“Great start to our honeymoon”

Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Ranked #39 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Coventry. UK
“Great start to our honeymoon”
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Loved the hotel solamar!! what a perfect start to our honeymoon. Staff were helpful and friendly from the moment we arrived till the moment we left, this was our second stay at a Kimpton hotel and boy does this company know the meaning of great customer service.

We had a bottle of complimentary wine waiting for us with a welcome letter when we arrived, our room was big, the bed was unbelievable comfortable, we had a sitting area we never had chance to use, and the bathroom was big with a huge bath and amazing shower!!

Took advantage of the complimentary coffee every morning, wasn't an issue to head down first thing and take a couple of cups back to the room. We used the restaurant for breakfast which was ok and expensive (use the broken yolk just over the road) also had one of the best burgers I've ever had from the pool bar when we first arrived, out bartender was friendly and helpful offering of tips and recommendations for the area,

We loved San Diego as a place, just a block away is a cool bar which is about 50 stories up and overlooks the baseball stadium. Ate at the Spaghetti Factory which was great value and reasonable quality (3 courses for around $10) and also used the Rocking Baja which was great food (amazing tequila shrimp). We used the trolley tour to explore the San Diego area, well worth the money and there is a stop a block down from the hotel, and enjoyed walking down the front to the USS Midway and the Southport Sea Village (quaint little shopping area).

To summarise, a 5 star stay at the Solamar, the perfect start to a fantastic honeymoon, would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Eric M, Director of Sales at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Well that was an amazing review!!! Thank you!!! Congratulations on your recent wedding and I'm thrilled we could be part of your honeymoon. Now we just have to schedule San Diego back into your travel plans for your one year anniversary :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
East Sussex, UK
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Kimpton hotels provide a refreshing change. The Solamar is a boutique hotel on the southern edge of the Gaslamp, very handy for restaurants, nightclubs and Petco park.

The hotel is boutique style, very trendy. Very nice rooms indeed. Excellent housekeeping services, minibar, TVs and bathroom amenities

Really liked the free coffee in lobby in the morning and the famous Kimpton wine hour in the evening

Staff very pleasant all over the hotel. For those wishing a pool stay, the Solamar deck is quite trendy and attracts a hip crowd, pool itself is small and shallow.

If you like boutique and want to be in the Gaslamp district, the hotel is highly recommended indeed

Room Tip: Interconnecting rooms are available
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
5 star reviews are my absolute favorite thing.... so thank you so much! You said everything very well, so I have nothing to add except for HUGE appreciation for staying with us. Hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 1 September 2012 via mobile

I get to San Diego somewhat regularly, and this hotel is becoming my go-to. You can typically find good rates (use AAA to cut parking in half), and the location is great. The free wine/sangria hour is a good way to start the night, and this stay I was greeted with a $10 mini bar voucher simply by being part of the loyalty program. There are so many dining options within 3 blocks that you will never go hungry. Maybe not the best choice on family trips, with the modern vibe and rooftop bar noise, but otherwise a great stay every time. Plus it's 10 minutes to the airport and the freeway; great spot.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your great review and for choosing us as your Go-To hotel when you travel to San Diego! We certainly try to make it feel like a home away from home, so I'm glad you are comfortable here with us. Hope to see you again soon, and thanks again.
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Ive stayed several times on a whim while partying downtown. I plan on going there tonight again actually. And i am gonna try the wine hour which ive actually missed out on every other time. I especially liked the staff. So friendly and non judgemental, given my adolescent appearance. They treated me with the utmost respect and consideration. Which is hard to come by theses days being as young as i am in my business.

• Stayed August 2012
Eric M, Director of Sales at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Thanks for your comments Eddie. I'm particularly thankful on how our team made you feel during your visits and that they themselves continue to shine with our guests. I hope you had another great stay and thanks for your repeat vists. Loyal guests are a true sign of the job we do every day. Thanks again.
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed 28 August 2012

As a first time traveller to San Diego, I was concerned about where to stay but after looking at several hotels I settled on the Hotel Solamar for our 5 night stay. My initial thoughts when we arrived was it was too far away from the shops and restaurants, but quickly discovered this was not true and was a great choice and location. A block away from the Gaslamp main street where all the restaurants and shops are, but far enough to not be in the middle of all the noise and action, which picks up over the weekend. Down the road is the the Padres baseball ground which luckily enough hosted a game during our stay so we walked to a game for a fun evening. The hotel staff are friendly and were happy to answer any questions or guide you. There is complimentary water in the foyer which is nice when you have been out in the warm day, complimentary coffee and tea in the morning and a happy hour at 5pm for the guests where you can sit in a comfy area with a glass of wine or two if you are back for the afternoon and makes for a nice get to know you/social atmosphere. Pool area looked great from our room even though we didn't use it but looked like a nice relaxing area with a bar and sitting areas. Loved it and would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 star review really make me happy! :) Thank you so so much for staying with Solamar and for your fantastic review. I'm thrilled about the great experience you had here.

You touched on so many great qualites of the hotel and the local area.... and you described them perfectly. Thanks again and safe travels back home.
Linthicum Heights, Maryland
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My husband I and stayed here for a week while he attended a conference at the San Diego Convention Center. This hotel is super cute and trendy. I love the inside design and colors used. The lobby is almost a little too dim but other than that it’s great. The staff is so friendly!! We were always greeted by the front desk staff and the valet guys. They would ask how our stay was going and give us suggestions on what to check out nearby. Our room was very clean and spacious. Everything is so modern and fun looking. The bed was very comfortable as was oversized chair and ottoman. The hotel is listed as pet friendly and never once did we smell or hear any pets. There is a special welcome sign out front for dogs and it has their names on it. I thought it was very cute. The hotel also offers tea and coffee in the morning, iced coffee in the afternoon and a wine happy hour around 5, all of which is complimentary. Our room had a view of Bub’s at the Ball Park and the stadium. We only noticed street noise when we had the window open, once it was closed you couldn’t hear a thing. My only minor issue was there is no air conditioning. I guess it doesn’t get hot enough in San Diego to need it? There was a fan unit in the room but no ac. I love a super cold room so that was really the only issue I had. The pool deck is a decent size with a heated pool. It was a little too cool for pool lounging so I never went for a swim. I thought the location was great. We were within close walking distance to the convention center and lots of great restaurants. Thankfully this was a work trip and we didn’t have to pay for the hotel or valet parking. I don’t know what the going rate is for daily parking in San Diego but I thought the hotel was a big high. The price changed depending on the day and the time.

I’m a Marriott person at heart so I was a little leery trying somewhere new but I am so glad I did.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so much for the great review and for trying something new in your travels. You made my Friday in knowing we may have converted another Marriott guest :) We have 56 Kimpton Hotels across the nation, so hopefully your travels will end up our way again soon.

Your review was great and said it all, so I have nothing to add except for a HUGE THANK YOU!
Glendale, California
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We booked the Hotel Solamar over two months in advance. I specifically told them we wanted a room with a nice view and would be celebrating our anniversary. When we arrived, the valet guys were awesome, probably the nicest, sweetest, and friendliest guys in SD. We told them that we were just checking in and would NOT pay $40 to park there. When we went to check in, I mentioned to the front desk agent that we wanted some kind of view since it was a special occasion. She said she would try then gave us a room with a city view. We went up to our room on the fifth floor and i was totally disappointed, our view was of the roof, a brick wall, and a/c. I mentioned it when we checked out, but the tall girl could care less. On a good note, the hotel was centrally located to everything in the Gaslamp, we walked everywhere and parked up the street two blocks for $15 overnight parking, great deal. The room was nice and comfortable, but has no drawers to put stuff away, maybe thats how "boutique" hotels are, but i usually stay at Marriotts and they always have drawers. Will return to gaslamp since the restaurants are awesome, but will stay at the Omni or Marriott. Would not recommened this hotel unless you want to stay up all night with people coming in at 3:00 am drunk and screaming thru the halls. The coffee and wine that the hotel offers is nice.

Room Tip: Good location, parking is cheaper one or two blocks away and you never need your car to get around.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laura5rain
Thanks for the review and for your stay with us! I'm glad you got to experience the great job our Valet team does, as they are a fun yet professional crew, and are vital to presenting our guests with a nice sense of arrival. We are looking at adding more storage space(dressers) for clothes in 2013. We do have a nice sized closet with an upper shelf and two lower shelves for stroage, although we understand longer length of stays may require some extra space.

Weekends in the Gaslamp can get occasionally energetic and lively, and from time to time every hotel has issue with some overly noisy guests that return from a night of fun. We work hard at controlling our property to keep all our guest respectful of each other (particularly in the wee hours of the morning), yet it appears a few got passed us during your stay.

Thanks again for your stay and your review.