“Never again”

Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Ranked #38 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

The people who work here they are not friendly the lobby is to dark tv.services is terrible no Spanish chanel it's a very old in the bathroom they only put cheap soap no space for you clothes you have to leave you clothes in you logged

• Stayed: August 2014
GM_Solamar, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Hello Herminia M,

I've reached out to you via personal message to discuss your review in more depth. I look forward to hearing from you.

Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,093)

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I just spent a week at Hotel Solamar and left disappointed. The TV reception in my room didn't work the entire week, so if you want a functioning TV in your room don't stay here. I complained and the staff didn't seem to care or to be concerned. All they said was "Yea we're having problems with that." In general the hotel staff wasn't very helpful or pleasant. I also didn't like the hotel restaurant and bar. It closed very early and staff were rude. I'm sure there are much better options in downtown San Diego.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Hello davidbruce,

Thank you for your feedback and my apologies for what was clearly a frustrating experience at our property. The TV issues have thankfully been fixed but I apologize for the trouble you had during your stay. The service you experienced is not indicative of our typical performance. It’s our goal to be the best loved hotel in San Diego, but we’ll never get there unless we learn from the times we fail in that goal. I thank you again for your review and we hope that we're gifted another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed here in February for a convention. Conveniently located to Convention Center, Petco and the Gas Lamp district. Room was very comfortable for a 6 night stay. Staff was friendly and helpful. Had a few small meals in the restaurant/bar. The fried dark meat chicken and spicy lamb meatballs are to die for. Of course it rained while I was there so the in room umbrella came in handy!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Hello Thomas L,

Thanks for the 5 star review! Location, location, location- can’t be ours with all that a stone’s throw away! You couldn’t be more correct about the meatballs and fried chicken; 2 of my favorites too! I hope business brings you back our way again soon!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Centrally located in the gas light district, this hotel offers walking distances to most of the southern part of down town San Diego. Rooftop lounge is nice, but the pool is quite small. Nice hotel for couples and weekend guests, not so much for families with kids.

Room Tip: Higher floors are further away from the music and guests visiting the lounge at night.
1  Thank enur1979

Hello

Thanks for the review. Glad you enjoyed our location and happy hour! Come back and see us again!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed here in July for a romantic vacation. Room was extremely small and seemed as if it was furnished from Ikea. Housekeeping was the worst I have ever seen in a hotel. Garbage was never emptied, bathroom sink never wiped down nor toilets cleaned, room not vacuumed. Paid for view room and overlooked a construction hole that had a crane operating outside our window on the 7 th floor. Pool was great but was filled with outside guests by their own admission. You do not need a room key to enter the pool area. "Happy Hour" again was a nice touch but the same people who were not guests at the hotel were there for the free drinks. They said they came almost every afternoon and the employees knew they were not guests but did not care. Parking was $45.00. Park a block down for $15

Room Tip: Do not bother with view upgrade. We did and overlooked a giant construction hole and mega constructi...
1  Thank UtahPatter
Jmgentry222, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Hello,

I've reached out to via private message. Please contact me. Thank you.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed at the Solamar for our wedding and had a wonderful time! Unfortunately, at the end of our stay, we lost something very special to us! The hotel has been doing a wonderful job trying to find it, but we need your help! If you were at the Solamar on Saturday, July 19th, please help up find this bunny!!! He was last seen Saturday morning in Room 602! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQLsau1Psog

Hello LadyHawk26,

We’re glad you enjoyed your stay. We’re desperately looking for your very special bunny and having our laundry company keep an eye out for it too. We’ll contact you if we come up with anything.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel in early July and was happy with the choice. I go around the different baseball stadiums and Petco Park was an extremely short walking distance from the hotel so this worked perfectly. Also, the hotel is around the corner from the Gaslamp District which has all the bars and restaurants you could ask for. Since the weather is so beautiful in San Diego, walking around is a great thing. My room and the hotel was extremely clean and the bellhops were there almost all the time to open the doors for me when I entered which I thought was an excellent touch. I ventured to the outdoor bar on the 6th floor which was cute. Since it was night and a little chilly, they had fire pits and some flames by the seating areas. Also, I ordered a draft beer and it tasted funky so when I asked the bartender if I could exchange for a bottle beer, he did so with no problem. The pool looked nice but not overly big but I didn't go in. The ride to the airport wasn't too expensive (under $20) which is big considering how some cities' airports are way out of the tourist areas. I did not have a car, but the parking rate to park here was pretty expensive. So if you're driving around and have a car, be advised that the price can be costly.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Hello kitchenspark,

Solid review here! Thank you. We’re glad you enjoyed our location, service and cleanliness. Come back and see us again soon.