“What a wonderful place!”

Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Ranked #38 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 2 May 2011

The rooms are gorgeous, as is the Lobby, the pool deck is stylish and chic. I never wanted to leave!!! Only complaint is no tub in the bathroom but that's the new trend, I guess. I love Kimpton!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank holyjes
Write a ReviewReviews (2,097)

Reviewed 29 April 2011

My wife and I, along with our 10 year old son spent a week in San Diego during Easter vacation, staying at the Hotel Solamar. From the moment we checked in, I was impressed by the very friendly and helpful staff. Our room was clean, spacious, and offered a view of the 4th floor swimming pool and patio. Free coffee and hot water for tea was available every morning near the front desk, plus an assortment of complimentary newspapers. Nice touch ! The hotel is located in the heart of San Diego's Gas Lamp district which offers a plethora of restaurants and retail stores. Although the Solamar has a restaurant, I would rate the food as average. We stopped in after an evening baseball game hoping for good snacking food, such as burgers, wings, etc. but the menu offerings were slim. The restaurant's bar offers plenty of seating, but prices are a little high. Better to stop into the 7/11 a couple of blocks away... or the corner liquor store to get your adult beverages. Other than being disappointed because of a lack of cuisine variety, my only other negative is the hotel's fitness center...three treadmills, a rack of dumbell weights and a couple of exercise mats. Woefully lacking, for those of us who enjoy a good workout while on vacation. Overall, Hotel Solamar is a very nice place to spend a week.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank TheMaj
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Boutique hotel in Gaslamp district within walking distance of many sites and restaurants. Staff is quite exceptional in all areas from valet to room service. Free wine and munchies in the evening and coffee in the morning served in the lobby. The beds and pillows were sooo comfy! Onsite parking available for $35/night.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 April 2011

We had a great stay at the Kimpton, nothing but positive feedback. We have been travelling around and were pleased to finally rest here. The swimming pool on the deck was fantastic, the food was great.

Reviewed 26 April 2011

It's in a great location - a few steps from the Gaslamp Quarter (nightlife and restaurants) and a short walk to the baseball park, or the Coronado ferry. Our room overlooked the rooftop bar/pool area - it was a great place to relax after a day of travel.

Rooms were spacious and comfortable. Service was excellent. I'd return in a heartbeat.

A few fun facts:
-the room came with an animal print robe, just for fun!
-there is a daily 'free wine' hour in the lobby

Reviewed 25 April 2011

Stayed for a quick overnight with my husband on April 22nd.

Pros-Upon entering we were warmly greeted by the valet which was great and they really knocked themselves out to help.

Room was nice but fairly small, not inspiring lay out. Great shower! Sounds silly but the water pressure was amazing and I could have stayed in all day : )

Cons- the front desk service was pretty cold and we ended up in a room with a pretty unappetizing view (the dirty rooftop and air conditioning).

Walls are VERY thin!! About 1am we could hear our neighbors (and their barking dog) in the room next door. I love my dog and all, but I take issue with nice hotels allowing dogs. I could see holiday inn or travel motels but when you go somewhere for a relaxing weekend, I don't want to see or hear dogs everywhere.

Restaurant-service great and food plated well but blah. It all lacked flavor.

Just a little thing. Thei bathroom in the lobby's soap dispensers were missing their spouts. So soap was dripping all over the granite. Just touches that I think hotels should be on top of. For both of them to be broken off??? Come on.

Over all, hotel is just ok. A little dark and not very inviting or warm. Will try somewhere else, next time.

2  Thank mrsscoopy
Reviewed 21 April 2011

I actually loved the entire hotel, but we'd been on the road all day driving from Phoenix, AZ and it was so nice to relax on the sun deck. It's decorated very nicely with plenty of seating and chairs, as well as covered cabanas. The best part was that the pool was super warm, probably over 90 deg. and since it was still just April and not overly hot outside it was so relaxing. I sat on the top step and soaked up the sun. There's also a bar on the sun deck, which was convenient and fun.

If you are going to a Padre's game or want to stay in the fun Gaslamp area, I highly recommend the Solamar. The beds were also very comfortable. The wine reception looked fun as well and I noticed they were serving some appetizers too. We didn't get to stay for it or taste the wine, but many guests seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Only weird thing was some trash was left by the elevators on our floor and was never picked up, even after maid service had passed through.

I got a great deal through Sniquaway and will definitely look for more Kimpton hotels in my future travels.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family