“Praise and suggestions”

Ranked #17 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Barrington, Illinois
“Praise and suggestions”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Excellent customer service, each of the staff members that I interacted with were above and beyond courteous! A very nice experience.

The complimentary breakfasts and dinners were comprised of quality products, everything was fresh and tasted great. They also made the cost of the room a very good value. Free beer and wine with dinner = best. Thing. EVER.

Room for improvement:
My room smelled musty each time upon entering, but it wasn't unbearable.

I usually see a DVD / Blu-Ray player attached to at least one TV in a room, but there weren't any in this particular room.

I believe they have Direct TV (or similar) in the dining area, but there was only limited availability of cable channels in this particular room.

The $50 fee for Early Check-Out was unexpected and disappointing. I suppose I should have read all of the "fine print" when I booked this stay, but honestly; most business travelers don't, myself included. I was pressed for time when I checked out, so I didn't dispute the charge with the (very gracious) front desk staff. I travel 25% of every year, and I've checked out of several hotels earlier than planned, but his is the first time I've encountered a "penalty" for it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

2 Thank Michael A
Ryan B, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you Mike A. for the great review! Having to travel frequently for work sometimes is less fun than it should be, so we are glad we could help you relax and be comfortable while here. Thank you also for the constructive comments, we are always looking for ways to improve and your specific notes have been passed on to our department managers.

Next time you are in San Diego please feel free to give us a call, we would love to have you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I must apologize for the extreme tardiness of this review. We stayed here in January 2013 (now it's Nov/13).

Travelling down from Canada, we stayed in Anaheim for 5 days, then drove to San diego and Stayed at the Homewood Suites (San Diego-Del Mar) for another 4 days (perhaps 5). My husband and I were travelling with my daughter, her husband and her two boys, ages 5 and 9. The suite was all we had expected. Two well-appointed rooms - each with separate complete baths - separated by the living room/dining/kitchen are. The entryway was large, which I loved. When booking a two-bedroom suite, you'd expect at least 4 people. We had 6 and the large entryway made going in and out of the suite so easy.

The staff were all cheerful and very helpful. The location was easy to find and close enough to Sea World, the USS Midway and one other place by Sea World that I cannot remember, sad to say, that it was not inconvenient at all.

The food served was well-cooked, well-laid out and tasty. The selection was incredible.

Thank you to all the staff who made our stay so enjoyable!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Laurie L
western australia
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

What an excellent little hotel this was. Stayed with husband and two sons so of course had two suites.
Reception check in was a piece of cake. Couldn't do enough for us even though we got in pretty late.
Suites were spotless and modern. Free breakfasts and dinner during the week were provided and therefore made the hotel excellent value
It's only downfall was the fact it was so far out of San Diego City. We had no car so had to rely on taxis quite a bit but for those people with their own transport it is like an oasis .

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kazza2904
Chicago, United States
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Reasonably priced place to stay with a great staff at the front desk and in the lounge section. Good hot breakfast and clean spacious suites. Manager's reception every night with free food and drink. Rooms are nice, outdoor pool in good shape with a nice outdoor seating area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

2 Thank Vytas A
Ryan B, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you Vytas A. for the wonderful review of our property. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and its amenities. We are also glad you had a chance to enjoy our Welcome Home Dinner. We hope to have you stay with us again soon!
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed at this property for 4 weeks in a row (home on weekends). It was for a business trip. Here are my thoughts in a nutshell:

Pros:
1. Staff went out of their way to make my stay great.....the extra mile....much more than typical hotels....the Nordstrom philosophy.
2. If I had leftover refrigerated items when I checked out on Friday (to return the following Sunday), they kept those items for me in their large refrigerator and then had them in my room refrigerator upon check-in.
3. Stayed in a king room for 3 of the weeks but one week in queen room. That smaller room did not have a lamp by the sofa for reading, etc. so Maintenance brought a floor lamp up to my room for my use!
4. The complimentary dinners were pretty good. I could grab a plate of food and my glass of wine, take it up to the room, go work out, shower, and just heat it up in the microwave when I was ready to eat. Perfect.
5. Fitness center very clean. Had TVs mounted on treadmills and they actually worked! Equipment in great shape. I brought my own headset but once I saw that they had some wrapped in plastic for guests.
6. Staff very helpful with area info, such as dining options.
7. I could have stayed at the Hilton Torrey Pines but for long stays, this property felt like home and I could eat more of my normal diet with bringing food in.
8. They had regular mattress covers on the beds, compared to other Hilton properties that have the updated bed sets (I hate those) that retain your body heat and you sweat all night long if you don't have the air turned down to 65.

Cons:
1. It is an older property.
2. The bed mattresses were too soft (need replacing) but not to the point where I suffered.
3. One room I stayed in had a warped entry door and it was difficult to lock.
4. Esthetically, furniture is old. Bedside tables crammed into existing space to where the walls had been scraped.

Overall, great place to stay. No luxury here.....just a pleasant, homey, comfortable atmosphere.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

2 Thank FightonSC
Litchfield Park, Arizona
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Room was nice with full kitchen and refrigerator. Breakfast was also very good! We were very pleased with are stay there. Bed was alittle soft for my liking but was ok. Worked out in fitness room which had the machine I usually use at my home gym. overall I was pleased wih my stay at Homewood Suites DelMar

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Ronald S
Oak Hills
Reviewed 2 November 2013

It feels like your at a RESORT! Service by Enrique at check in was awesome, he catered to my kids and wife.. Some hotels are only interested in your I.D, and Credit Card Please. The rooms were Clean and nice. The pool was 80 degrees heated and the BREAKFAST, the BREAKFAST was awesome! Denny's has nothing on this Hotel. The waffles, eggs, bacon and parfait were made fresh, there was a lot more, but I just had a Bacon attack there. The Dinner was also awesome! BBQ was served, the burgers were HUGE and I made a Doubble Doubble. I know I sound a little over Weight, but that is not the case, I am 6' 2'' 217lbs with ABS so it was fun to over eat because it is included in the price of the room, so i took full advantage of the food, Beer and Wines. I left the hotel and the next day I missed it. Great Hotel.. I suggest they put a Ping Pong table outside.

Room Tip: Lots of entrance and exits in the Hotel. Park next to your room for convenience.