“Wonderful Italian food! Excellent service!”

Parma Cucina Italiana
Ranked #2 of 4,773 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$11 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Parma Cucina Italiana is located in the hearth of Hillcrest, few minutes by car from downtown San Diego. It offers down to earth ambience and fantastic authentic Italian cuisine. From the Italian wines and the best Italian products to the native Italian, "right off the boat" proprietors, Parma-Cucina Italian is as authentic as it gets.
“Wonderful Italian food! Excellent service!”
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We did not have a reservation, but were efficiëntst seated in a full restaurant, we got good bread with a nice butter with honey in it. The appetizer, prosciuto di Parma was very tender, the main course simmered beef in a sweet tomato sauce was very good, the penne Reigate with tomato sauce for my wife excellent. The wines by the glass were excellent company and not expensive by US standards. Being European by origin, we felt being "back home" for an evening, bringing back good memories to the Italian cuisine! A nice place we will certainly come back to! Molto grazie!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank frank v

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
California
“Idyllic Italian”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

You will think you are in Italy! The food at Parma is perfect. My favorite is the home-made ravioli stuffed with a mixture of spinach and magic. A small and intimate restaurant with charming waiters, all Italian speakers but oh so willing to explain each menu item clearly in beautifully accented English. The owners truly care about creating the perfect experience. The bread with the soft honey-butter could keep me happy and well fed, but I always warn myself to save room for the main course. Oh, my, and the desserts! Decadent, delightful, delicious. Excellent wine selection, too. Last week I ate at Parma twice--one night with 3 delightful men and the other night with a dear woman friend. Everyone was charmed by Parma--its food, its ambiance, its wine, its people. If you like Italian food and are in San Diego, you would be oh so foolish if you don't come to Parma for a meal. Do not miss this opportunity!

2 Thank Judi58
Roma, Italia
“having dinner at PARMA its like you are in ITALY!”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I am italian and when I travel I usually dont go to eat italian food.....but this year I had to change my habits...since I have know Parma restaurant and I totally fallen in love with it. First, the area where it is located is very nice (Hillcrest), to walk around, many restaurants, nice streets, all so well manteined. Parma is not so big but very well organized. The staff is almoust all real italians, as the owners and the chef. The food is REAL italian....the taste, the flavour, the consistence.....its not easy to feel you are really eating italian so far far away! Appetizer....well, the burrata is delicious! so tasty, so creamy and so soft! really good. the prosciutto di parma is another great choice. I also liked a lot the polenta and the soup of the day... of course I didnt tried all in once!! been there few times during my long holidays in Xmas time. On the primi piatti I would recommed the Lasagna...amazing! soooo good!!! and also Pennette with salsiccia! I really loved! so the tortellini with panna and prosciutto. I love pasta and i really enjoyed all those plate! For the second plate, I have loved the meat balls. the tomato sauce its really delicious. I havent tried so many second plates because usually i have always the dessert so....more space for it!! i have tried most all of them and have to think a minute before to say which one I can suggest more......maybe i should suggest to try all...but if you really have to choose....well go for Profitteroles alla nutella, Torta Manuela and the amazing - sooo creamy Tiramisu!!!! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I am a chocoholich....but those dessert make me revalue also mascarpone and ricotta!!!!!the staff is very nice, kind and the italians ones also give suggestion and clearification if you ask for advices! so my experience(ssss) were great and I highly recommend PARMA restaurant if you are looking for a good and real italian dinner in San Diego. no surprises....just real good and tasty food!

• Visited December 2013
New Berlin, Wisconsin
“Taste of Italy”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Excellent little Italian restaurant in the Hillcrest neighborhood. Small yet cozy family business with a small menu with that covers a wide variety. Menu based on the Parma region of Italy so don't come looking for lots of seafood choices. On our visit members ate off the normal menu braised beef and pork shoulder made with excellent sauces. I had the menu listed prosciutto tortellini with Alfredo that was excellent. The soup of the day was an excellent tomato basil with tortellini. The deserts were on par with the main entrees. The wine choices very good and reasonably priced. Definitely make it a stop.

San Diego, California
“Like being back in Italy”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My mother had been to Parma a few weeks ago and said that she couldn't wait to take my girlfriend and I. We all went down one Saturday evening for a meal which she had hyped quite a bit. Well, it definitely delivered. The four of us shared a prosciutto appetizer as well as a caprese appetizer. We then each had our own pasta dish. I had the arrabiata, my girlfriend had the lasagna, my mother had a mushroom pasta and my aunt had some kind of ravioli. We also shared two bottles of wine. The appetizers were amazing and the prosciutto was melt in your mouth tender with just a touch of chewiness you'd expect. The caprese was delicious, super fresh and with a very good olive oil. Of the pastas, I couldn't decide if I liked my girlfriend's lasagna or my aunt's ravioli more because they were both amazing. My mother's pasta was also delicious. Mine was good, but didn't hold up to the others. The quality was what I've had in Italy, which is more than I can say for any other restaurant I've been to in the United States. Let me say that a bit more plainly; this is the best Italian food I've had outside of Italy. That may be a big statement, but it's true.
The wine was very good and relatively inexpensive (I think the two bottles we had were both under $25 each). We also got the tiramisu and a chocolate tort cake for dessert. I think there is room for improvement on both of those items, but they were still tasty. Four people, two appetizers, four pastas, two bottles of wine and two desserts, oh, and the bread that came as well, and I think we were at about $150 before tip. I consider that pretty good, especcially for the quality you get.
We will most definitely be back, and as often as our wallets will allow.