“Yes, no or maybe so.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Fandango Restaurant - CLOSED

El Fandango Restaurant
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Colton, California
“Yes, no or maybe so.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

As my family and I sat down I started to read the reviews on Trip Advisor. I thought to myself should I leave!! I decided to take a chance and hopefully the reviews before me may have been over exaggerated. I ordered the combo with the beef taco, enchilada, chili relllano and rice and beans. I believe combo #5. Let me start with the beef taco. This was a how can I put this.... It was a warmed up corn tortilla with shredded beef. Normally I would be expecting a fried taco. But as I bit in to it loads of juice came out of it. Drip and more drips. I guess it wouldn't have been to bad except the beef was flavorless like if had been sitting in a pot water. The chili rellano was ok. The enchilada well I know that everyone prepares there's different, but what tripped me out that I flipped over the enchilada and it was completely dry of any sauce . The beans where tasty. The rice was dry. The price point is kind of what makes me think that a little more effort. I have numerous taco stands located all around me that have that same combo for around $8.00 opposed to $13.00. One thing about these mom and pops stands is they do a low price point but more volume and the quality is better do to being able to watch them cook your food. I give this restaurant an average. I'm not a chef nor a food critic. I hope that my review may help not only the consumer but also the establishment .

Visited June 2013
1 Thank BEN M

Scottsdale, Arizona
“Average Mexican food in a touristy area of San Diego.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

Before going to SD- I really thought Old Town was a must see. It wasn't. If you are well traveled you will instantly recognize this place for what it is- a tourist trap. While some of the restaurants in the area have very cute patios/old time charm, the food just isn't up to snuff if you have eaten great Mexican before. Might be a good place if you are close, or for happy hour, but for foodies- just skip these restaurants.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Rabbott1
Los Angeles, California
“Horrible service; food was not worth it”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

My family visited this restaurant during Memorial Day weekend, so granted it was a very busy weekend. However, the service was horrible. The host was inexperienced; they didn't have a formal wait list; he was taking people names on a folded, wrinkled paper. He kept telling people the wait was 30-40 minutes. After 30 minutes, we got seated, but it took them about an hour to bring out our food. We only had four in our group, and our food selection was pretty basic - quesadillas, rice, beans, etc. so I wasn't sure why it took so long to get our food. Also, the soda was watered down and it tasted awful. Just horrible service and the food wasn't even worth the wait. I would recommend for you to save your money and eat else where. The food was very expensive for the quality of food you got. We paid over $40. It was a joke. Go somewhere else. The only thing that was good was the entertainment! (Harp player)

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles, California
“Disappointingly average!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

We have eaten here before but the shady outdoor patio looked inviting on a warm afternoon. There were only two patrons when we arrived but more did arrive. The service could have been more attentive, especially since not busy. You need to ask for additional napkins and drink refills since waiter did not check back. The food is underseasoned and somewhat bland. The tortilla chips were blah but the salsa was pretty tasty. The sodas were watery, glad I didn't order a margarita. The food was okay but nothing special. Overpriced for the quality and quantity of food. Facade has been updated but patio area needs new furniture and some decoration. Sorry I didn't have a coupon and had to pay full price. Better restaurants out of the plaza area.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank 101travelers
Tualatin, Oregon
“Enticed by 15% off coupon.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

Wandering around the touristy Old Town, I wasn't really expecting much in terms of a restaurant and El Fandango met that requirement. I should have backed out when noticing only one other couple in the entire restaurant.
To start, I ordered the Queso Fundido and Chorizo, which was tasty and not bad, though it could have used a touch of pepper infusion. For the main course, I thought the Fandango Platter, which is supposed to contain one cheese enchilada, two shrimp consuelos, one picachillo empanada and nachos would be a great sampler, but they were out of empanadas and substituted it with an additional piece of shrimp: The dish was fairly good, but not overwhelming.
My dining partner ordered the Carne Asada Plate, which was a thin sliced charbroiled top sirloin steak, that was flavorless and a little dry; not recommended,
We opted out of having desert, as the main meal was just average.

• Visited February 2013