“Pretty Much The Opposite of Tex - Mex ---- Muy Bueno” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Agave

El Agave
Reserve with OpenTable
El Agave is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #167 of 4,699 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Cross street: Old Town Ave
Sarasota, FL
“Pretty Much The Opposite of Tex - Mex ---- Muy Bueno”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

El Agave offers some of the best Mexican cuisine that I've ever experienced.

If you're expecting cheesy, beany Tex - Mex, don't go there.

If you want some of the tastiest Mexican comida that you've ever experienced,
head to El Agave.

We were staying in Coronado and we bummed rides to dine there twice.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank baycityart

Brookfield, Wisconsin
“Upscale, authentic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

The setting is lovely with dark polished wood, and soft lighting. My daugher-in-law, whose family is from Mexico wanted to try several of the moles, and they accommodated her wishes. We all tried different entrees and shared tastes since we were from out of town and wouldn't have the chance to return in the near future. I won't go into what we ordered, but everyone was very happy with our choices.

The tequila selection is marvelous, the food very upscale and the selection interesting.
It is a special place, and not the usual Tex-Mex goo. IF children dine there, they should be old enough to be unobtrusive.

The service was attentive, and professional. I wish that I could be a regular customer.

Tucson, Arizona
“Holy Mole!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Fantastic mole. Hands down the best mole sauce I have ever tasted. I had the Mole Negro "from Oaxaca, with four different chilis: pasilla, mulato, ancho and chipotle, tortilla, deep fried banana, sesame seed, peanuts, almonds, walnuts, raisins, tomato, tomatillo, celery, cinnamon, oregano, and more," served over pork with a side of rice. My wife had the Mole Poblano Don Julio, which the menu says is "the soul of Mexican moles made from scratch with pasilla, ancho, and mulato chilis as well as other ingredients such as tomatillo, clove, black pepper, chocolate, garlic, cinnamon, coriander seed, sesame seed, and more." She had it over chicken.

The atmosphere is great, invoking a sense of an old hacienda. The tequila selection on the menu reaches almost 500 labels. We had mescal, however, and then a couple of excellent margaritas.

The service costs El Agave a circle in my book. I would just call it inattentive, bordering on neglectful. We had to ask for everything. We felt like an afterthought with the waiter, even though this tiny place was only half full, if that.

But bad service or not, this is great mole. I don't know about the rest of the menu, but this is clearly their specialty and they do it right. I would go back, next trip to San Diego and Old Town.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank le_meridional
Hartsdale, New York
“Real Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Not your standard tourist Mexican fare, fine dining without rice and beans in sight. I had Trilogy Chicken dish, featuring a wonderful stuffing and three moles. The moles are excellent. Our salad was fresh and easily could be split. Their tequila collection is extensive and we were guided to a tasting of a repos ado and the house anejo. wonderful!

San Diego, CA
“Not as good as I was expecting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

This out-of-the-central-area of Old Town Mexican restaurant is lovely inside and has lots of tequila bottles as decor. The prices are quite high. I really wanted some basic Mexican (even if gringo-ized) Mexican food but got what they call Mexican nouvelle cuisine. I ordered enchiladas that were okay but not great. Came with a salad instead of rice and beans. As long as you know what to expect, I suppose it is okay. But where were the tostadas???? (I love tostadas!)

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Been to El Agave? Share your experiences!