“Hospitality”

San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #76 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 June 2013

This hotel is in a great location, its within walking distance to the convention center, ball park, MLK promenade, city transportation, bus tours pick up locations, mall, and a large variety of restaurants (check out the Strip Club...it's a steak house.) The rooms are luxurious, the beds are cozy, and my room view was fun (I had a ballpark view and enjoyed watching and hearing the crowd during two night games.) I enjoyed cocktails at the Altitude Sky Lounge as well as breakfast and desserts at the Concierge Lounge. Aside from the great location the best part of this hotel is the staff, they're hospitality was wonderful!! We were welcomed by the friendly front desk staff who had our room ready at 11am, housekeeping gladly guided us to our room, concierge recommended a day trip, and the concierge lounge staff were my go to people. The morning staff, John and Virginia, welcomed me with a smile and warm greeting each morning for breakfast then provided me with snacks and tips for my daily adventure; when I returned the next day for breakfast they were eager to hear about my adventure from the previous day. The evening staff, Kat, feed my sweet tooth and made me feel as if I was comfortably at home enjoying a night of "Wheel of Fortune".
An appreciative "thank you" to the staff for your hospitality, my brief stay at your hotel was for respite relief, it was wonderful to be pampered by your staff.

Room Tip: Enjoy the sights and sounds overlooking the ballpark.
2  Thank Shirley R
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Shirley R,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay, loved our staff and appreciated the views and cocktails in Altitude. We all take a lot of pride in assuring that all of our guests have the best possible experience in every aspect of our hotel. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.

Regards,

Sean Mattix
Director of Food & Beverage

Reviewed 17 June 2013

A must stop for any trip to San Diego. Location is at the top of the Marriott right next to Petco Park. Great place to grab a cold one B4 a Padre game. Great view of the ballpark and the employee's are always friendly. Drinks are a little pricy but the view makes up for it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

PadreChris,
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know that you enjoyed your visit to Altitude. It is always nice to read that people appreciate our friendly staff and the amazing view.

Regards,
Sean Mattix
Director of Food & Beverage

Reviewed 16 June 2013

I got this hotel as it was within walking distance of the convention center. It's a fun area to be in, but also near the Ballpark and fireworks constantly going off if the Padres score when it's in town. The staff was great, very helpful with maps for places I wanted to get to in the area. My room wasn't ready when I got there early and I gave them my phone number to call me when it was ready while I went to the convention center and walked around the Gaslamp. They called within 30 minutes to let me know. They have your room key also as security keys in the elevator for going above the 7th floor, and while it's nice to have, it also takes a few times to work. They also have in the evenings an elevator blocked off for party bar, which leaves 3 left for the rest of the hotel. I would come here again.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

If the attitude of the staff matched the location and cleanliness, they would have had 5 across the board. After being in the marathon I wanted the option to check in early but I was reminded rudely that the room was actually guaranteed at 4pm. Meanwhile others that just arrived in the city were given a room. Would have appreciated a rush on the room due to circumstances.

• Stayed: June 2013
Hotel S, Front Office Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Dear KKholiday,

Thank you for staying at the San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter after running the Rock’n Roll Marathon. I’m very sorry to read you were not greeted in a friendly manner by our front desk. It is our goal to take the very best care of our guests and I’m very sorry we failed to do so upon your arrival. Thank your providing your feedback and giving me the opportunity to speak with the Front Desk team and improve our services. Please accept my sincerest apology and please let me know if there is anything I may assist you with here in the future.

Best regards,

Aimée Bond
Front Office Manager
San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter

Reviewed 12 June 2013

This was my second time staying at the Marriott Gaslamp. The first stay was over 3 years ago and set the bar very high. I was prepared to be disappointed as it is difficult for a hotel to maintain the standards that I was exposed to on my first stay, but I was not disappointed in the least.

There are a number of things this hotel does to make it stand apart even from the nicer Marriott properties. The staff is super friendly in a non-intrusive way. The small touches like a big bowl of candy at check in and a brand new bath sponge in each room are not common at many hotels at all. The condition of both the public spaces and guest rooms is outstanding. It is clear that great care is taken to maintain the condition of the rooms. The concierge lounge is large, has excellent views of the ballpark and Coronado bridge, and is well stocked. The hummus and pita was particuarly good. My only minor complaint there is that the adult drinks are not always out, rather, you need to order one from the concierge attendant. I prefer to mix and make my own drink. I've never run across abuse of the honor system at a Marriott property.

And of course, the is the location. This is on the border of the east village and gaslamp district, adjacent to Petco park. The dining and entertainment options within a 4 block radius are almost endless. And one does not even need to leave the hotel, the Altitude lounge is one of the nicest places for a drink, around - hotel or non-hotel location.

So for a few minor issues. First, I have stayed with gold elite status both times and did not receive a room upgrade either time. Granted, my high floor preference was always honored and I had a nice view of the ballpark, but there are many rooms with balconies and an upgrade would have been appreciated. The basic room is somewhat on the small-side, but very well appointed. Second, the parking cost is insanely high at $38/night, we are talking about San Diego, not New York, Chicago or LA. To the credit of the parking attendant, he pointed out that the structure across the street is available for $17/night. I happily parked there and found it to be no inconvenience at all. There is just no reason to spend $38/night to park in San Diego.

Overall, this will remain my hotel of choice when visiting San Diego.

1  Thank FightOn
Reviewed 12 June 2013

The building is located a couple of blocks from the gas lamp quarter; which equals to a lot of excellent restaurants/convention center/marina etc at a walking distance. The hotel in itself was a totally different experience: an old bank "transformed into hotel" with great service, excellent value for your money. Our room was neat, clean, well provisioned with the essentials. The decor was modern, and we had a great view of dowtown and the bay.

Room Tip: The higher floors have a great view: do not miss it.
1  Thank Alejandro K
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This is my fourth time staying at this property and it does not disappoint. I was very late upon arriving (12:30 am) and the front desk was really kind to upgrade me to a suite at no extra charge. It's possible that my regular room as already taken, but I really didn't care! This location is prime to walk to Petco, the convention center and several terrific restaurants, but is still very quiet, away from the bar scene. The rooms are very clean and well laid out. Super comfortable beds and the staff was very helpful with any of my requests.

If you have the time, check out the rooftop bar, its wondefrul but it can get chilly, so bring a light jacket or wrap

Room Tip: HIgh floor will give you a view into Petco or towards Coronado depending on the side of the building
1  Thank JKRan
Hotel S, Front Office Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Dear JRinOC,

Thank you for staying with us. I am so glad we were able to upgrade you. We love being able to upgrade our guests at no cost when we have the availability to do so. As you mentioned, we do have a great rooftop bar, Altitude, on the 22nd floor, offering spectacular views of all of San Diego.

We are very thankful for your kind words and look forward to seeing you soon!

Warmest regards,