“nearly perfect”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Omaha
“nearly perfect”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Honestly I had a great stay at this hotel. Like many other reviewers here, I stayed at this property while attending a convention. I found the staff to be friendly, courteous, and helpful. The property itself seems to be well kept, modern, and clean. Our room was spacious, the beds were comfortable, and we had a nice view of the cityscape on the 12th floor. I also enjoyed spending some time on the rooftop socializing with other conference goers. The room rate seemed very reasonable relative to the hotel location and overall amenities offered.

My only "gripe" really would be the $10/night fee for in room wifi. Of course something like this is only a minor inconvenience for me and would most likely never be a deal breaker. Based on the price I simply opted to go without given the amount of time I would actually be able to use it.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the city facing room on a high floor (12th), however others may prefer a bay view room
1 Thank Noah M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I stayed here for 7 nights while attending a conference at the convention centre.

The are quite a few good points to this hotel. Location is excellent, right at the end of the gaslamp area and opposite the ballpark and the convention centre, the hotel bar on the top floor is amazing, a view of the ball park included. The downstairs bar has great staff and a good selection of food. The rooms are nice, big, clean, TV is updated, although at far too low an angle.

Unfortunately a few issues drove me crazy while staying here.

First off, 9.30am room cleaning? Really? I was woken up on my first morning (after my 14 hour tip) by housekeeping coming in to clean the room. I learned to keep my do not disturb tag outside my room at night. Unfortunately, their seemed to be a window of opportunity, as one morning where I left at 10.30am and returned at 2pm, I found the room wasn't made up at all. Oh well.

The proximity of my room to the elevators was also an issue, I can deal with the odd loud guest coming in and out, but I could hear the beeping of the elevator every time it stopped, and in the mornings, this happened a lot.

To compound this, there seemed to be some plumbing issue in the rooms too and the drains would start making a loud gurgling noise randomly, when not in use.

I didn't really get a good nights sleep there and I probably should have asked to be moved, but busy at a conference and constantly tired, I didn't have the energy, frankly, the staff should identify and block these rooms.

I liked the hotel for so many reasons, but I would probably pick another nearby hotel were I to return to San Diego.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't take a room anywhere near the elevators. The rooftop bar is fantastic, the t...
2 Thank Simon K
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear Simon,

Thank you for your review. I apologize that you were disturbed while you were trying to sleep after your long flight. During the week, our room attendants begin their day at 8am in an effort to have our occupied rooms cleaned before our guests return from their day, and to provide the front desk clean rooms for our arriving guests. Our room attendants do not have a set timetable to clean individual rooms; however, while in our hotel, a guest can contact our at your service department to schedule a convenient time to have their room cleaned.

In addition, I have shared your review with our engineering department so the gurgling noise you reported can be addressed.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

All my best,
Francisco Urvina
Director of Services
Raleigh
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I was here for a conference and the location and quality/ value of the hotel is perfect. The staff are pleasant and attentive too.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed here for one night because we were in San Diego for a concert. Check-in went smoothly, we were upgraded to a suite which was nice. The room was spacious and clean. Bathroom was a good size and had standard amenities. The only thing that annoyed me a little is how thin the walls are. There was a group of kids staying on our floor and they were running around and being very loud in the morning. Other than that, no complaints. The location of the hotel is great, right in the middle of downtown, by Petco park. I would stay here again if I visited downtown San Diego.

phila
Reviewed 24 April 2012

from the valet to the wait staff, everyone went above and beyond! had a great trip which also included marriott in san fran and ventura beach. all were fantastic!

Holton,IN
Reviewed 22 April 2012

The room was clean and the convenience to MLB Ballpark (Petco Park) is unmatched
in any hotel in the US. Only two issues during the stay. 1. Called ahead (1 week) to request
a partial stadium view room. The "we should be able to accomadate that no problem" turned
into we don't have one. I guess they shouldn't have housekeeping cleaning one out across the
hall as they are telling me tough luck. 2. The internet at this hotel is a nightmare. If you have
free internet in your room package then just make the damn stuff wireless with a password
or add $10 on the top of the room cost and make it available that way.
The Very Good rating is for the cleanliness, location, airline computer terminal in the lobby to print your boarding passes, the "Thanks for Staying" on the way out, and the outstanding valet staff.
Those guys were fantastic day and night.
All the one way streets in downtown SD were a pain in the rear.

Room Tip: No better location for a trip to Petco Park.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear warhorse82,

Thank you for your review and comments. I'm sorry that we were unable to fulfill your request for a stadium view room. We do our very best to meet all of our guest requests, however the demand for these rooms are huge, especially during the baseball season .

I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back, and if we can ever be of service please let us know.

Warmest regards,

Jeffrey Burg
Director of Operations
Glencoe, Illinois
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I had a paid reservation @ the Marriott Gaslamp. I came in with a printed copy of the reservation, the credit card & photo ID. My husband had made the reservation using hotel points so it had his name, but we changed it to MRS. so it would also be my legal name. However, my driver's license had same last name but my 1st name. They wouldn't accept my reservation or let me check in!!!! My husband had to call in & vouch for me by phone--Of course, it could have been any man on the phone. I was the 1 showing them legal ID with the correct name on it in person. But until they heard a man's voice on the phone--They wouldn't let me check in!!!

Room Tip: There are water view rooms & stadium view rooms for PETCO stadium if you're into baseball.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank EileenSirkin
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear Mrs. Sirkin,

Once again please accept our apologies for your arrival experience. I have discussed your arrival my front office team so something like this does not occur again. We take security very seriously and we require that name(s) on a reservation fully match the ID that is presented at check in. This was the reason for your delay. Never-the-less, we still made a mistake; I hope you will forgive us.

All my best,