“Bakery or Restaurant-both are great”

Champagne Bakery Cafe & Bistro
Ranked #13 of 79 Bakeries in San Diego
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Cafe, French
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Green Valley, Arizona
“Bakery or Restaurant-both are great”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

In our last 2 visits to San Diego we have made multiple visits to the Champagne Bakery. The salmon quiche and quiche Lorraine are wonderful. We ate at all areas of the restaurant-open outdoor seating by the parking lot, open indoor seating by the bakery counter and the sit-down/waiter area inside and outside. Our favorite location was the outdoor patio with waiter service. For lunch we enjoyed a ham and cheese panini and roast beef on a whole wheat baguette with herb cream cheese. The bakery is fabulous. Our favorites included the huge chocolate chip meringue cookies and lemon cookies. We first came here while staying in Del Mar, but it was well worth the short drive when we were staying in the Mission Bay area.

• Visited July 2013

San Diego
“gone downhill”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I used to love to stop for pastry, but my breakfast today was very disappointing. Was at the RB location on Carmel Mtn Rd. The potatoes were swimming in oil, which soaked into my croissant sandwich. I wish I had more leisure, I would have complained to the cook. Staff were friendly and competent.

• Visited July 2013
San Diego, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,410 helpful votes
“Really great bakery and sandwiches... but service is slow....”
Reviewed 15 June 2013

This place has a great bakery that has really nice sweets and treats. They also have some great sandwiches! I really love the French Dip sandwich here and the Chicken Pesto sandwich is also great. They have a more formal dining area with a different menu. I haven't eaten in the formal dining room but we've been here several times for sandwiches and baked goods and it's really great.

We usually just get take out but last night my wife and I ate here and it's nice at dusk here. They have outdoor tables and they have heat lamps in case you get chilly. The only thing I have to comment is lately it seems like it takes forever for the food to come out. It shouldn't take so long to bring out sandwiches but we were waiting about 20 minutes last night for our food which is too long for a casual meal.

I think they must have had problems in the kitchen as there weren't that many people there in either the more casual cafe side as well as the more formal area. So they need to work on the food delivery times.

But the desserts are right there in the window and ready to pick up. They are very good. My favorite is the strawberry tart dishes which are really delicious!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank saintba
“Poor quality and slow service”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

So we've been here twice now for lunch and both times this place has failed to impress. The food is ok, some options better than others. However, the service is really, really slow, and I didn't think the place was particularly busy either time. Often we've had to ask for drinks twice. Today when I went they couldn't even get my order right - I asked for fries on the side and got green salad leaves with dressing instead - I guess that was an attempt at a salad - however, in my book green leaves on their own do not make a salad. Last time we were there we only had large notes of cash, so we waited for our change, and waited, and waited ... eventually we had to go and ask (always awkward) - I think the girl had just pocketed the money as her tip - however, please note - we don't leave 30% tips for poor quality service!!!

• Visited May 2013
San Diego, California
“Great pastry, ugh for dinner”
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Wonderful pastry place a definite go to. We have had dinner their a few times in the first half of 2012 and it was dreadful. Hard to understand how they can loose control of the quality. We even got a free meal as an apology. Don't believe me try it for yourself.

Visited May 2012