“Delicious vietnamese food in a run down location”

Phuong Trang Restaurant
Ranked #889 of 4,932 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Wander off the beaten path for some great Vietnamese food, especially if you are looking for a menu that goes beyond the usual Pho. I started with first rate Salty Fried Shrimp (shells on) as an appetizer followed by Sugarcane Shrimp and Grilled Pork - both dishes to be wrapped (by the diner) in rice paper with vegetables. The Salty Fried Shrimp and the Grilled Pork were both top notch. The sugarcane shrimp was good, but not served on the sugarcane which is our preference. Prepare to share as the portions were much larger than expected.

The location is in an old, not very attractive strip shopping center on Convoy St - not an attractive neighborhood and not near tourist attractions. However, the service was efficient and friendly.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

This place was busy, usually packed. However, their service was quite good and fast. We did not wait long. We ordered Hot-Pot Seafood & Meat, a mistake. It's plain, not tasted. Crispy Chicken Egg Roll was a standard. Shrimp Spring Rolls were, however, a disappointment: not much shrimp you can appreciate and the dipping peanut sauce was plain.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

I went to Phuong Trang after a hike on a Sunday. I had heard great things from numerous people who go to my gym so it's been on my list of places to try for awhile. I'm so glad I finally went!

I went with a group of 3 guys who were all ravenous so we ordered a bunch of food to share family style. We got fried egg rolls, Beef Cube Steak with Fried Rice, Chicken with Lemongrass and Hot Pepper, Pork Spare Ribs Sautéed in Fish Sauce, and Garlic Butter Wings. The beef cube steak came with fried rice and the other entrees came with white rice (I asked for brown rice instead).

The beef cube steak was really tasted and came out piping hot in a sizzling platter. There was a pat of butter on top that melted and added a richness to the beef and grilled onions. The chicken with lemongrass had a small kick from the hot peppers and it was the new favorite dish for the guys. The pork spare ribs were ok; good pieces of meat but it got a little lost next to the other dishes. I'm not a huge fan of egg rolls or chicken wings. Having said that, the egg rolls were pretty good. These are thinner and longer than regular egg rolls. We ate one wrapped in lettuce. I've never tried egg rolls like that, but one of the guys told me that's how someone else taught him to eat it. I liked the addition of the lettuce! An added bonus is that the grease from the egg rolls aren't left on your fingers. The chicken wings were great; super crispy and tons of fried garlic.

The service was good on the day we went. The ladies kept coming by to fill up our drinks and ask how things were. But when we were ready to leave, they didn't come by for awhile.

I live and go to a gym that's close to Phuong Trang so I'm excited to go back and try more foods off their huge menu!

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Let me start by saying my experiences with asian food in the USA has been hit and miss despite positive reviews like this place has. But I must say it was a very pleasant surprise! Decor was a little dated, but so what? A restaurant is all about the food and this place delivers. My wife had a vermicelli bowl, I had a rice plate, and my son had pho. The vermicelli and rice were just okay. I ordered mine with egg, but when I got my plate there was no egg to be found. Flavor was nothing exceptional, but tasty. The pho was actually quite good. My son ate pretty much all of his meal.

The kicker though was the eggroll appy. At first we didn't know what to do with the plate of lettuce and mint and cilantro that came to the plate initially, but fortunately the table next to ours ordered the same thing and we saw them wrapping the eggrolls in the leafy greens and so we did the same. My word what a flavor experience! A perfect blend of hot, crunchy, fresh, and crispy with bursts of mint and cilantro. It was so good we ordered another!

Service was also good as our water glasses were never empty. But really you want to go to this place for the eggrolls...nothing but the eggrolls...

Reviewed 2 January 2013

Crispy, crunchy, fresh, and hot....that's how they should taste and that's what they serve here. None of that soggy, pale, stuffed-with-unidentifiable-ingredients that other Asian restaurants serve. They topped off my Vermicelli noodle bowl so beautifully, and complimented the grilled pork skewers. Disappointed in the nuoc mam sauce though, as I found it a bit bland. The other fantastic part of the meal was my husband's Vietnamese iced coffee. Many places bring it to the table with the coffee already stirred up in a glass of ice, already diluted when it arrives at the table. This place serves it the authentic way...a stainless steel pot of coffee grounds dripping into the ceramic coffee cup below, piping hot and fragrant. A chilled glass of ice waits by it's side...when you are ready, you pour the coffee over the ice yourself, and the lovely condensed milk mixes in with the coffee, all swirly and beautiful over the frozen ice...and you get to drink it before it becomes diluted. So, so yummy!! I can't tolerate the caffeine level, but I did try a spoonful and the flavor was divine. We enjoyed the chicken wing appetizers with chili and green onion...they were hot, crunchy, not greasy, though the wings themselves were a little "fatty". Atmosphere is bright, clean, and service was quick. Diner demographics were approximately 50% Asian, 50% non-Asian. Plenty of parking, easy to find, right off Convoy. Definitely deserves a return visit.