“A great family meal out”
Review of Monello

Monello
Reserve with OpenTable
Monello is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #193 of 4,773 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Kettner
Transit: MTS Transit Trolley Stop Green Line: County Center/Little Italy
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“A great family meal out”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We ate here as it's my auntie and uncle's favorite Italian restaurant in San Diego.
The atmosphere was brilliant and the staff couldn't have done any more for us. As we were visiting on our honeymoon the waitress arranged for a complimentary dessert for us all to share, as well as a bottle of their olive oil to take gone. A very nice touch!

The food was great too. Every meal we had was perfect, with lovely wine recommended by the waitress!

McKinleyville, California
“Blahhh.... im still hungy”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I hated this place. But I hate all pretentious/ fusion Italian food. Im still hungry cause I hated everything they brought. The breadsticks suck. The pizza made me wish I had gone to pizza hut. Every thing had arugula in it... I hate arugula! I would not go back.

1 Thank cocoabeachshark
La Mesa, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A disappointment.”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My culinary experience at this restaurant was very disappointing. My husband and I had the clams and spaghetti in a garlicky white sauce. The sauce was awful, and the clams wet overcooked.. My husband tasted our friends' dishes, which were the whole sea bass and the specially of the night, the tuna. Both were overcooked also. I am Italian and I have been to Italy, and of the dishes we had, sorry but no, it is not just like Italy.
We had the Caesar salad and it was mediocre, at best. For dessert we had the pistachio gelato. That was actually very good. The service was very good. The servers were very nice and knowledgeable.
I must also add that many restaurants in San Diego overcook their seafood. I will not be returning to this restaurant.

• Visited July 2014
Palm Springs, CA
“Outstanding Aperitivo and Happy Hour.”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

A group of us went to Aperitivo Happy Hour at Monello last week.

What a fantastic idea to serve a couple small plates with each cocktail. It was so much fun to get a complete sampling of their menu. We had samplings of fried cauliflower, neri pasta, pizza, raspa dura, and polenta. Everything was top notch.

Happy hour was stepped up a bit with fun and creative cocktails such as infused grappa and the ever so tasty caesar carding.

Whether a San Diego local or visiting from afar Monello is not to be missed.

Thank you for making Happy Hour even more fun than usual.

• Visited May 2014
South Jersey
“Not good Italian”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The prosciutto appetizer was sliced very thick. This may be a style choice, but it was not good - too tough for this cut. The gnocchi "ragu" was very strong and greasy and left a terrible after taste. I liked the carbonara, but later was killed by the presence of garlic that should not have been in the dish at all.

• Visited April 2014