“Lots of hype for burned food”
Review of Waypoint Public

Waypoint Public
Ranked #831 of 4,764 Restaurants in San Diego
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Waypoint Public is a California-inspired, family friendly gastropub; a destination where all people enjoy genuine hospitality, delicious food and exceptional beer.
San Diego
“Lots of hype for burned food”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I was here for a party on a Saturday afternoon; the hipster vibe is huge here, and it's an interesting space. The food, on the other hand was less than stellar; every plate came out with burned potatoes, and my egg dish had burned everything except the poached eggs and hollandaise. Pretty difficult to give this place a great rating, when it was obvious the kitchen was overwhelmed, or didn't care.

• Visited April 2014

San Diego, California
“Excellent Eclectic Cuisine and Great Vibe”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Deciding to dine in this new restaurant in North Park on a busy Saturday night was the right decision. The place was hopping and packed and glad we had a reservation. The restaurant opens to the street so the air comes through and everyone seemed to be happy. This a good place for single diners as well as groups. The menu is California eclectic and all over the place. We tried the beet salad with fried pig ears which was excellent. The terrine of duck confit with beets for $8 is the best creative appetizer for the money in San Diego. The house made pretzels with dipping mustards arrive hot from the kitchen. The tomato minestrone is a small portion but tasty and a little spicy. The fried green tomatoes were a little rubbery but had a nice taste and batter. For dessert they had run out of our first choice (weird considering early on the weekend), but the pear cobbler with homemade butter pecan ice cream and candied pecans was mouth watering. There were many choices on the menu that we wished to try but will have to return. There is definitely talent and creativity in Amanda Baumgarten's kitchen.

The restaurant serves only a few choices of wine but has one of the most extensive beer lists anywhere with 50 beers on draft. The beers are posted on an airline departures type screen over the bar. We tried a few excellent tasty choices served in crystal glasses. Also, all of the plate ware is different and like china purchased at yard sales from vintage to modern. The wine list appeared meager considering the focus on beers.

Service was hectic but our server could always be found when needed. The restaurant also has a play area for children in the back with a large TV showing children's films to keep the tots entertained. Music was on the pop rock side and could hardly be heard over the din of the diners. Parking can be a hassle in this part of North Park too. But we loved the place and definitely will return soon! Also, the prices are very affordable for now.

San Diego, California
“Really mediocre food experience”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Sampled the waypoint burger and the veal ragu parpadelle pasta with peas. Burger: should have been decadent per the 8 oz beef burger, pulled pork, fried egg, etc... Instead the beef was really average quality and undersalted, the pulled pork was mealy/mushy and bland, but the aioli was at least good. The veal and pasta was pleasant but under-seasoned and a generally subtle (underwhelming) tasting dish, best part were the peas. Not sure I'll be back to eat...the beer list is good, however.

San Diego, California, USA
“Not for me”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I really really want to like this place, but they would have to work on their menu, service and noise levels
Usually I get to happily narrow down and choose between items that I know I am going to like
But here, I really wasn't drawn to anything on the menu and settled for something that I might like, which I didn't
The service is slow, quiet, uninterested and sometimes confused (we had someone elses food delivered to our table)
The food was bland - I had the meat / cheese plate and then the Cassoulet - neither of which I would have again
We were there for a birthday, but you would never have noticed by the way the birthday girl was treated by the staff
It was noisy, which usually I dont mind, but all the servers talked low and shyly so you couldn't hear a thing
They have a kids area, with some lego toys and bean bag chairs, sometimes turns into a little thunderdome
We couldnt wait to leave...not my kind of place, but you may like it

Good location near 30th street
Street and garage parking
Windows open for fresh air
Bike parking out front

San Diego, California
“Overpriced and terrible. There are better places in North Park.”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

The group had decided to go to WP for dinner. My friend had called earlier that day to make a reservation but the person that answered the phone told her they were not accepting reservations. However, when we arrived, they asked us if we had a reservation. Since we did not, we were told 45 minutes to wait. We were a group of 8 so no big deal, we waited at another bar, and the hostess called me on my cell phone to let us know our table is ready.

After being seated, we did not get our drinks till an hour later. Slowest service ever!!!They offer an OK craft beer selection, but at a premium price. RIDICULOUS since there are better selection and pricing at Toronado, Coin-Op, and a slew of other close by restaurants and bars.

The food was just OK and overpriced for the quality you get. Nothing extraordinary about the food. The octopus dish was terrible. My husband had 2 bites and spit it both out. The waiter saw the barely touched dish and immediately told him he would try to comp that dish...like he already knew that dish was terrible.

Our biggest mistake was picking this place that is fairly new to the area. Restaurants come and go in North Park and only the places with solid service and good food have stood the test of time. And by our expericence, I doubt this place will last long.