“Abundant Food at Fred's”

Fred's Mexican Cafe
Ranked #221 of 4,799 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Vermont
“Abundant Food at Fred's”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Of all the options to eat in Old Town, my brother and I chose Fred's Mexican Cafe, and we were not disappointed. We began with two ice cold draft beers. I order a Mexican Chicken with beans and rice dish. There was enough for two people! Two chicken breasts and plenty of beans and rice.
It was a tasty dish, but after the fact wished I had ordered the tacos. My brother had the calamari and shrimp tacos. They too were generous in size and my brother said they were excellent. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Would definately go there again when in San Diego.

wilmslow
“Great Margaritas”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Went to Freds twice on my trip to San Diego. Enjoyed Old Town and its atmosphere. Both times I visited (Monday and Saturday evening) the food was good value, tasty and well cooked. Particularly enjoyed the large margaritas in fancy glasses.

• Visited June 2014
Lambertville, New Jersey
“Better choices on the same street”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I've been to Fred's twice now. I held off reviewing the first time, but the second time prompted a review. Service going in was not helpful. I was solo and pretty much guided just to the bar, where there were only two seats at the very back of the bar under the TV, though there was about 60% vacant tables and it was past the lunch hour. I passed and took a bar table. Took almost 10 minutes for someone to get to me (though the guy that finally did was a really good server). I ordered the watermelon and cucumber margarita which was good. I also ordered carnitas tacos which were practically inedible. The were oozing grease to the point that as I tried to eat one, the entire plate was filled with grease. I've never seen anything like it. The rice and beans on a separate plate tasted like they were cooked yesterday. Previous visit the food was moderately better but the service was the same. Twice is the charm for me.

Pasadena, California
“I Saw A Rat Here”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

There we were having a nice time having a few drinks near the back bar area. I went to the men’s room and on my way back I saw a rat. It was about 9 or 10 inches long without the tail. Other than that everything was fine. We told the bartender and he went in the back. I assume he told someone else. None of the other customers seemed to notice. It was a bit surreal.

This is a nice looking place and there was a lively crowd there. If it hadn’t been for the rat I might recommend this place. I am guessing that this type of thing happens to other restaurants also. We only had drinks here so I can’t comment on the food.

Would I go back? Maybe. But seeing the rat does lower my rating for this place.

Phoenix, Arizona
“Best Mexican Margarita”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

A local merchant recommended this as the best Mexican restaurant in the area of Old Town, San Diego. She was correct. We had chicken fajitas and their special Strawberry and Kiwi Margarita. All was delicious and scrumptious . The service by Chuck was excellent and the cafe crowded. We waited a reasonable time for both the drinks and food. The atmosphere was authentically Mexican and you could eat inside or outside. The price for lunch was very reasonable. Highly recommend.

• Visited April 2014