“Bargain”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Marina del Rey, California
“Bargain”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Considering the location and the prices and run-down dumps in the area, I thought this place was a great deal. Sleek, modern, centralized. Guestroom was very spacious had a great view of Petco park which is two blocks away. We paid about $175-180 per night for Friday through Sunday. If you think that is high, you probably don't travel to many other of the largest metro areas by population (NY, LA, Chi, Philly, Mia, Boston, etc.). If you enjoy the gas lamp district and being within a few minutes walk of the ballpark as well as countless shops, bars and restaurants, this is a great spot. Can't think of anything really negative thing to say about the hotel. Had a very nice fresh salad in the restaurant, however nothing else on the menu really appealed to me at the time. Other than that, I'll be staying here on my next trip.

Green Features: Thoughtful, but did this have something to do with the reduced water pressure?
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wd62627
GM_Solamar, Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hello wd62627,

What a bargain for a weekend! Glad you enjoyed our location and sleekness. We’ll see you next time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
North Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights last week. Very new, nice rooms and baths, quite modern, rooftop pool and lounge. Wine and cheese in the lobby complimentry, nice restaurant for breakfast. Quite affordable and located in the Gas Lamp district.

Green Features: I only know the restaurant off the mail lobby was totally organic.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KenSanFrancisco
Hello KenSanFrancisco,

Thanks for the review. Come back and see us next time you’re down from San Fran!
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I spent a full week at Hotel Solomar for a work convention and there aren't words for how awesome this hotel is, but I'll give it a try anyway.
Upon trying to book, there wasn't availability for the entire week through the conference website, so I called the hotel and the immediately added more rooms and I was able to book at the conference rate.
Upon arriving, check in was seamless and the front desk representative described all of the amenities available at the hotel, including complimentary bikes to use at your convenience, complimentary coffee and tea every morning, water infused with fresh fruit and citrus all day, complimentary wine in the "living room" every evening from 5-6, fitness room and rooftop lounge with patio open until 9pm. Instantly impressed, I arrived at my room and was pleased. Large room with a king sized bed, duvet and incredible pillows, flat screen TV and a snack and cocktail bar that left me drooling (additional cost). Room was clean and spacious with a desk, lounge chair and bench by the front door. While unpacking, I realized that in the closet there was a yoga mat, umbrella and robes, lots of hangers for clothing and a safe for valuables. Looking out the window, I realized where I would be spending most of my time - gorgeous pool and rooftop patio. Previous reviews I had read said that it could be really loud and keep you up at night but I did not experience this - although you could hear the music, it was very faint and did not keep me up, even over the Memorial Day long weekend when the place was packed.
The breakfast at JSix was amazing, as was lunch and dinner - I never went anywhere else for breakfast because I was
so happy with the organic/sustainable options on the menu at such a reasonable price. I signed up to become and Kimton InTouch member for free and was able to have $10 toward the mini-bar and free Wifi throughout my stay - wifi signal was strong no matter where I was in the hotel.
The hotel is in the best neighbourhood in San Diego - the Gaslamp Quarter - so many cool shops and restaurant and super close to the trolley station. It truly is an urban paradise and when I return to San Diego, I won't stay anywhere else!!! LOVED IT!!

• Stayed May 2014
GM_Solamar, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Hello JJoresar,

This review is absolutely amazing! Thank you so much. You touched on every one of our great amenity perks in our hotel! Come back to our urban paradise soon!

Justin Gentry
Assistant General Manager
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed 4 nights and had a great time. The hotel is lovely and close to everything
we were able to walk to do alot of our sightseeing. The hotel is very clean and the staff is very nice.
we loved the daily happy hour, we got to meet alot of the other guests. The view from our room was fantastic!

Room Tip: Rooms looking over the city are great
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Hello karenka62,

Thanks for the 5 Star review! Glad you enjoyed our location and our awesome happy hour. Come back and see us soon!
Kirkcaldy
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have now stayed in three Kimpton hotels in the USA and I don't think we would stay anywhere else now. This was our second after the Allegro in Chicago in 2009. Check in was very easy and all my requests had been arranged, a quiet king spa room 914 and my arrive in USA snack of lays and vanilla coke. A Keurig coffee maker was delivered quickly to the room. The AC worked well to bring room temp to 60f as it was heatwave time in SD. I love the walk in shower and the Jacuzzi tub. The bed was very comfortable and we slept well for all 5 nights.
We had a drink at the pool bar one afternoon and a few evenings. We enjoyed staying right in the heart of everything as we have previously stayed out at Hotel Circle.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello marionspence,

Thanks for sharing your pics! We’re glad you enjoyed your third stay at a Kimpton and hope to see you again soon.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Am a Kimpton Hotels champion and stayed for the first time in one of my hometown Kimpton hotels as I live in San Diego. The Solamar did not disappoint, lives up to what I expect from Kimpton Hotels with the benefit of being right in the East Village (very close to Petco Park for ball games) and the gaslamp district of SD. You can enjoy the hotel (the 4th floor pool area is the scene) and wander outside and have many, many choices of pubs, bars, restaurants, wine shops and just plain good walking around.

The hotel is very nice, new, modern and clean. Our room was excellent and as with all Kimpton's the bed is awesome. They have pet free floors if you don't want to be on a room with dogs (as Kimpton's are dog friendly) and I don't really want to be on dog floor. The 9th room we had was great and the view awesome. Hotel bar is fun, the bartenders cool and some good local SD craft beers on draft.

If you want to stay downtown SD but near many of the most fun places and in a cool, clean hotel, check it out.

Room Tip: they do have non-pet floors if you want to avoid the doggies
Green Features: they have recycling cans in all rooms and good places to hang towels if you want that
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sdbolts
Hello sdbolts,

Glad you enjoyed your stay-cation! We hope we are you’re new go to hotel and restaurant. See you next time!
Ufa, Russia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Spent some days in this hotel in November 2008. Stayed in an spacious double-bedded room with all the modern, nice, and homelike conveniences one's heart could have wished. I was impressed by the fact how clean, pleasant, and well-kept a hotel of that size could be. That snow-white bed linen -- cleaner and softer than you'd ever dream of!.. The staff was amazing as well -- attentive, but unintrusive. The location speaks for itselft, of course -- just 'round the corner' from the heart of the Gaslamp District, San Diego's historical downtown area, but generally away from the ballyhoo that is typical of the city's night life. A propos, there was but one tiny thing the hotel could have done without -- my room happened to be on the very floor where a corporate party was taking place... As a result, it was a little too noisy in the evening. But even that is a thing which is quite common at many other hotels arund the globe.

To summarize, if I happened to visit San Diego once more, I'd definitely stay at the Solamar... Six years past, and I'm still nostalgic...

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Iskander_S
Hello Iskander_S,

Thanks for the great review! Don’t wait another 6 years to come back and see us!