“Great Location”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Calgary, Canada
“Great Location”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I like to stay in Kimpton Hotels when I travel to the U.S. So far, I haven't been disappointed by this chain. The Solamar is in a great location in the southern (?) end of Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego. There are lots of restaurants within easy walking distance, it's close to Petco Park if you're a baseball fan, they have a lovely pool/outdoor lounge area, it's close to downtown, the Embarcadero, the Convention Center, and Horton Plaza Mall. The other Kimpton in San Diego, the Palomar, is in a sketchier part of the downtown (more pan handling and homeless people). The staff at the Solamar are good and its restaurant, JSix, has fantastic food. The only negative comment I have is that they need to go through their towels and discard the ones that are thin and worn.

Room Tip: You can request a pet-free room if you aren't travelling with a pet.
2 Thank DoubtingNag
GM_Solamar, Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hello DoubtingNag,

We’re glad your Kimpton travels have not disappointed yet! Our location is hard to beat with Petco and The Gaslamp Quarter stone’s throw away. Come back and see us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
Washington DC
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Had a fantastic stay here again. So sad to leave. Hotel is excellently located - this time to petco park for a padres game. Had a pool view - for those of you who sleep early (thank you jet lag), the pool quiets down around 1am in weekends but I never had any problems falling asleep before that.

Rooms looked good for their age. Love the theme and laid back feel of this hotel. The rooms will be fantastic when they are renovated. They need to do something about the sinks - and I was told that they will!!!

The amenities are good as always with wine hour (free) including craft beers now too. So cool. Loved the ample coffee during the morning and flavored water during the day. The restaurant has been renovated and looks fantastic. Also the food is fantastic. The in room dining remained the same with the awesome tagliatelle pasta and burger. I highly recommend the restaurant though- and I don't say this often with hotel restaurants. Loved the cocktail menu and everything we tried (which was about half the menu) was delish.

Service all in all was good. I saw a lot of new faces, but they all did a great job so no problems there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Amanda C
Hi Amanda C,

We’re so happy we’re your fave SoCal hotel! Glad you enjoyed our new, fresh restaurant! We’ll see you next time you’re down this way!
Spearfish, South Dakota, USA
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Well-appointed, classy hotel right in the heart of the Gaslamp District. First-class rooms and service with a great fourth-floor rooftop bar and pool. This fine hotel is walking distance to lots of restaurants and bars and a short cab ride to many attractions. A bit on the pricey side but worth the extra money.

Room Tip: the higher the better
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_Solamar, Director of Rooms at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hello spearfishpete,

Thanks for the great survey. We’re very happy you enjoyed our location and your stay. Please come back and see us again soon!
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I recently spent a three (3) night stay at Hotel Solamar in the gas lamp district of San Diego. From the beginning and throughout the entire time I stayed there, I found everyone to be professional, courteous and most of all helpful.

One individual in particular, Jake, was always helpful to everyone he interacted with. He had a wonderful attitude with all the guests and was especially helpful helping me get settled into my room at the hotel.

With so many people complaining these days about what is wrong in the world, I figured it was necessary to commend Jake for an outstanding job and making the hotel guests, including me, feel welcome.

I look forward to my next stay at this wonderful establishment.

Sincerely yours,

John Lambert
Palm Springs, CA

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
GM_Solamar, Director of Rooms at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Agreed John! Thank you so much for your review and positive words about Jake. We can't wait to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Excellent 5 night's at the Solomar. Very friendly staff throughout. Breakfasts are really good and the breakfast bar is very clean. The location is great for the gaslamp area, but not within the noise. Only slight gripe, is the price of the car parking, as it i think it is valet only. However, don't let this put you off.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for the 5-Star review, mikecarnegie. We’re glad you enjoyed our friendly staff, breakfast and location. We hope you and your family come back and see us soon!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is a great hotel to stay at if you're looking to hang out in the downtown area and just stroll around a few blocks. All the major restaurants and clubs are within walking distance so that you don't have to drive anywhere. The hotel is beautiful, stylish and the staff are attentive. The rooms are really nice and beds are comfy. We drove to little Italy for dinner one night but that's because we wanted to go there, other than that we basically just hung out in the area. There's a club across the road that can be loud, but you can close your windows and the noise is no longer an issue. You can open windows as well which is always a huge plus for me to get some air rather than air con. I liked seeing a variety of guests here as it wasn't just the 'look at me' crowd. We'll recommend this hotel for sure and be back for another getaway. Valet is expensive in my view (in excess of $40!) so there's a carpark across the road or another one a block away.

Hello SalOZ,

We appreciate the great review and glad you enjoyed your stay. We’re stones-throw away from so much to do and see. We hope to see you back soon!

San Diego, California
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I live two blocks from this hotel but was given a room there during a recent conference. I had been curious about this hotel so was glad to take the room as I hear Kimptons are very chic' and cool. I had heard correctly because this smaller, botique-ish hotel has a very cool vibe.

Best part of the hotel is the happy hour (free!) from 5 to 6pm in the lobby. A very nice and thoughtful touch. They also have waters, coffee, and other items out throughout the day so they know how to take care of guests.

The room itself and bathroom were nice but not "wow." You could get a small army of people drunk on all of the booze tempting you right out in the open. The sizes of the bottles were quite large for a hotel mini bar! There's also a stocked fridge and lots of snacks. Bed seemed like it would be comfortable but I just went home and slept so I can't give a good review on that.

They do allow dogs at this hotel and I saw an adorable English Bulldog named Nixon during my stay. Unfortunately, a yappy little dog who loved to bark was in the room next door so that is a drawback. Glad I didn't use the bed as it would have been quite annoying.

The pool deck area is cool and has a nice outdoor bar and cool views of downtown San Diego. I didn't eat directly at J-Six but had a catered meal there and some other catered lunches by the pool and in J-Six. Overall, catered options were unimpressive but I'm sure J-Six is better.

Overall, a cool, hip hotel in DT San Diego. I'd probably choose the Omni over this property but this hotel does deliver on cool and hip and the free happy hour is hard to resist.

Tip - Sign up for their hotel rewards program and you get free internet.

Room Tip: Sign up for their hotel rewards program and you get free internet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hello everyshadeofblue,

We’re so glad you enjoyed our boutique-ness and our awesome everyday free happy hour! Next time you’ll actually have to stay and sleep in our comfy beds! See you next time.