Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Marriott Hotels
US$123
US$109
  • Breakfast included
Blue Sea Beach Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$243
US$236
  • Pool
Hilton San Diego Bayfront(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$367
US$325
Hilton.com
US$849
US$619
The Sofia Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$685
US$665
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$256
US$226
  • Restaurant
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$474
US$276
US$220
US$320
US$204
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
2,167 results
All reviewswine hourpetco parkgaslamp districtjsix restaurantwine receptionconvention centerrooftop poolcomplimentary winemini barfree happy hourfourth floorthe gas lamp districtevery eveningrestaurants and barsovernight parkingvalet parkingper night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My husband regularly takes customers & their wives to San Diego Padre games & this is out " go-to" hotel. They are efficient & welcoming. Our guests always enjoy the complimentary evening wine reception. We love the corner rooms with spa tubs that overlook Bubs, The Blind Burro, & Petco park. It can get a bit noisy at "closing time" but dies down quickly. The beds are comfy, the mini bar is WELL stocked, & I love the fluffy cheetah print robes. The location is within easy wailing distance of many awesome restaurants & good shopping. Well done Kimpton!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_Solamar, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Hi Mommarhonda,

Root, root, root for the home team! Thanks for the great review. Still 3 months of baseball season left. We’ll see you back soon!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Went with my lady and stayed April 18-20. Paid $157/night

What I liked:

Valet service
Friendly staff
Comfortable bed
Excellent water pressure (one neglects this until its missing usually)
Hot water even during morning rush
Incredible location next to Petco Park in the gaslamp quarter of downtown.
Free beer 5-6pm in lobby.

Things I didn't like:

This was a hotel that allowed pets to stay there. I don't know about you, but I sure don't want to sleep in a bed that somebody's dogs have rolled all over in. That may be my fault for not seeing that advertised but I never thought to.

The cleaning staff did a half-assed job.
There was dust everywhere, I found cat claws in the sheets, and there was only one roll of toilet paper in the bathroom.

How the heck are you not going to show the Padres game on the television!? I could have had better channel selection from rabbit ears.

The "rooftop bar" was on the 4th floor of an 11 floor building (uh... Okay?) and it was so expensive! The drinks there were 3x as much as the countless bars and pubs in the gaslamp quarter.

I get it that you want to be cool and stuff, but at least let me use the refrigerator. It was filled with booze (which is rad) but I would prefer to use the refrigerator. My father is diabetic and needs his insulin refrigerated. There is no room for that. And what if my lady was lactating? The bottles would spoil! Show owner comment »

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello ABushong,

Looks like we weren’t up to par during your stay and I apologize for that. All Kimpton Hotels are pet-friendly but all have pet free floors upon request. We do deep clean our rooms and replace all linens in the room anytime a pet departs a room. Also, our refrigerators are not weighted so anything can be removed and replaced with no charge to fit medicine or other items that need refrigeration. We also have extra fridges available upon request. I am glad the staff was friendly and our location was incredible. I hope you’ll give us another try in the future.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Hotel Solamar made an impression on me already before my arrival by asking me to send a picture of my loved one(s) or a place that would wait me in my room when I arrive. It was a very nice idea. I was able to receive my room already at 10.30 am when I arrived, which I had not expected. Service was very friendly and room big and clean. I was on the 8th floor windows facing the pool, but the little noise from outside did not disturb me at all. I slept very well. There were some special things in the closet like funny bath robe and yoga mat. I missed slippers, but it was not a very big deal to me. The location of the hotel is very convenient especially, if you need to be close to the Convention Center. It is in downtown and it was very easy to walk everywhere. The tram line is just around the corner, if you wish to go further e.g. to the Old Town. You can have free wifi by joining the bonus programme, which is free. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Hi Liisa738,

Thanks for the great review! We’re happy our staff was so friendly and the room was nice and clean. Glad you enjoyed our funky robes and yoga mats too! Come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed at the Solamar while in San Diego for the Rock n Roll Half Marathon last weekend. It is a very dog friendly property (yay!) and the staff there is very helpful and friendly. Like most Kimpton properties, it is decorated beautifully, and very clean and tidy (even with dogs everywhere). If there had been an animal in the room we were given prior to use being there, I never would have known. I was very impressed.

If you are bringing a pup, you don't have to call ahead, but if you do, they'll add the pup's name to the welcome board in the front of the hotel.

The pool area is great and very active during the day, but it's a great place to relax and enjoy a drink. J Six lounge is downstairs. The Solamar is located just down the street from Petco Park and just about everything in the Gaslamp district is within walking distance. Free wi-fi if you belong to their loyalty program (nice). The rooms are a decent enough size. It's a great property and I highly recommend the Solamar.

Oh - parking is like $41/day, so take that into consideration. I feel like people always forget that hotels aren't very up front about this charge and then they get hit with it in the end.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Stacy M,

Thanks for the woof-derful review! We’re really happy you enjoyed your stay. Come back and see us soon!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

So far in 2014 we had vacation stays at Kimpton's Firesky Resort in Phoenix, and their Surfcomber in Miami. We just returned from a three night stay at the Solamar in San Diego. And we have plans to stay at a Kimpton in October when running the Portland marathon.

For us what sets the Kimpton hotels apart from other choices: the staff.

Valet/Check In: Fast and easy. Quite a few cars had pulled in at the same time for check in, there isn't a lot of room in the driveway. Our taxi couldn't pull in so we got out in the street and took our luggage to the front desk. Easy and no problems.

Check In: We had indicated an early arrival of 1pm in our reservation and were pleased that our room was ready for us.

Room: Really nice corner room, large jacuzzi, view of Petco. Location on the 7th floor. We love pets but I am highly allergic and we were placed on a pet free floor. As requested a Keurig coffee maker was placed in our room.

Amenities: Coffee and tea are available in the lobby each morning, there is also a wine tasting between 5-6pm. Fruit infused water available during the day. We were so busy on this trip we never made it to the wine tasting. There was also a free yoga class on Sunday at the pool which was a great added touch. Be sure to ask about classes.

Concierge emails guests before arrival asking if you need any help with your stay, etc. This time they also mentioned sending a photo of your loved ones. We did and loved that they had framed a picture of our cats that we had emailed and had it in our room. We had mentioned that the stay was for the San Diego Rock n Roll marathon and we thank Marissa, Sam and Bernice for the wonderful note and basket of running related refreshments that were placed in our room for my husband. This hotel also offered complimentary pre-race food (oatmeal, bananas, water) in the lobby starting at 4am which was appreciated by all participating in the marathon.

We had drinks by the pool which were really enjoyed on Friday night. We also ate at the restaurant which will be a separate review. We ate at the Blind Burro for lunch, Chianti in Gaslamp and our favorite Mission which is also close by for brunch.

We will definitely stay at this hotel again in the future. I highly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SeattleD_7

Hello SeattleD_7,

I think you’re an official Kimptonite now! Thanks so much for your great review. Good luck in the Portland Marathon!