“Not sure why their other reviews are so good, but 40 minutes for two coffees is too long”

The Lazy Hummingbird
Ranked #1,292 of 4,832 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My girlfriend found this place on yelp. that should have been our first clue.

It looked good according to Yelp and we went there thinking it would be a great place to get breakfast and coffee. Maybe it might have been good in the past, but this day, they were not doing well at all. I don't know how people think great ambiance is sharing space with a fedex, but hey, if it works for you...

But that wouldn't have been a problem for me. They were super slow, and there was something weird because they said they couldn't offer Acai bowls due to 'new regulations' or whatever that means. Maybe they had a bad health inspection? Who knows. It took 15 minutes to get the first coffee, which was just a simple drip coffee (you know, the kind you pour). My GF ordered a fancy coffee and we waited another 20 minutes for that. She finally asked about it and they said they were out of espresso beans! How does a coffee shop run out of espresso beans!!!!!??? The only reason I'm not giving them a terrible is that the staff were at least polite, and realized it was taking forever to get stuff.

1  Thank garek007
There are newer reviews for The Lazy Hummingbird

Reviewed 24 August 2013

This is not what I expected.... I got so much more.

This is literally a "hole in the wall" at the beach. As so many other reviewers have said, it is an eclectic mix of retro furniture and even retro people. The staff are a trip. They give you terrific service and are a delight. Jesse and Dolores served us today. They belong in this place. They love it and the people who come in.... And it shows with the care that they take toward everyone.

By the way, the food is great too. All made to order.... And even know it's not all organic, it's great. Don't pass up the coffee. It leaves Starbucks coffee in the dust.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

This cafe epitomizes Ocean Beach. Retro furnishings, great menu, fabulous Acai Bowls! It is a good place to read, visit with friends or do some work. Free wifi.
A must visit.

Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

We were looking for some places to brunch near Point Loma and stumpled upon this place and were even a bit sad, that we found this gem of a breakfast café only on our last day in San Diego. The staff gave us a very warm and friendly welcome. We asked for some recommendations and ordered a "hippie meal" - consisting of a bowl with cereal, berry (incl. Acai berries) smoothie and coconut flakes as well as a panini with egg, bacon, cheese and tomato. Both of them also had fresh strawberry and banana slices on the side and were just a delicious dream of a brunch meal.

Accompanied by that we had a "naughty bird" (espresso with chai, chocolate and milk) and a "lemon zinger" (basically lemon zests/skin and ginger, brewed up like tea) which were both amazing.

So, if you're in the area, make sure to stop by and try the great food and drinks!

Reviewed 13 December 2012

If you want to experience Ocean Beach, having a coffee at the Lazy Hummingbird is as essential as having a hamburger at Hodad's. My son stumbled upon it while trying to mail a package. He started at the post office, but for whatever reason they directed him to a FedEx in Ocean Beach. He was quite surprised to find a coffee shop sharing the space with a FedEx. Based on his recommendation, I looked up the Lazy Hummingbird during a quick business trip. In my experience with FedEx facilities I envisioned a brightly lit, fast-paced business so I thought the coffee shop would have a similar atmosphere. Wipe that image right out of your mind! While the coffee shop indeed shares space with FedEx, it could not be more comfortable and welcoming. The staff pours your favorite brew with the care as if it you were a long time friend, ready to make you comfortable for a visit. There are seats inside, but most patrons find their way outside sitting in comfortable chairs (and rocking chairs!) on the wide sidewalk in front. There was a steady stream of regular local customers, evidenced by friendly greetings complete with their names. If you want Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks, I am sure you can find plenty of them around San Diego. If you want great coffee in the friendliest atmosphere that Ocean Beach has to offer, then it is worth walking up a few blocks from the pier (and Hodad's) to visit The Lazy Hummingbird.