“Hotwire/Priceline Express - Beware”

Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo
Ranked #54 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 29 December 2013

This hotel is adequate. As noted in previous posts, the rooms and hallways are dated. The bathroom door closes automatically. Noise from other guests in the hallways seems loud.

We got the room for ~33% discount thru Priceline Express for a one night / Saturday night stay.
When we checked in, the place was empty. When we left early Sunday morning, it was still relatively empty (plenty of room in the parking lot).

All hotels have less than desirable / incurably defective rooms that go to the discount clientele. In this case, we got room 105, which overlooks the garage entrance and 15 Fwy. The garage gate gives off a highly detectable rumble all thru the night as cars enter and exit. If you were looking to sleep in before the Charger game, Fa-gad-abad-it. The Freeway noise is also evident.

If you are like me and get stuck with this hotel thru Hotwire or Priceline Express, try to stipulate a room away from the Freeway and the Garage entrance when checking in.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank IrvineCal
Joe D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

We would love to be able to have the chance to make sure your next stay is extraordinary and memorable! Our guests are the most important part of our hotel, and we work tirelessly to guarantee their complete satisfaction. On the behalf of our entire staff, I would like to invite you back. Please let us know the next time you will be in the area and we will make sure we take better care of you!

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Previously stayed at the close-by Radisson property and was disappointed in the highly dated rooms. Thought I'd try Hilton Garden Inn on the other side of the freeway for something different. The hotel is located in a nice, retail/business complex with lots of stores and restaurants close-by. Nicely remodeled lobby with cozy bar area and fireplace. Breakfast was excellent with a cook-to-order omelet/eggs station and other hot and cold foods. Business center printer and PC worked fine for printing my boarding pass. Room seemed just OK; I've seen better at HGI properties. It seemed like a lot of the original fixtures/furniture were there even though the rooms were supposedly recently refurbished. The bathroom door was really scratched up inside and out, no doubt due to the fact that it is spring-loaded to always shut. This was quite annoying so I put a towel under the door to keep it open while in the room.

Would I stay there again? Maybe. However, it lacked just enough polish in the rooms themselves that I might be tempted to again try something else in the area on my next visit to the area.

Room Tip: My room looked right into the apartment building next door. Might ask to have a bit more privacy.
1  Thank mrfargo2
Joe D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Reviewed 19 December 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the end of November! We had a little trouble finding you in the dark, but it was ultimately worth it. First of all, I don't think you can beat the price and quality of the breakfast buffet! We ate a small breakfast elsewhere our first morning there, and realized by the time you pay for your coffee, tea, orange juice, etc. it's really less expensive to enjoy the QUALITY buffet you offer for such a reasonable price. Great staff; they came right away to adjust our refrigerator, and were all friendly. No, we didn't like that the bathroom door had to stay closed, and if you won't tell OSHA we propped it partly open with a shoe so we could see at night. That little bit of light would also have allowed us to get out more quickly in case of emergency. We're coming back to stay with you in February. Any specials you can offer us? Oh yes, a plug for your sister Hilton El Conquistador in Tucson, where I stayed in early November. They, too, were great! Looking forward to being in your care on February 15!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jo An L
Joe D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review! Your words and acknowledgments are what drive us! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Maybe I'm just spoiled from where I recently was on business travel (Palmdale Embassy Suites), but this hotel is simply adequate. I was sent down here on business and I didn't have to pay for it, but I'm not sure the value is worth it. Unlike the Embassy Suites in Palmdale, which I'm returning to tomorrow, they provide "coupons" that are redeemed for breakfast. I can't comment on the breakfast because I've had to work too early to utilize. The decor needs updating, but the biggest issue I found with my room in specific is that the bathroom door remains closed. They have a sticker on the door saying it is an "OSHA" requirement, maybe it is, but it sure is annoying that in the middle of the night when you have to use the bathroom, you have to "open" a door.

Everyone I've dealt with from front desk to housekeeping was extremely nice. I do however, give the hotel a 3 star (instead of or 2.5) because I honestly feel I may be influenced by the hotel I just left and will be returning to tomorrow.

1  Thank DesertFlyer
Joe D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate your honest input and we will be eager to provide any assistance needed to make your next stay as comfortable as possible. We know that you have many other lodging choices available when you travel to San Diego and we appreciate that you chose to stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed at Hilton Garden Inn Rancho Bernardo 3-6 Dec for a business trip to San Diego. The breakfast buffet was great, with a chef cooking made to order omelets. Parking is offered around the property and a covered and secured (access only by your room key) parking garage. This property has a nice lounge and bar. Desk and housekeeping staff are very responsive to any questions or concerns you may have.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Joe D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thank you for your WONDERFUL feedback, we greatly appreciate your business! We take great pride in providing outstanding service and taking care of all of our guests. We are here for you!!!

Reviewed 7 December 2013

This is a typical, nice Hilton Garden Inn. The rooms are comfortable, the staff is always friendly. This property is pretty - but there is nothing totally extraordinary here. I had a nice visit. I have been here before and will return again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Joe D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I found this hotel exceptional in every way. It was clean and well appointed; however the most impressive part of my stay was the staff. Not only were they all very professional, friendly and accommodating many exceeded my expectations with their exceptional service. Each thinking ahead and proactively taking care of my every need. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Joe D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

We are so happy that you enjoyed your visit to San Diego! We appreciate your comments and thank you for the insight they offer. We know that you have many other lodging choices available when you travel to San Diego and we appreciate that you chose to stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again!