“Great Stay Overall”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Great Stay Overall”
Reviewed 27 December 2009

My partner and I stayed one night at Hotel Solamar with our 44 pound dog. Arrival was smooth. Front desk was busy, but everyone was handled very efficiently while staff maintained high levels of attention and courtesy. An email about my partner's birthday and dog needing a bed and bowl were not received, but front desk agent and bellman both made sure the dog supplies were sent up immediately. I had put in a preference for foam pillows, but room had feather. However, website does make it clear that preferences are not guaranteed. The room was on the smaller side of average, but ample for our stay. Decor was modern and funky. Bathroom as well. Instead of sample size shampoos and soaps, hotel puts dispensers in the shower. While you aren't able to take them as mementos, they are high-quality Gilchrist and Soames. The room was clean. Our dog came with and was greeted warmly by both staff and other guests at complimentary wine hour. Pizza and warm nuts were also provided. A previous reviewer complained about all the dogs at the hotel, but note this is a Kimpton which has a very liberal chain-wide pet policy. And there are two parks within walking distance for dogs (PETCO is closed after dark, though). After wine hour, front desk was very helpful with map and directions. Note that valet parking is $35, but with full in-and-out priveleges. We look forward to our next stay here.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jayster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
los angeles
Reviewed 23 December 2009

went to san diego with my two nieces (5 and 10years old) and my mom--stayed at hotel solamar after a long day at Seaworld. Rooms were modern, clean and very comfortable. Non-smoking enviornment with two very inviting queen beds that were perfect for the four of us. didn't notice much noise (but it was a Monday night...). Had a very restful sleep in preparation of our visit to the san diego zoo the next day (which was less than10minutes drive away). I had named my own price on priceline.com and got a really good deal ($65 but including tax it was $81). The only complaint I have is the VERY expensive parking fee of $35 per night for valet parking. It was really late and cold when we arrived so I didn't feel safe walking to the parking garage two blocks down for cheaper parking (maybe it would have been different if I was a guy).

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank ctandsn
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 December 2009

I enjoyed my stay here at Hotel Solamar. It is a stylish, well-appointed hotel, with a personal boutique feel. There is a nice lounge where they provide free coffee/tea service in the morning, and wine receptions in the early evening. There is also a hip small bar and pool area on the 4th floor deck (although not active currently in the winter).

The rooms are somewhat small but decorated nicely, with clean, stylish bathrooms and a very comfortable bed with their trademark super-silky Frette linens. My location was quiet initially, but during the summer it might have been noisy since it faced the pool area. Also there were some noisy partiers we could hear thru the wall another night, but they seemed to quiet down after we alerted the front desk.

The location can't be beat; slightly off the main drag in the Gaslamp Quarter, at the edge of the East Village. As a result it is less hectic, but still only a block to the main action. A CVS is a block away which is convenient.

There is a nice restaurant in the hotel also; my spouse wanted a late-night coffee and despite running a busy dinner service, the hostess went and got a complementary coffee for him! That is service.

Parking, as expected for this area, is expensive valet only (around $36/night) but there are also some parking lots/garages nearby. There are large, convention size hotels all over downtown SD, but this one has style and character and feels more personal, without sacrificing any conveniences. The hotel rate we got was very reasonable too, probably because it is the off-season. A great place to stay in downtown SD.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank jeanki
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 17 December 2009

Located toward the south end of the Gaslamp Quarter at 6th and J, the Hotel Solamar is well-situated for roaming the downtown streets of San Diego. Parking is steep at $35 per night. The lobby and public areas have a rather dark, sequestered feeling. The room was very comfortable and well maintained. Windows can be opened for fresh air. The problems I had with the room were minimal lighting in the bathroom, the lack of a coffeemaker. and the fact that I could get virtually nothing into the room safe for storage.
By joining the Kimpton frequent guest program, I received an invitation to upgrade my room upon availabililty. When I checked in, the upgraded room was available, but the desk clerk refused to give it to me. I know I would have enjoyed a jacuzzi tub in my room, since the rooftop pool deck doesn't have one. The rooftop bar was pleasant, with personable waitstaff.
Since people are mentioning dogs here, there were many dogs. I was not bothered by this whatsoever, nor did I ever hear any barking or any noise from my neighbors whatsoever.
For all the hype this hotel receives, overall I felt that the Hotel Solamar did not live up to its reputation.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 17 December 2009

While visiting family for the Thanksgiving holiday I picked up a great price for this hotel and saw that other TripAdvisor reviewers rated it well so I gave it a try. I was not disappointed!

Located in the heart of downtown San Diego, the Solomar was an amazing deal. The people at the front desk were very friendly, gave me $20 in vouchers for the mini bar, and even asked me where in the hotel I would like my room to be. They pull out all the stops for service here.

For $99 the room was very luxurious. It included a large flat screen TV, a fully stocked "Honor Bar", and an extremely comfortable bed. The bathroom had glass tiles and a large jacuzzi tub shower. These boutique hotel rooms would normally run several hundred dollars, which made it a great deal.

It is also within walking distance of all the restaurants, shops, and Horton Plaza mall. I didn't have to park but the only option at the hotel is an expensive $35 per day valet. There are cheaper parking garages only 2 blocks away.

The hotel has wine tastings every evening in the lobby, a lounge by the pool, a restaurant, and is very dog friendly. It looks like the employees even brought their pets in and had them behind the counter.

With the great location and price, wonderful service, and comfortable rooms, this hotel is an option anyone visiting San Diego should look at. I've never stayed at a Kimpton hotel before but if they are all like this one I will try and find their brand when traveling.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
Smyrna, Georgia
Reviewed 13 December 2009

I go to San Diego aprox every 3 months.
Every time I go I stay at the Solamar and I wouldn't have it any other way.
The hotel is always clean and beautifully maintained.
The rooms are spacious and nice.
Staff is always courteous and friendly.
The location is great!
My Yorkie gets to stay for free and is welcomed every single time.
The restaurant lunches are excellent!
Top notch really.

Thanks Kimpton and Hotel Solamar!

Tip: The valet parking there can be pretty expensive. To save money on parking I pull in drop my bags with the bellhop then drive to the public parking lot just 2 blocks away. Its like $35 a day to park at Solamar and $13 a day to park 2 blocks away so if you are staying for a few days, its worth it to walk a couple of blocks and save some money (at least for me anyways).

Then when I leave I have the bellhop come get and hold my luggage downstairs and then walk 2 blocks to pick up my car. I proceed to drive 2 blocks and pick up my luggage tipping the bellhop a few bucks and I'm on my way..
I usually stay for 5/6 days when I go though :)

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank xseekerx
Atlanta, GA.
Reviewed 11 December 2009

I've stayed at several Kimpton hotels and they are generally several notches above the big name brand hotels in both facility quality and staff service, this Solamar is no exception.

My overall experience this trip was outstanding! The room was perfect and service was spot on. My room was very well decorated (a Kimpton Trademark) and very large with a super comfortable double wide lounging chair that I really enjoyed relaxing in (I did get a free upgrade to a spa room with a huge spa tub, didn't use the tub but the room was fantastic).

As I was traveling on business having fast internet is very useful and the service here was excellent, it was available in my room as wired or WiFi and it never bogged down like happens in many lower tier hotels. The desk set-up was also good with enough room and comfort to spread out and get my work done quickly.

They have a free happy hour in the lounge from 5-7 and offered wine, sparkling wine, and spiced hot cider each night. A nice little bonus. Also available in the mornings in the lobby was above average coffee.

Excellent location, easy walk to many many restaurants and retail shops. Lots of the local restaurants have live music to enjoy during or after dinner.

Although the hotel does allow dogs if you desire to have them with you, I saw no evidence of it during my stay. Someone complained in another review that the place was filled with people with their dogs but I think they must have visited during a special dog event or something because there were none around this week. In fact I've stayed an several pet friendly Kimpton hotels and have only rarely seen a guest with their pet. The rooms are super clean and I have pet allergies but don't have any troubles staying at these hotels.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business