“Holy Mole!”
Review of El Agave

El Agave
Reserve with OpenTable
El Agave is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #201 of 4,848 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Cross street: Old Town Ave
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Fantastic mole. Hands down the best mole sauce I have ever tasted. I had the Mole Negro "from Oaxaca, with four different chilis: pasilla, mulato, ancho and chipotle, tortilla, deep fried banana, sesame seed, peanuts, almonds, walnuts, raisins, tomato, tomatillo, celery, cinnamon, oregano, and more," served over pork with a side of rice. My wife had the Mole Poblano Don Julio, which the menu says is "the soul of Mexican moles made from scratch with pasilla, ancho, and mulato chilis as well as other ingredients such as tomatillo, clove, black pepper, chocolate, garlic, cinnamon, coriander seed, sesame seed, and more." She had it over chicken.

The atmosphere is great, invoking a sense of an old hacienda. The tequila selection on the menu reaches almost 500 labels. We had mescal, however, and then a couple of excellent margaritas.

The service costs El Agave a circle in my book. I would just call it inattentive, bordering on neglectful. We had to ask for everything. We felt like an afterthought with the waiter, even though this tiny place was only half full, if that.

But bad service or not, this is great mole. I don't know about the rest of the menu, but this is clearly their specialty and they do it right. I would go back, next trip to San Diego and Old Town.

2  Thank le_meridional

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Not your standard tourist Mexican fare, fine dining without rice and beans in sight. I had Trilogy Chicken dish, featuring a wonderful stuffing and three moles. The moles are excellent. Our salad was fresh and easily could be split. Their tequila collection is extensive and we were guided to a tasting of a repos ado and the house anejo. wonderful!

Reviewed 26 March 2014

This out-of-the-central-area of Old Town Mexican restaurant is lovely inside and has lots of tequila bottles as decor. The prices are quite high. I really wanted some basic Mexican (even if gringo-ized) Mexican food but got what they call Mexican nouvelle cuisine. I ordered enchiladas that were okay but not great. Came with a salad instead of rice and beans. As long as you know what to expect, I suppose it is okay. But where were the tostadas???? (I love tostadas!)

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Enjoying a brief trip to San Diego from our home in Mexico, we enjoyed dinner with our friends who recommended El Agave in Old Town. The food, service and drinks were excellent and the cost extremely high. I usually follow the axiom that "you get what you pay for", but El Agave takes it to a new level. The food choices and preparation match the "high end " excellent restaurants in San Miguel de Allende, however I was a bit surprised by the "high end" price. Welcome back to the U.S. price structure. I had pork with garlic and achiote sauce which was excellent. One of my friends had chicken with a mole sauce that he also deemed excellent. The waiters were all very competent, and whipping back and forth between English and Spanish to help the Spanish speaker make her choice. The atmosphere is true "tequila", displaying what is advertised as about 1,000 choices of tequila. Enjoy El Agave, it is excellent.

1  Thank George M
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Took almost an hour and half to get the food. The server keep forgetting to bring bread. A colleague didn't get her food made what she asked and by the time she hot her order, other's good got a bit cold. Too pricey for what we were served.