/2 price.
$10.95 Calamari: 4 Star...sauces are unique and delish...
$12.95 Short Ribs: 3 Star. Unlike the entree, the portion is very small.
$9 for the cheapest glass of wine...Boo! But reasonably $4.50 during HH.

Salads...I REFUSE to pay $9 for a salad...so I have no idea.

Pasta...serving size coud be larger
$19.95 Granchio: 4 Star...kinda weird eating the entire crab, but yummy. Everyone lovs it.
$14 Modo Mio pasta sauce, with meatballs(+$4): 5 Star...great creamy sauce! My favorite here.
$14 Nicolini pasta sauce: 4 Star, Good but not very filling unless you add a meat.
$14 Carbonara pasta: 4 Star...lighter than other restaurants' interpretations.
$14 Parlermitana pasta : 4 Star. Spicy tomatoe sauce with ground sausage, so you don't have to pay extra for meat.

Entrees...
$23.95 Short Ribs: 5 Star...big, hearty, yummy, and melt in your mouth, chunk of cow.
$19.95 Chicken Vin Dolce: 3 Star...for $20, there should be more chicken than half a breast. I was still hungry after.
$20.95 Pollo a la Chef: 3 Star...portion could be bigger as well.

THE GOOD:
1) Happy Hour! Half price appetizers and wine glasses!
2) Coupons! Between groupons, coupons, smartphone apps, and Yelp events, I've never actually paid full price.
3) Just about the entire menu is yummy, though a bit pricey, which leads to...

THE BAD:
1) Pricey, if you're a paying full price (ignore this if you're rich)
2) Food portions could be larger (Or am I just chubby ;-) )
3) Arrivederci, which is just a couple blocks away, has equally good food and lower prices, and young handsome Italian waiters whom seem to be fresh off the boat from Sicily, begging for a Green Card from a nice San Diegan girl.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Some friends and I ate at Busalacchi's before going to the theater at The Old Globe. The restaurant has happy hour every day before 6:30 pm, so we ended up sharing lots of small plates and drinking wine. The food was delicious. One of my favorite dishes was grilled polenta covered in a mushroom-Gorgonzola sauce. Mmm Mmm! The garlic bread is epic, too. The red sauce on the eggplant Parmesan was great.

The atmosphere was also wonderful. We sat out on the patio, and it was lively, but still quiet enough to have normal conversation. Just as we were leaving, the musicians were setting up to play live music. Service was very attentive without seeming overbearing. (I think it helped that we were there early, so we got our orders in before it got too busy--but with the Happy Hour deals, I don't know why it wasn't busy earlier.)