“New Year with a Bang!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“New Year with a Bang!”
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for New Years Eve and New Years Day and to enjoy the NYE festivities. I love the location of this hotel. You can walk to nearly everything in the Gaslamp Quarters, bars and restaurant. Close to convention center and next to Petco Park, great during the baseball season to watch the Padres. The room is nice, small for my standards, a little dated furnishings. Beds are comfortable. The bath was ample, but well stocked.

The service was below expectations, maybe it's because they were overwhelmed that day with all the New Years guest checking in. Overall, I rate this 3.5 star property. But if you are looking to stay where location is your main criteria, then this hotel will satisfy your needs.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Russ L,

Thank you for ringing in the new year with us. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your visit and our location. Our new year's eve party is always a very lively event. This, coupled with our proximity to the Gaslamp Quarter have our guests located in the heart of all of the new year's eve festivities.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you in the future.

All my best,

San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Canoga Park CA
Reviewed 30 August 2014

The hotel is excellent - rooms are a decent size and well furnished, staff is very helpful, etc. BUT the Gaslamp Quarter, at least in summer, is a madhouse, and when the Padres are playing at home, it is a madhouse on steroids. The hotel is right across from the stadium and traffic, both foot and car, is crazy. Also, there is a nightclub on the roof and if you are in a room on a high floor, you may hear the vibrations from the music; I think this is mostly on weekends. If you like a lot going on, this is a great place for you. There are over 100 restaurants, bars and nightclubs in the Gaslamp Quarter, an area about two blocks by eight blocks.

NOTE: I have stayed here three times, but only during the summer. It may be quite different at other times. Despite the activity, I like this hotel a lot, and I usually like things to be quiet.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from Petco Park are quieter., but don't have a view.
Green Features: There are recycling bins by the elevators and they suggest that you reuse towels and will not change bed linen unless you request it.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Had a late meeting in San Diego so thought I would take the wife down catch a Padre game and avoid the later evening drive back uo to Orange County. Booked a room at the Marriott next to Petco. Rate was high for a Tuesday at $349 for a regular room but thought what the heck.

When checking-in the place was a ghost town inside while the street was packed with baseball fans. No bar activity, no one in line to check yet it still took 15 minutes for the front desk attendant to figure out how to check me in. It was amature hour at the front desk. A manager was at the next work station training another asscoicate and could not be bortherd to assist. We muddled thought it not a big deal overall.

Went to the room which was nice but dated and slightly worn. undersize TVs and a strange smell. An OK room if I was off the interstate for the night paying $79 but not a $360+ room.
We went up to the Concieges lounge and they had the sorriest display of eats that I have ever seen. The Super 8 has a better spread than this. Ask the host for a beer and it took 15 minutes for her to find it and then find an opener. I final got a warm beer after we had eatten. It is hard to belive this is a full service Marriott, again amatur hour. We decided then to pass on breakfast up there in the morning.

We hit the roof top bar after the game to take in the veiw. It looks like they tried to expand the bar area using the old fitness center because the old gym floor is still in there. The view is great. The place was about 1/2 full but it still took a long time to get a drink. It looks like and feels like the hotel is really trying to cut cost on labor by using untrained or under skilled employees and they are not spending what is needed to be a top tier hotel.

Overall, great location, service is poor, decor is worn, the beds are good. A 5 or maybe a 6 on scale of 1 to 10, which is to bad it could be a 10 with better management.

2 Thank Scot D
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Scot D,

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback from your recent visit. I apologize that we fell short of meeting your expectations. I have shared your comments with my operations team and I can assure you that your observations are taken seriously and will be addressed. We take great pride in providing excellent service and work hard to correct any service missteps.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies.

Regards,

Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at this location before a baseball game. Pet I Park is right across the street. Many fun establishments surround this entire Gaslamp Area. They also have a wonderful rooftop bar.

Room Tip: Free wifi for Mariott rewards members.
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed at the Marriott Gaslamp for one weekend night. It is right next to Petco Park in the heart of the gaslamp. we had a room facing the city on the 21 floor. I was a little concerned as there is a jumpin bar on the 22 floor in the summer that there would be noise but we were not impacted in anyway. The rooms are nice, service was excellent. There is another review that the lounge was basic breakfast - I found it to be up to par with other Marriotts and not an issue.
The Gaslamp is VERY busy with twenty year olds out and about on weekend nights in the summer so you need to have extra time for driving ect. The valet parking is 40.00 for guests and for a city hotel I did not find that out of the ordinary.
We enjoyed our night there and would stay again!

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the bay if possible.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Would not recommend to stay at this hotel if you are an Elite member with Marriott. Club level floor not open Friday or Saturdays nights for members. They do not post this on their web-site. They inform you of this when you check-in. The breakfast is very basic in the morning for club members to use in the lounge. They do not give Elite members the option to eat breakfast in the other areas. They also will close off the rooftop floor with view and bar for private parties. Once again they will not inform you of this and you will only learn when you want to use the rooftop.
Valet parking $40.00 per day but there is a parking garage across the street that charges $1.00 per hour or max $15.00 per day. the Suites are below average and nothing to be proud of with no view or full windows to even look out of.

Room Tip: Tell them you prefer to have the ballpark view not opposite
Green Features: For a Marriott very plain nothing exciting. The roof top bar was secured by more then 4 security people that made you kind of feel there could be issues or unsafe conditions
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank brian s
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Brian S,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and sharing your experience.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations.

Warmest regards,

Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stayed at the Marriott Gaslamp Quarter for business and it was wonderful. It is ideally located to the historic Gaslamp District, the train, the convention center, shopping, restuarants and the San Diego harbor. Unfortunately I was unable to enjoy everything the hotel had to offer. The rooms were spacious and comfortable; very modern and masculine furnishings as well. I will definitely have to stay there again the next time I am in town.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business