“Clean comfortable place”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Honolulu
“Clean comfortable place”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I found this hotel to be a clean, comfortable place right near the Petco field and within blocks of the San Diego convention center. Really right in the Gaslamp district steps from all the eateries. Great location and affordable hotel. They have a great club on the 22nd floor for happy hour and the hotel's restaurant is also very good for eating in or in room dining.

Room Tip: Top floors have a water view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hotel S, Front Office Supervisor at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Cadiotron,

Thank You for choosing to stay with us, I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and we are lucky to have such a nice location in which almost everything is walking distance and that way our guest can enjoy the great weather. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of having you as a guest in our hotel soon.

Adriana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vestavia Hills, Alabama
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel is centrally located to everything in the Gaslamp District. The rooms are clean, beds are comfortable and the staff is adequate. If you plan to catch a Padres game, this is by far the best hotel. You walk labout a 100 yards to the gates entrance. Many reviews mentioned parking rates. It is an issue. I was told by valet that the public parking in front of the hotel was at least $25/day. The valet at the hotel is $40/day. I don't like being misinformed. The rate for parking across the street was a max of $15/day. I bought this issue to the front desk and they adjusted my rate. Also, they informed me that the valet service is operated by the same company who manages the parking across the street. Save you money Do Not Use Valet Parking

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank hammerangel
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I wanted a getaway weekend, decided to stay at the Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, rooms are a little small, bathrooms could use a little more counter space, but the location and service are excellent and outweigh the lack of space. The hotel is beautiful, great architecture. Had breakfast in hotel Saturday morning, great service and good food. We are planning a return trip!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
san diego, california
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Overall a good place. However, the main reason to stay in a hotel is to get a good nights sleep.
That was absolutely impossible as the mattress was so soft I could not get comfortable. When I checked in and went to my room and discovered the problem I asked the front desk if all the mattresses were the same in every room and they said yes. They did send house keeping up and put a piece of plywood between the mattress and the box spring but this did nothing.
If you sleep on your back it's probably OK. But, I sleep on my side or stomach. I tossed and turned all night and in the morning was tired and my back hurt.
To be fair, everything else in the hotel was top notch. Which is why I rated it 4 stars.
But, if you require a firm mattress stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 13 March 2014

The Marriott Gaslamp Quarter is our first choice whenever we travel to San Diego for the weekend, and we have stayed here several times.

Location: Fantastic, couldn't be better. Steps away from the ballpark, and about 1 block from restaurants and all the action of the festive Gaslamp district.

Valet parking: Efficient & friendly. Upon departure my car was outside waiting for me!

Lobby: Clean, bright and lovely.

Checkin: Always quick, friendly and efficient!

Rooms: Clean, spacious, modern decor in pleasing and soothing colors. COMFORTABLE bed and pillows!

Without getting into petty details, we were there for a family event and I was going to spend time with my sisters (they had traveled far for this event). While hubby went to sleep early, my sisters & I went to have special chat time and some snacks and cocktails up at the Altitude Bar. Long story short, we were not pleased with the service and upon discussing it with management, Marriott made sure we were taken care of and happy when we checked out the next morning. (Thank you to Carissa, the night manager for being so kind & such a good listener!)

Yay Marriott, this is why we keep coming back and we will continue to make this hotel our first choice when visiting San Diego.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This hotel is across the street from all the Gaslamp activities and shops. The valet service was fast and a little more than we thought it should have been, but they earned every penny. The service from the Bellmen was FIRST class. We asked where we can take our kids and one of the gentlemen proceeded to tell us about La Jolla and the area to see dolphins and sea lions as well as where to park and eat. he spent about 15 minutes talking to me about it in detail, printed a map and then made sure I had a good experience when I returned to the hotel.

The rooms were spacious and very modern. The cleaning service was top notch and the city view was phenomenal. The front desk staff was very helpful and quick and we will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Hubby and I got away to this hotel just overnight to celebrate our anniversary. We decided to do a stay-cation this time. Chose this hotel because we had a good time on the rooftop lounge many times before and thought it would be cool to have access to it as a hotel guest. Hotel service was great, although the lady who checked us in was so humorless and dry to a fault! couldn't get her to laugh or smile at all. anyway, rooms were nice and the view of Petco Park was spectacular from the 19th floor. We walked around the gaslamp district to get several meals so it was very convenient. We didn't have to wait on the long line downstairs to go to Altitude on the rooftop and we didn't have to drink & drive home afterward, we just plopped down into our room. Good time.

Room Tip: South facing, high floor to see Petco Park from your room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple