Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Ranked #38 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

The staff at this quaint hotel are the best! I have stayed here many times and am always impressed with this resort. This is a classy boutique hotel with a great free beer and wine happy hour. The hotel is always very clean, extremely comfortable beds and linens. This is a true first class hotel, where the staff are very attentive. The on site roof top bar is fun and the on site restaurant
J Six serves great cuisine. On this trip I stayed in room 821, which had a lovely view of the pool and city.
The only suggestion I would make is that a hot tub was added to the pool or at least a fiberglass hot tub be set by the pool. Overall, one is always in for a great experience at this Kimpton property.

Ken

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_Solamar, Director of Rooms at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Hi Kencabo,

Thanks for the great review! We think you’re the best! We’re glad you enjoy our complimentary beer and wine hour each night and our first class customer service. We hope to see you back soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,093)

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Great boutique hotel just a couple of blocks away from the Gaslamp Quarter. I have stayed here 4 times now and one of the things I like best is they are VERY pet-friendly. No extra charge for furry friends and many other guests also bring their dogs.

They provide a doggie bed and snacks and water bowl too. Having said all that it is also quite a nice hotel - rooms nicely decorated in a hip / trendy style, if somewhat cozy.

Parking was $35 but there is public (metered) parking on the street and at an adjacent public lot.
So many great places just a short drive or walk away (walk: Petco ballpark, Gaslamp Quarter; short drive: Coronado Island, Balboa Park).

I frequently visit here from Las Vegas and will stay again.

There's a happy hour from 5-6p each night in the main lounge with a free drink, and also a rooftop / poolside lounge as well. . . plus they offer free wifi and you can borrow a bike for free to ride around town if you wish.

Great restaurant too!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello Joe4Stage,

Thanks for the great review! Furry pets are family too, why leave them out of a fun time!? You touched on so many of our great amenities we offer to our guests including our location, rooftop lounge, and free rental bikes! We hope see you next time you swing over from Vegas!

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I´ve been several times to this hotel and I just love it. For me is the best hotel in San Diego when it comes to price and location. Just one block away from 5th Ave and you can walk to the best places to hang out at night.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Hello Leticious,

Thank you! We love this review! We're very happy you think this is the best hotel in San Diego (we do too!). We hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

When we arrived the clerk couldn't find our reservation but fortunately the hotel wasn't full. Our room was on the 6th floor overlooking the road & an enormous building site opposite. However, it wasn't too noisy too early. We asked for a late checkout but were only granted an extra hour (which was helpful but not long enough) even though I believe the hotel wasn't full. The room was small but fine, clean etc. We had breakfast which was only available in the outside pool area and therefore a bit cold so wrap up in warm clothes in "winter".

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_Solamar, Director of Sales at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your great review. We are happy to say that our newly redesigned restaurant is now open, so no need to breakfasts on the rooftop lounge any longer. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in San Diego and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Priced like a nice hotel, some nice decorations like a nice hotel, but ultimately falls short. My biggest gripes were with the room - the room designer should find another vocation. The room looked nice but failed in function. Should be function first and then look nice. The bathroom was dark, which I think was so you wouldn't see how much water splashed from the shallow sink. There was no way to wash hands, brush teeth or shave without getting everything around wet. The room had no dresser or drawers. And my room was a spacious corner room, but that didn't seem to concern the designer because the extra space was just left oddly blank.

The gym was tiny with 1 treadmill and 1 elliptical which I always found full. The restaurant and bar were under construction. The hotel apologized for the mess and noise but made no effort to do anything else - rates weren't discounted and the traditional Kimpton free happy hour was extended or anything.

Parking was $41 overnight - fairly norm for downtown. Kindly, the valet did point me to a $15 place down the street. For the same prices, there are much better places to stay in downtown San Diego.

Room Tip: A good room would be one at another hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank svtex
GM_Solamar, Director of Rooms at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Hi Svtex,

Thanks for the review. Sorry we fell short of your expectations. We’re working hard to have the restaurant opened very soon. Our gym was designed with the beautiful weather and so many outside activities to do in mind. We also have 2 bike’s available to rent for free. We hope you give Kimpton another chance and to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

This was a business trip with a couple personal days tacked on so we didn't really choose the hotel. The staff was very nice and accommodating. Room was comfortable, morning coffee was great, happy hour was enjoyable. When there was a slight miscommunication, the staff solved the issue without hesitation. We used the complimentary bikes and really was able to cover so much of the city. A definite highlight of the trip. The only reason I didn't give it a higher rating was the restaurant was under construction which was mildly inconvenient and the hotel had no vending machines. If I didn't want to pay triple the cost for a water or soda from the minibar, I had to walk over to the 7-11 or Cvs, not desirable at 11pm. We would stay again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Rana5,

Thanks for the great review. You touched on a lot of the great amenities and services we have available here at the hotel. We are very close to re-launching our brand new, stunning restaurant so please come back and see us so we can get 5 out of 5 star rating from you!

Reviewed 5 February 2014

We were excited to stay at this hotel based on a friend's recommendation. It's in a great location -- near the Gaslamp district and within walking distance of the Convention Center. The décor is modern and trendy. We enjoyed the hotel's daily happy hour at 5 pm.

We were surprised at the noise level from Room 619, there is no soundproofing, at all -- you can hear guests from adjacent rooms as if they were actually in your room. The noise from the hallway carries, as well as the noise from the 4th floor lounge/pool area!

We had an early check-out on February 5. After checking with the staff the evening before, I was assured that it would not be a problem. The morning of our departure, the attendant on duty said he was unable to provide my receipts because he was running a process, but that he would e-mail them to me. Because this was work-related travel, I was explicit with what I needed him to e-mail me. I received an e-mail 1-1/2 hours later, it was missing one of two receipts I requested. I called the hotel upon landing in Baltimore and asked the attendant to e-mail the room receipt. Nothing. I called again at 7:24 p.m. and Martha (I believe) finally e-mailed the receipt.

We parked a vehicle on site. The valets were always helpful. The $41 per day valet fee is steep considering some of the other hotels allow self-parking for $30.

If we visit San Diego again, we'll look at other hotels before re-booking at this one.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank erp757
GM_Solamar, Director of Rooms at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Hello Erp757,

Thanks for the review. We’re happy you enjoyed our location and happy hour with local beer and wine. Sorry about the receipt mishap- bad timing on our part. We find that our parking prices match those in the area with secured, in-and-out privileges. Hopefully you will give us another shot to impress you. Thanks again.