“Great breakfast food choices”
Review of Great Maple

Great Maple
Reserve with OpenTable
Great Maple is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #101 of 5,016 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The food was good - the maple bacon donuts were worth having. The brisket on the breakfast popovers was melt-in-your-mouth tender and the combination of flavors was great. The Cerrillos Chilaquiles was good. I asked for the chorizo on the side but ended up adding a little back in for the flavor boost. The silver dollar pancakes were ok but you might want to pick something else. Make reservations because it was very crowded and there was no parking in their small parking lot (although you might get lucky). We had reservations but still had to wait a little bit -- While we were waiting, we saw a long board carried by two people. It had muffins and they stopped at various tables where people purchased them. Our waitress said that you can't tell when it's going to come by and there's something different every time. Wish they had come by when we had a table...but it's a lot of fun.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We had a reservation, this place fills up fast, so make one. We had the maple bacon donuts (don't miss it) and two delicious brunch dishes, along with a ginger, cucumber limeade which was lovely on a warm day. Parking can be a problem, especially on a Sunday when the farmer's market (right behind it) is in progress. Our server was terrific, and explained several dishes, since it was difficult to make a decision; we sat on the patio and it seemed less noisy than the dining room. I can't wait to go back for dinner.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

We went for a late lunch, got there shortly before the afternoon predinner closure, and still had a great meal. (Some places will hustle you out- not so here). The simple, locally sourced food is surprisingly elegant in presentation, totally non stuffy, and altogether great. This is hipster heaven, but lotsa normal folks were eating too. We were not there at the peak lunch hour, and crowding was not an issue- but I could see how the kitchen could get overwhelmed. A full bar finishes off the picture nicely, and their pies are a serious source of pride.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Trendy new place that served us a yummy breakfast. However, for the price we paid, two of our three orders were very small. Specialty breakfast dishes with yummy descriptions on the menu. Nice waitress but I can get a similar breakfast elsewhere in town for much less $$. I would like to try their burgers or other lunch sandwiches sometime - maybe I'll change my mind and add a star or two. For now, the value and cost ratios were not what they should be.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Great addition to the neighborhood and love the retro building and interior.

Small parking lot, very small. We got super lucky and got a parking spot in the lot as soon as pulled in for Sunday brunch. The wait was about 45 minutes around 11:40am so we walked over to the Hillcrest Farmer's Market, browsed, and the hostess was just calling our name. Damn, can you say lucky?

We started off brunch with the Maple Bacon Doughnuts. 3 donuts for $7. Pricing is good but would love the option to order just one. What if I didn't want to eat more than one? The donuts come out warm and the bacon is perfectly crispy. Good balance of the maple and bacon. Definitely one of the better maple bacon donuts I've had.

My friend and I both shared the Smoked Chicken Popover and the Brisket Hash. I wasn't a big fan of the Chicken Popover. I just don't like popovers in general. Where's all the carbs in a popover? The chicken was good and the prok rinds were a good addition but the dish was nothing special and wasn't exciting.

The Brisket Hash is good for the first 5 bites. Then there's no more brisket and it's all potatoes. Not enough meat for the $18 price tag. Actually, this dish isn't worth the $18. The portion size looks big because of the bowl it comes in but it's 50% potatoes.

Same owner as Hash House a Go Go but anyone can figure that out just by looking at their menu. It was very similar menu items without the ridiculous portion sizes.
I would only return here for their donuts but didn't think the breakfast was worth the price.