“Baseball in your living room”
Review of Petco Park

and up
San Diego GoCar Tour
Ranked #6 of 452 things to do in San Diego
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I am slowly but surely getting around to all the ballparks in the major leagues with my teenage son who is a big fan. We have visited many of the parks in the northeast where we live plus some midwest teams as well. On a recent west coast trip we did 3 ballparks, Dodgers, Angels and Padres. Petco Park stands out amongst the 3 obviously because it is so much newer but this was one of the most intimate stadiums I have ever been in. We had pretty good seat down low about 20 rows up from the field but it felt like I was so close to the action as if I was sitting in front of my large flat screen at home. Incredible site lines, great concessions and an incredibly fun town with lots of places to eat. This was a very fun and easy place to see a ballgame.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,719)
All reviews
in 105 reviews
"craft beer"
in 53 reviews

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Ticket prices here are generally less than at other parks I've visited. Park was clean and comfortable. Most people were pleasant and there to have a good time.

1  Thank TonyTTA
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I have never been to a baseball field like Petco Park (and my husband & I love pro baseball). First, I was in meetings all day & my husband found out that the park offers behind the scenes tours on days when the Padres are in town--he went & he highly recommends it! On the tour you learn about so many interesting aspects of the park. Second, there are no drunk lurkers drooling on your back as they wait for their brat order to come up. Instead, the food & ware vendors are located along the backside of the park & that dramatically ups the enjoyment factor (unless you like the smell of cheap hot dogs & belched beer coming over your shoulder!). Finally, it's just plain beautiful! We stayed downtown at the Residence Inn so we could be in walking distance & it was well worth it. The stroll to the game & the looksee around the field before the game were quite wonderful. While you're there, check out the snazzy way they incorporated the historic building out in left field, really cool.

Reviewed 8 September 2011

We went on the tour of the the stadium a couple of days before the game we were going to watch. The tour was included in the Go San Diego card I had purchased, but I think it reasonable without the card or discount. The tour was great, got to see a lot of behind the scenes and the tour guide gave us some really useful info. He didn't try to push any extras for the stadium, in fact quite the opposite. He explained how you can nip out during the game to have a drink or to get drinks and food before game as it was much cheaper than inside the stadium. He also showed where expensive seats were and said but you can stand immediately behind these seats and pay $50 less than people 1 foot in front of you.
Game day was also good, we had good seats and the fans all seemed friendly. Access around the park was good and so was getting to and from it using the trolley (park free in trolley car park at Old Town).
The only negative is the price of food and drink, but that was to be expected and we did lose (also expected).
We were on the jumbo-tron twice. My son was pleased after the game as he was stopped a few times on the way home by fans saying they saw him on the big screen.
It was a Friday night game and there was fireworks after the game. They were worth waiting for and MUCH better than the ones we had seen earlier in the week at Seaworld.

1  Thank gilders
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 September 2011

First visit to the newer Petco Park. Had been to the old Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium home of the Pads before but this place is nice. What I loved most was the $5.00 stadium access pass which we used to sit in the lawn area of the park. Living in a city with very average baseball teams (Cubs/Sox) during the last 2 decades both teams could use some PR tips on how this place is set up. Loved the SD Store where basic Padre gear was available for under $10 (Cap-$7/Shirt-$8). We would definitely go back to the family friendly Petco Park. Hot dogs weren't great but loved the variety of food. Parking very accessible around the park too. Get some lawn seats and have a good time.

1  Thank NIKE0033