“Stylish, downtown convenience and comfort”

Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Ranked #41 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles, California
“Stylish, downtown convenience and comfort”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is a great hotel to stay at if you're looking to hang out in the downtown area and just stroll around a few blocks. All the major restaurants and clubs are within walking distance so that you don't have to drive anywhere. The hotel is beautiful, stylish and the staff are attentive. The rooms are really nice and beds are comfy. We drove to little Italy for dinner one night but that's because we wanted to go there, other than that we basically just hung out in the area. There's a club across the road that can be loud, but you can close your windows and the noise is no longer an issue. You can open windows as well which is always a huge plus for me to get some air rather than air con. I liked seeing a variety of guests here as it wasn't just the 'look at me' crowd. We'll recommend this hotel for sure and be back for another getaway. Valet is expensive in my view (in excess of $40!) so there's a carpark across the road or another one a block away.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_Solamar, Director of Rooms at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Hello SalOZ,

We appreciate the great review and glad you enjoyed your stay. We’re stones-throw away from so much to do and see. We hope to see you back soon!

Justin
Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I live two blocks from this hotel but was given a room there during a recent conference. I had been curious about this hotel so was glad to take the room as I hear Kimptons are very chic' and cool. I had heard correctly because this smaller, botique-ish hotel has a very cool vibe.

Best part of the hotel is the happy hour (free!) from 5 to 6pm in the lobby. A very nice and thoughtful touch. They also have waters, coffee, and other items out throughout the day so they know how to take care of guests.

The room itself and bathroom were nice but not "wow." You could get a small army of people drunk on all of the booze tempting you right out in the open. The sizes of the bottles were quite large for a hotel mini bar! There's also a stocked fridge and lots of snacks. Bed seemed like it would be comfortable but I just went home and slept so I can't give a good review on that.

They do allow dogs at this hotel and I saw an adorable English Bulldog named Nixon during my stay. Unfortunately, a yappy little dog who loved to bark was in the room next door so that is a drawback. Glad I didn't use the bed as it would have been quite annoying.

The pool deck area is cool and has a nice outdoor bar and cool views of downtown San Diego. I didn't eat directly at J-Six but had a catered meal there and some other catered lunches by the pool and in J-Six. Overall, catered options were unimpressive but I'm sure J-Six is better.

Overall, a cool, hip hotel in DT San Diego. I'd probably choose the Omni over this property but this hotel does deliver on cool and hip and the free happy hour is hard to resist.

Tip - Sign up for their hotel rewards program and you get free internet.

Room Tip: Sign up for their hotel rewards program and you get free internet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hello everyshadeofblue,

We’re so glad you enjoyed our boutique-ness and our awesome everyday free happy hour! Next time you’ll actually have to stay and sleep in our comfy beds! See you next time.
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This is a beautiful and luxurious hotel. Perfectly located in the Gaslamp District with access to a ton of bars and restaurants. The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Definitely will stay there again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_Solamar, Director of Rooms at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Hello SonnyleeG,

Thanks for the great review. Our location is perfect! Over 100 bars and restaurants in a 1 mile radius. Come back and see us again soon!
San Diego, California
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I decided to stay downtown when Chelsea Handler was in town. We decided Hotel Solamar was the place to stay and absolutely loved it! Everyone was very nice, the wine happy hour in the lobby was perfect before the show and coffee in the morning in the lobby was very much appreciated. Our room was really nice with a great view of Petco Park and dowtown. We would definitely stay again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_Solamar, Director of Rooms at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Hello SShoe247,

I heard Chelsea was hilarious! Wish I would have gotten to see her! We’re so happy you enjoyed your stay. Come see us again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Hotel Solamar is well-located in San Diego's Gaslight district. Easy walking to great shopping and restaurants. I was on a business trip, so I didn't have many opportunities for fun, but there were a dozen restaurants within a few blocks of the hotel I wished I could try.
The Hotel has everything you look for in a Kimpton--fresh decor, clean and well maintained, helpful and friendly staff, a decent restaurant, and of course the wine hour and free coffee in the morning. Solamar has all these things. We had an excellent stay, and if I'm in San Diego again I will definitely consider another booking.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hello Barb1976,

Thanks for the great review. We’re really happy you enjoyed our location and hotel overall! I hope you can come join us next time for some fun!

Temecula, California
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel a couple weeks ago and loved it. Very chic decor and amazing service throughout. The hotel is very dog friendly...we brought them as well. The dogs were given beds and bowls and there were also other amenities offered. There was even a happy hour with complimentary drinks from 5-6 for hotel guests which we definitely took advantage of. Dahlia was very sweet and helpful at the front desk and the bartender, Nate was amazing! The drinks at the bar were like none that I've ever had...all fresh ingredients with a flare. We didn't eat at the restaurant but their menu items are organic and local. Can't wait to stay there again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_Solamar, Director of Rooms at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thanks for the great review and thanks for mentioning Dalia and Nate. We can’t wait for you, your husband and your dogs to come back!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My wife and I had an incredible stay in Hotel Solamar. The front desk staff were courteous and helpful, valet was kind and efficient and the cleaning crew were respectful of privacy, yet kept our room spotless. The room itself was very modern and comfortable at the same time. The pool was outstanding. It's a nice terrace area with a great view of the city and plenty of drinks to choose from at the bar. We felt like we could literally walk anywhere with the nice whether. And if we decided to "enjoy" ourselves a little too much, a cab ride back to the hotel was next to nothing. Location was awesome. Overall it was great, and we'll definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello jbishop7,

We’re happy you and your wife had such a great stay! Glad you enjoyed our pool and lounge during San Diego’s mini-heat wave. Come back and see us again soon!