“Excellent food, great staff and atmosphere!”

Khyber Pass Restaurant
Ranked #418 of 4,799 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$14 - US$14
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Afghani
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Kitchener, Canada
“Excellent food, great staff and atmosphere!”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We ate at the Khyber Pass restaurant our first night in San Diego, based on a recommendation from Ann Callahan, our host at the Hillcrest House B & B. This is a must-do restaurant if you enjoy interesting food. We had a mixed plate as an appetizer with Afghani baba ghanouj hummus, and two kinds of samosas... Our main course was a vegetarian platter and a lamb stew with saffron and cardamom. My wife had a traditional chai tea with cardamom that was very smooth and delicious, and I had an Indian beer called Taj Mahal, followed by baklava for my wife an a pistachio pudding for me, afghani coffee, spiced with cardamom.

An excellent meal and great staff! Our server, Miguel, was great to deal with, very friendly and knowledgable about all the different dishes on the menu. Highly recommend this great restaurant!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank DougNix

Clovis, California
“Unbelievably Good!”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We had never had Afghani food before, but won't hesitate to try it again after our experience at Khyber Pass. They will help you make selections that suit your taste from an extensive menu. What type of food is it? Think Kabobs, yogurt, Hummus, Basmati rice and well balanced savory spices. There are nice nuances in flavors and it isn't overwhelming at all. The staff is so friendly and helpful. You will have a great evening of dining there.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank CayUcusZ
San diego
“Great culinary experience”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Wow! Such an experience of different spices and ingredients. I had curry shrimp and I must say it was the best curry sauce I have ever tasted. My husband had the cherry lamb and it was great! I never would have thought that a cherry sauce could be so good and the lamb melted in your mouth. We also had a variety of appetizers and the sauces were outstanding. The cilantro & lime based chutney was too good. Prices were good, especially for the amount of food. We had desert & tea at the end of our meal - both were very good. If you are looking to experience a taste of Afghanistan then go here.

• Visited May 2013
Brooklyn, NY
“GREAT FOOD”
Reviewed 20 March 2013

This Afghan restaurant is just wonderful. Having never eaten this type of food, we were very hesitant but found it to be just delicious. ]The restaurant is pretty, the staff is very friendly and helpful and the food quality is fresh, tasty and excellent. With all the restaurants in the Hillcrest Neighborhood, we eat here very often because like it so much. We have taken our visitors there and they love it as well. We look forward to our yearly visit to San Diego so that we can eat here.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank maidele
San Diego, California
“Delicious food, excellent prices”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We dined here last week, and were very impressed. My entree of chicken w. apricots was delicious, as was my companion's lamb dish. Service was spot on, a nice pour of pinot for me and we left feeling very satisfied. We will return.

• Visited February 2013