“Excellent Japanese Italian Fusion”
Review of Sora Restaurant - CLOSED

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Home Style
Cross street: India St and W Broadway
Transit: American Plaza Trolley
Description: Sora now open in San Diego’s bayside financial district. The “Sky” is not the limit of dining in downtown San Diego. Sora, meaning “sky” in Japanese, features signature cuisine from Executive Chef Noriyoshi Teruya, formerly of Nobu’s Milan, New York City and San Diego locations. With more than 8,000 square feet of dining space, Sora features a Milano-Tokyo influenced menu, and outdoor lounge, and elongated charcuterie and cheese display and modern Japanese inspired artwork.Sora, the first Italian-Japanese influenced restaurant of San Diego, is located in downtown San Diego’s financial district at 655 W. Broadway between India and Kettner. Created by San Diego restaurant pioneer Alessandro Minutella with Nobu-trained Executive Chef Noriyoshi Teruya and restaurant operations executive Daniele V. Gilardi, Sora combines Italian traditions of ravioli, pastas and tomato-bases sauces to meet the distinct flavors of wasabi, sake, edamame and sea urchins.
Salida,CO
“Excellent Japanese Italian Fusion”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I know this fusion concept sounds odd, it did to me and my wife but we were staying nearby and intriqued enough to check it out. Great move. Started with a salmon/avocado sushi roll that was good but nothing out of the ordinary. Followed with an asian ceasar salad and a popeye salad. The ceasar featured lightly charred romaine that imparted a great flavor while leaving the lettuce crisp. The popeye was a spinach based salad featuring a poached egg on top. Odd but excellent.

We shared a risoto that was finished table side in a bowl made from a parm wheel. Very good.

Finished off with a sweet potato creme brulee that was great.

Cocktails were excellent. They bring over an ipad with pictures and descriptions of the drinks. My wife had a taquila based drink with basil and lemon juice. I opted for an bourbon old fashion.

Service was attentive,friendly. The restaurant had an interesting decor and was not noisy a big pluse for me. There were also pizzas on the menu as well as full sushi. A great find.

• Visited April 2013

Charlotte
“Not the Worst”
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

Seemed over priced to me. Had to search for something I was willing to over-pay for. Found it - Ragu - pasta dish with ground lamb and (I believe) turkey. Very tasty and I bet the better dish ordered among my group. Perhaps no one wanted to say anything, but I noticed how several ordered a $10+ pizza because it was low expensed item, yet the size of a personal pan pizza at a sports game... though not as thick, not much sauce.

I repeat, I did like my dish. Very tasty in marinara sauce. However there is nothing complimentary here. No bread to go with dish. They're not strictly Italian so maybe that's why(???).

We started out with waitress who seemed like she was going to be pleasant and personable. Apparently she was filling in for the guy we ended up with who had a problem with the fact that we needed separate bills for each individual (13), which should not be strange with group for restaurant located near convention hotel. He went back n forth doing 3-4 of us.

Impressive decor outside and inside. Well populated but not overcrowded.

No one walked out saying how good a choice it was, how thier food or pizza tasted (including me), no one mentioned how we got there (other than it was close). No one even mentioned not liking it.

I cannot give it a BURP

• Visited April 2013
Mexicali, Mexico
“Weird Fusion”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I was at this restaurant with my husband on December 2012 because the owner is a famous chef from another famous (very good) restaurant that I love so we decided to give it a try.
It was on a weekend at dinner time ant the restaurant should have been full but it was only about 50% full. That was the first sign this was not going to be good
The waiter explained to us this was an ITALIAN-JAPANESE fusion restaurant and since it sounded too weird we let the waiter recomend what he considered to be the best dish for us
The appetizer was ok but ridiculously small for the price
Our main dishes had nothing japanese in theme (pasta and risotto) except for a few mushrooms and the taste was too strong. I really dont see the fusion here
I guess they are still confused about what their concept is but deffinitely nothing japanese in it

• Visited December 2012
San Diego, California
“Inventive Japanese-Italian Restaurant in San Diego”
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Sora isn't your run of the mill Japanese or Italian restaurant - perhaps that's why it's so hard to categorize this wonderful little gem of a place. It's also not smack in the center of the famous Gaslamp District, so it might easier, if you are staying downtown in San Diego, to settle on a place nearer to the heart of those ten of so blocks of well-established eateries that are closer to the hotels on the waterfront.

Don't do it. Take the extra five minute walk down Broadway, past the amazing New Spreckels Theater, between India and Kettner for great service, some really different appetizers, mains and elegent deserts.

We had a larger group during our recent visit and were lucky to be able to try a number of the starters, including some wonderful scallops, an awesome tuna tartare and of course, excellent sushi prepared by the former master chef, Teruya, formerly of the famed local edition of NOBU who now runs this kitchen. Our entries were equally excellent, but I would especially recommend the wonderful Risotto dishes which are prepared at the table inside a complete wheel of cheese - it's fun to wach and better to eat.

It was our second visit and we'll certainly be back again and again.

• Visited March 2013
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“Not Cutting it”
Reviewed 7 March 2013 via mobile

Italian Japanese influenced cuisine? Pick one and make it exceptional.
The food was nothing to write home about and the service needs a kick in the pants. Atmosphere is nice.