“Great Curry”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Washington Ave
Reviewed 1 September 2013

This was a beautiful restaurant with excellent service and reasonable prices. The curry is "safe" for sensitive palates; they have mild, medium and spicy levels. Menu is pretty extensive. Great lettuce wrap appetizers, too. The restaurant is located in the Hillcrest district.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

My husband and I really liked our dinner at this restaurant. The service was great, and the waiter was very educated and pleasant. We sat outdoors and it was very nice. I had never had indian food before and really liked it. I ordered one of the curries with lamb, mild spice. Would come back.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

This is an attractive restaurant that did not meet our expectations. As a group we ordered three entrees to share: tandoori chicken (it was okay, not wonderful), the mixed grill (not at all appetizing or tasty), a lamb dish (it was good), and two orders of naan, garlic and plain. Rice accompanied the entrees. I had a pleasant evening, but it was because of the company and, unfortunately, not because of the food.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

My background:
British Indian - I have eaten Indian food around the world - in UK (40+ restaurants), Germany, Italy, India, New Zealand, Brazil, US-NY, US-NJ, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Singapore...

So I have a lot of experience, not to mention my mother's cooking since birth.
The restaurant itself is nice decor and staff are friendly and courteous - no problems with service.
I ordered a mixed grill, bombay potatoes and Naan.

Honestly the food was terrible - I didn't even finish my plate. There were meant to a tandoori and a tikka in the mixed grill, but I like white meat, so asked for the tikka and tandoori to be both.
I received the dish which contained sheekh kebab, fish tikka, apparently chicken tikka and tandoori.
I could not tell the difference between the tandoori and tikka - was told 'they are the same but different parts of the chicken!' That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard - never mind at an Indian restaurant!!
The lamb fish were not edible and I had to leave them.
The best part of the meal was the draught beer and the naan bread.

This is not Indian food for anyone who knows what real Indian food is. It is a type of cuisine for people who have never eaten real Indian food - I suggest you guys visit either NY, New Jersey, or my beloved UK.

Bottom line: If you want to try a different cuisine, go to this restaurant, but if you want to enjoy Indian food - stay clear of this place. I suspect very few people who have written these reviews have ever eaten proper authentic Indian food in their lives - no disrespect.
If I was given McDonalds Hamburger and told it was prime fillet steak and I had never had steak anywhere else - I would think McDonalds burgers were great steak! This is exactly what has happened at this restaurant. (Apparently the chef is Indian - no idea what he is doing)

Reviewed 7 June 2013

The variety of the flavors from India was amazing on the lunch buffet. There were several choices for salads, rice dishes, entrees, samosas, and desserts. I appreciated the range of spices - from very mild to moderately spicy. Although I'm sure the servers would have willingly brought a VERY spicy dish upon request. The iced tea had a slight fruit flavor which was a perfect compliment to the meal. I loved this lunch!

1  Thank earlyam