“Terrible Mattress!”

San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #82 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Overall a good place. However, the main reason to stay in a hotel is to get a good nights sleep.
That was absolutely impossible as the mattress was so soft I could not get comfortable. When I checked in and went to my room and discovered the problem I asked the front desk if all the mattresses were the same in every room and they said yes. They did send house keeping up and put a piece of plywood between the mattress and the box spring but this did nothing.
If you sleep on your back it's probably OK. But, I sleep on my side or stomach. I tossed and turned all night and in the morning was tired and my back hurt.
To be fair, everything else in the hotel was top notch. Which is why I rated it 4 stars.
But, if you require a firm mattress stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,406)

Reviewed 13 March 2014

The Marriott Gaslamp Quarter is our first choice whenever we travel to San Diego for the weekend, and we have stayed here several times.

Location: Fantastic, couldn't be better. Steps away from the ballpark, and about 1 block from restaurants and all the action of the festive Gaslamp district.

Valet parking: Efficient & friendly. Upon departure my car was outside waiting for me!

Lobby: Clean, bright and lovely.

Checkin: Always quick, friendly and efficient!

Rooms: Clean, spacious, modern decor in pleasing and soothing colors. COMFORTABLE bed and pillows!

Without getting into petty details, we were there for a family event and I was going to spend time with my sisters (they had traveled far for this event). While hubby went to sleep early, my sisters & I went to have special chat time and some snacks and cocktails up at the Altitude Bar. Long story short, we were not pleased with the service and upon discussing it with management, Marriott made sure we were taken care of and happy when we checked out the next morning. (Thank you to Carissa, the night manager for being so kind & such a good listener!)

Yay Marriott, this is why we keep coming back and we will continue to make this hotel our first choice when visiting San Diego.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This hotel is across the street from all the Gaslamp activities and shops. The valet service was fast and a little more than we thought it should have been, but they earned every penny. The service from the Bellmen was FIRST class. We asked where we can take our kids and one of the gentlemen proceeded to tell us about La Jolla and the area to see dolphins and sea lions as well as where to park and eat. he spent about 15 minutes talking to me about it in detail, printed a map and then made sure I had a good experience when I returned to the hotel.

The rooms were spacious and very modern. The cleaning service was top notch and the city view was phenomenal. The front desk staff was very helpful and quick and we will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Hubby and I got away to this hotel just overnight to celebrate our anniversary. We decided to do a stay-cation this time. Chose this hotel because we had a good time on the rooftop lounge many times before and thought it would be cool to have access to it as a hotel guest. Hotel service was great, although the lady who checked us in was so humorless and dry to a fault! couldn't get her to laugh or smile at all. anyway, rooms were nice and the view of Petco Park was spectacular from the 19th floor. We walked around the gaslamp district to get several meals so it was very convenient. We didn't have to wait on the long line downstairs to go to Altitude on the rooftop and we didn't have to drink & drive home afterward, we just plopped down into our room. Good time.

Room Tip: South facing, high floor to see Petco Park from your room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dexter619
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Our stay here was the usual excellent experience we have become accustomed to at Marriott. The staff was polite and helpful at check in/out. As others have said, the location is excellent. Convenient to walking downtown. The rooms are nice size and are clean and updated. This hotel would be great if you were coming into town to catch a baseball game as it is right across the street.

Just an FYI, parking is tough in the area and valet parking is $40 a night.

I would definitely recommend staying here and would definitely stay again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Love the location, the rooms, the staff, the cleanliness etc. I am a very frequent resident of this hotel over the years and almost know all the rooms. I am also a Platinum member of Marriott chain, and due to business this hotel had in the past been my 2nd home.
Recently though there was just one time fault. On Feb.20th I used mobile check in but was assigned a double - and I asked for a king, high floor, which had always been the preference stated in my account. It wasn't available so the staff told me she would call my cell when the room is ready. That was around 2pm, I waited for 3 hours and no call. It was almost 5pm when I went back to the front desk and apparently the room had been ready for a while. It was a different staff then because the previous staff had left the shift. That was a little dent in the expectation of excellency for the Marriott Gaslamp for me.

Room Tip: Corner room facing both Petco Park and the Coronado Bridge - beautiful !
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Hotel S, Front Office Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear viajero_salsero,

Thank you for being a repeat guest at the Gaslamp Marriott. I apologize for the challenges during check in during your last stay with us and appreciate your feedback giving us the opportunity to improve upon our services. I have personally followed up with the front desk team to help prevent mistakes like that from happening again in the future. Thank you again for staying with us and please let me know if there is anything I may assist with in the future.

Best regards,

Aimée Bond
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 10 March 2014

My stay was amazing here in San Diego. This hotel was part of that great experience. The staff was so hospitable that I thought I was back in the south!! Everyone was very helpful. The room was very clean and comfortable. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it for anyone looking for such a place.

• Stayed: March 2014