“Well located, Very Comfortable.”

Ranked #80 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed here in November, 2013 for several days while attending a conference. Located in the Gaslamp District, this hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the convention centre, yet also perfectly located to explore the Gaslamp District, and all of it's excellent restaurants, bars and shops. If you happen to be a ball fans, it's also only steps away from the home of the Padres.

The rooms were very spacious, clean and comfortable, well appointed. My unit had a small kitcheonette, king bed and flat screen tv, as well as a huge washroom. The staff were very helpful, and always pleasant. The complimentary breakfast was filling, and presented a good variety, with everything from eggs, bacon, sausage, to fruit, yogurt and dry cereal.

If you are attending a conference, or in town on vacation and looking to explore, this is a great hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Azorion
Hotel S, Guest Service Agent at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Azorion,

Thank you so much for your great review! We are happy that you found our hotel to be so close to the activities you wanted to do. Yes, we are very nearby everything in downtown San Diego, from Petco Park to the 5th Ave Gaslamp area with all of its bars and restaurants. We are glad that you found our guest rooms to be so comfortable during your stay and that you enjoyed our delicious breakfast. We are very lucky to have the exceptional staff that we do. Thank you again for your kind comments, we look forward to having you stay with us sometime soon!

Katia

There are newer reviews for San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Checked in for 5 nights as a Elite Platinum member. Was in room #1417 a low floor in the back of the hotel. Bathroom is tinny-tiny (they need to use a sliding door as there isn't enough room for a proper door). For San Diego the room is very dark and there are NO views. The concierge lounge is about the size of the normal room and it PACKED.. no place to sit. I guess the hotel is convenient, but if you are a Platinum member stay at the Marquis as they better understand how to treat elite guests.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you are a Platinum member
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank JKenHill
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear JKenHill,

Please allow me to apologize for not meeting or exceeding your expectations. We are a choice destination for your fellow Platinum and Gold Rewards members. It is our daily intension to accommodate all of our Platinum guests in higher floor rooms, regrettably we are unable to do this all the time.

We appreciate you staying with us, and once again please accept my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may experienced.

Warmest regards,

Jeffrey Burg
Director of Operations

Reviewed 10 July 2014

The location is across the street from Petco Park. It is a 5-10 minute drive from the San Diego Airport. Valet Parking is $40.00 which is expected from a downtown hotel in any metropolitan area. The lobby is modern and up-to-date. I booked a room on the club level with club access. The rooms look like they have been renovated in the last 5 years. However, the bathtub/shower needs some work. The tub is a little small. The beds were comfortable. I would definitely come back in the future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Just got back from a 4 night stay for a dance competition at the convention center. Perfect location for us since it was an easy walk over to the convention center. However, parking here is ridiculous. $40 dollars a day? Come on. A structure across the street was $15 a day, only takes cash, but a much more affordable option. We had a reservation for 4 people in our room and everyday I had to call to ask for more towels. Kind of a pain. I do wish there was refridgerators in the rooms. One of the other dance moms called down and got one delivered but I didn't find that out until our last day when it wasn't worth the bother anymore. We had great view over looking the stadium and the Coronado Bridge. Good restaurants to walk to. If we go back to this same competition next year the price would have to be right for me to come back. There are lots of hotels within walking distance. If they have cheaper parking and free internet I would be more inclined to choose one of those.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sherry H
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Sherry H,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to read that our location was convenient for you and your family.

We are very aware that additional charges such as parking can impact a guests stay. Often, we are conducting pricing surveys to ensure that our charges are in-line or lower than other full service hotels in the downtown area. I hope that you will consider staying with us again, and perhaps you might be able to book a AAA rate. When available, all of our AAA rates include complimentary valet parking.

Once again, thank you for sharing the details of your visit.

Warmest regards,

Jeffrey Burg
Director of Operations

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Arrived last night for a 2 day stay for a dance competition. Upon arrival, we are notified of our parking options of hotel valet for a lovely $40 per night, or 25% of the room cost... Or, Park at another garage across the street for $15 per night. Ya, that's nice, gouge your customers! So, we opted for first night at $40 since we arrived late in the evening.

Next came the whole check in process. This stuff is getting out of control. BEWARE DEBIT CARD USERS!!! Since we don't conform to the debt system of the US, the "incidentals" fees increase due to debit card from $100 per day to $250 per day! Yes, so the $160/day plus parking of $40/day added to the deposit, made the charge a nice $900 for 2 days! Ya, beware. Not only does it take 3+ days to reverse the hold, which was more than the actual cost of the hotel stay, but now added to the fact it's close to the 4th of July holiday, it will take a few more days, and they make interest for as long as the $ sits in their account while I can't access my funds.

So, after that, we get into our room and find the wonderful dual "double" beds. Really! A Marriott across the street literally from an MLB stadium and has doubles not Queens? Is this a Motel 6 in disguise? Also, found out that you have to pay for Internet service hard lined or wifi, which most places at least give hard lined free, and no refrigerator in the room either. Kind of a basic room for an above basic price.

The rooms are nice, have plenty of space, but really need queen beds in a double bed layout, really! Guests tend to be noisey and that woke me up, but at least the little beds were quite comfy...service was very pleasant though. All in all, I wouldn't stay again though, not at the ridiculous prices charged for the minimal accommodations provided.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DrChop1
Hotel S, Front Office Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear DrChop1,

Thank you to you and your family for staying at the San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter. I’m sorry to read we did not properly explain the debit / credit card authorization process to you upon check in. I would be happy to reach out to your bank and assist in getting the authorization for any unused funds released from your account as soon as possible. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel so I may assist with that. I do appreciate your feedback and we do hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Aimée Bond
Front Office Manager
San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter Hotel

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed here for a convention as the convention had a room block and it was within walking distance to many ammenities. I was truly disappointment!!!

First, there is no pool and the hotel was staff gave conflicting options to those of us attending the same convention (the convention was for families thus we all had our children with us). Some families were told "sorry" while others were told they could use the pool at the Marriott across the way. Since we all had children, this was a total disappointment to them and made the staff look incompetent in their ability to know what and was not permitted.

Secondly (for the adults), the room coffee maker was in the bathroom. This was absolute disgusting!!!!! You don't put drinking vessels in the bathroom. Starbucks was quite a distance away so if you need your morning caffeine, be prepared for a walk. (There is a Starbucks in the convention center but they were not open the first 2 days of our convention and when they were open they just couldn't keep up with the orders).

Lastly, we were charged an additional $100 A DAY for incidentals AND $250 for non smoking. If you are using an ATM and not a credit card, this will be placed as a hold and will take days for it to be released.

Internet fee is $9.95/day. Marriott, get on board with the Westin and Sheraton!!! If you are a hotel rewards member, you have free room wifi. This makes everyone (including teenage children who have no pool to use) happy!

Overall, an ok hotel. I'm an avid traveler and know my different hotel chains and options. This Marriott disappointed and I would nit stay here again. I wish I had know the other Marriott was withing walking distance to the convention center. It's my own fault for not exploring my options. But this Marriott did not meet my Marriott expectations.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Lovemykids0002,

Thank you for staying at the San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Marriott. I’m very sorry to read you were not satisfied with your stay with us and I apologize for the miscommunication about the pool. We do take your comments and all guest comments and feedback very seriously. We appreciate your feedback as it gives us the opportunity to improve upon our services. Please let me know if there is anything I may assist you with in the future and we do hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Aimée Bond
Front Office Manager
San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter Hotel

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This hotel is one of the best Marriotts you can possibly stay at. The location was perfect and within walking distance to the restaurants and entertainment. Hotel is very clean and staff were friendly and attentive. The only negative things I can think about at this hotel are... (1) No pool, (2) I booked the room with the breakfast included package. The breakfast is buffet and the taste was lacking. Just your regular eggs w/ cheese (No taste unless you add Ketchup), over cooked bacon, no taste patatoes, and no taste pancakes. If you're just looking to stuff yourself and sacrifice the taste... then the buffet option is your ticket. and (3) the lounge on top of the roof. It's a great place for 21 y/o - 25 y/o kids! If you're over the age of 30 don't even bother. You will just feel like a babysitter. I will definately stay here again but I'll do w/o the buffet package and the roof top lounge next time.

Room Tip: Get a room facing Petco Park
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple