“Take me out to the ball game!!”
Review of Petco Park

Petco Park
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
San Diego GoCar Tour
Ranked #12 of 453 things to do in San Diego
Reviewed 5 September 2011

This was our first trip to a MLB game and decided to go for Labor Day weekend. The Padres were playing the Giants and despite the unhappy ending for the Padres fans, we loved our visit. The staff was very helpful and nice, giving temporary tattoos to our boys (10,7) directing us to our seats, just very friendly. We sat in section 317 row 2 and saw the action very well. We were close to the bathrooms and food/beer. It was a rare day of rain while there, and we got a little wet, as there wasn't anything covering us in that section, but we were able to step out of the rain and under the overhang near the food area. Everyone around us were decent people, so nothing crazy or not so kid-friendly. All in all a great time, the "beach" seats and park at the park also had pretty decent views although odstructed by a fence, but something to think about if you have young kids who want to move about. Loved it don't know what took us so long to finally get tickets, look forward to another game soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,736)
All reviews
in 105 reviews
"craft beer"
in 53 reviews

Reviewed 4 September 2011

I'm a die hard Yankee fan, but this stadium is a must see! I loved the history and detail of the stadium, we tried to catch a game but both baseball and football teams were away for the week, but I am glad they were, because the tour guide and the stadium was worth visiting while they were preparing to go to San Francisco. We even got to see some of the players boarding their bus to go to play the Giants. I do like the stadium and the prices to see a game is phenomenal!

Reviewed 3 September 2011

The tour of Petco Park where the Padres play in San Diego is a great attraction. We purchased our Tour tickets online before our arrival in San Diego -- just in case they were sold out. As it turned out, there were only four of us on the tour, so we could have waited. Who knew! It was a Friday at 12:30 in April, so not a prime time for tourists. You can purchase tickets near the front gate.

Anyway, the park is huge and much walking is involved. The tour guide did a great job giving lots of tidbits of interesting info and showed us all around the vast facility. The tour lasted just a bit less than 2 hours, though times can vary. The architecture of the park is very interesting -- the way sandstone and wood and palm trees and fountains and all sorts of materials are blended to create a unique appearance. Especially noteworthy is the fact that a historic building over a hundred years old and once owned by the Western Metal Supply Co. was incorporated into the design of the park. The city would not allow the building to be demolished, so it became part of the left field foul pole (among other things). The historical integrity of the building has been kept, including original floors, ceilings and radiators. Another unique feature of the park is the large green park beyond the outfield where people can sit on the lawn (for a small fee) during games, and also a section of sand they call "the beach" where kids can play while parents watch the game. We also saw locker rooms and sat in the announcers booth.

There is also a nice shop to buy baseball items. I am not particularly a sports fan (although my husband most definitel is), but I still very much enjoyed our tour of Petco Park. It's quite interesting the way this huge park is tucked right in the edge of the vast downtown area of San Diego.

Reviewed 1 September 2011

Not being into baseball, or having watched a lot of it in my time, I thought I'd take the chance while in the US to go and see a game. I was really impressed with both the park and the atmosphere. The stadium is well integrated into the city, with some old buildings right up against the end of the seating tiers. The staff working were all nice, stadium was clean and well laid out. Am not sure how much you can see if there is no game on, but if there is, it's a well spent few hours, with the games in the evening, the late sun just adds to it.

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 August 2011

My friend and I are both big baseball fans, so when we were in San Diego last month we were both pretty excited about going to Petco Park and catching a Padres game. The stadium is very nice (helped by San Diego's fantastic weather) and the Padres actually played a pretty rocking game!

I will definitely say this: If you have even the most tangential affiliation with the military, bring some sort of proof of it. Petco Park and the Padres are huge military boosters and you will get a wildly better deal than you would otherwise!

Beyond that, it's a baseball stadium. You know the drill.

1  Thank WashDCTravelGuy