“Design Your Pizza Yourself!!”
Review of Project Pie - CLOSED

Project Pie
Price range: US$3 - US$10
Cuisines: Pizza
Description: Project Pie is the culmination of our pursuit to design and serve great pizza. We call it Artisan Pizza. It all starts with our scratch made dough freshly prepared every day in our restaurants. It continues with our signature tomato sauce made in house with fresh-cut basil and our special spice blend. We use the finest ingredients, including 100% whole milk mozzarella cheese, prosciutto, roasting our brussels sprouts and caramelizing our onions right in our oven. You design your pizza how you want and we build it right in front of you. Sure we have some awesome combinations to get you started or you can create your own custom pie. We bake your pizza in our open fire deck oven for about 2 minutes and serve it to you in seconds. None of this can happen without great people. What sets up apart is our outstanding service. We don't have customers, we have guests. Our restaurant is a great place to unwind with friends and family while enjoying great tasting food.
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Been to Project Pie three times now so you know my family and I are enjoying this place. Anyway, my 11-year old son is a die-hard "make your own pizza" type so he continuously searches for such establishments. This was borne out of an experience he had, and enjoyed, in a similar restaurant in Westwood near UCLA. Lo and behold! He finds this place called Project Pie. So off we went and found a gem in Hillcrest! We walked in and were immediately greeted by the staff. There are some 5 or 6 pre-set pies but what's great is you can add anything else they have...without any per items cost increases! And the selections were varied enough without being overwhelming and intimidating. The end result is a pie to your liking with excellent thin and crispy crust. The sodas do taste different and delicious being made with real sugar!! To top it off, the staff is really friendly and the service outstanding (Hi! Siri!! Understand your claim to be the original "Siri"!!). Anyway, the quotes on the walls range from the whimsical to the philosophical to the humorous! Better read than the back of the cereal box. The one downer was parking which is very small and shared with other businesses but is free for 30 minutes. Even though I never had problems parking there, it may have been because I always have been there mid-afternoon on a weekend. I could only imagine how it'll be on a weekday lunch hour. But still, I won't hold it against the staff that is doing such an excellent job!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

I was first introduced to the concept of building your own pizza in L.A. It's good to see it's now here in San Diego with Project Pie. You can put as many items as you like on your pizza for one price - less than $8.00 and it's a good sized pizza. Choice of crusts is white and gluten-free. I personally would like to see whole wheat as an option, too. Sauces can be red (tomato based), white (alfredo) or oil. Lots of choices for toppings. The pizza is ready really fast. Service is excellent. I would definitely go back. And you can continue your spiritual development by reading all the amazing quotes on the wall!

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Amazing spot to go to and become a artist of pizza making. The extra toppings are not extra pricey because it's all one prize no matter how many toppings you add. If you are a pizza lover then this is the spot to go and be creative. Highly recommended to go when in San Diego.

Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

Build your own pizza or order from a simple menu. Great for kids after a long day at the beach or a shopping trip. Drinks are made from pure sugar cane definite plus. Great food!

Reviewed 7 November 2013

My friend and I went there on a Saturday at around 3pm and beat the rush. Who knew this place would get packed out on a Saturday at 3:15? It was our first time there. Customer service was great. Place was clean. The place reminded us of the Chipotle chain restaurant by the way of the set up. It is ingenious to have custom personal sized pizzas. I asked for pesto and love the fact that they just didn't lightly drizzle it on my pie...they covered that pie with the green tasty goodness! yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because of the thin crust, the pies bake quickly. I can see Project Pie being extremely busy during the work week at lunch hour. I will return there for sure. Both my friend and I enjoyed our meals. Bathrooms were clean too (side note: the bathrooms were easily accessible unlike other "urban" places where you need a token to get in or a bathroom key from staff to get inside).

1  Thank KellenKellen