“Last meal at Croce's :-(”
Review of Croce's Restaurant and Jazz Bar - CLOSED

Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: F st.
Description: Croce's Restaurant and Jazz Bar, a popular Gaslamp landmark, and a tribute to singer-songwriter Jim Croce, offers Contemporary American Cuisine, a Wine Spectator Award Winning Wine List and Live Music Nightly.
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We made a special trip to San Diego the last week of 2013 to have a final meal at Croce's Restaurant, which closed December 31. Luckily the new restaurant, Croce's Park West, in the Banker's Hill section of town is already open (softly) and the staff from the old place are moving to the new place.

We made dinner reservations for December 26th, and snagged a table in the bar, right next to the live musicians. This was our third meal at Croce's in 2013 - in February, September and December.

We both had a fabulous meal, a great bottle of wine (at an excellent price) and a fabulous dinner. Ingrid Croce stopped by, and we wished her well in her new restaurant. I wonder what the landlord has in mind for this spot. I bet it's not going to be as nice as Croce's has been for 30 years.

Next trip, it's out of the Gaslamp district for us, and for Croce's, too.

There are newer reviews for Croce's Restaurant and Jazz Bar

Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

Decided on this restaurant just by walking by, reading the menu, and speaking with the hostess. The OWNER seated us and must have heard us talking about it being my birthday because every staff member that we spoke to after that wished me a happy birthday. Nice touch!! The service was excellent as was the food. I saw another review that said it was loud. It was, but not so much so that we couldn't have a conversation. Besides, we were there at 9:30 on a Saturday night...in a restaurant with live music....I'd expect it to be a bit loud. Overall it was a great experience.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

My husband and I ate here one evening on our vacation in San Diego. The restaurant was almost full and a band was playing, so it was loud - not the place to go for an intimate dinner.

Service was friendly. They had a lot of wine choices, but prices were a bit high. Food was good, not great. The grilled duck was a little tough and could have had more flavour. The BBQ ribs were tasty and tender.

The waitress informed us that as of the new year this location was closing and they were moving up the street quite a ways as the lease was up. The new restaurant is going to be more of a tapas bar than restaurant.

I am glad we went because I listened to Jim Croce as a kid.

Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Its a good place to eat out if you happen to visit San Diego. . And also if you like jazz music. this lady sings really good.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

This was a great experience, the atmosphere, the jazz music, and the food all made for a memorable night.

We arrived late and they fitted us in without a reservation. It was loud, but we had requested a table near the band. I thought the music was good (and I am not a jazz fan – but the jazz fans seemed even more impressed).

We had a spinach salad and a wedge salad as starters followed by meatballs and a meat loaf. The food was not the very best we had whilst in California, but all the dishes were good.

As for value for money the above dishes plus a glass of orange juice and glass of wine set us back $89.10 including tax

I liked the atmosphere and the jazz and I enjoyed the food and would happily go again