“Old Stadium.....Bad Managemant”
Review of Qualcomm Stadium

Qualcomm Stadium
Ranked #117 of 451 things to do in San Diego
Reviewed 29 December 2013

On Sun Dec. 20th went to the Stadium for a NFL game. The problems started with getting to the stadium. We arrived 1.5 miles from the exit 1.5 hours before the game. They had zero people monitoring the freeway exit, so for an hour we watched people go right to the exit and cut-off all the people waiting. Then they have 3 lanes which merge into one. Again no monitoring, so after 30 minutes we arrived where we could turn into the stadium...not so fast. The lot was now full. We were informed to park at the top of the hill. After 15 more minutes looking for a space in a residential street and then 1.5 mile walk to the stadium we missed almost the entire first quarter.

The stadium itself is old. Not falling apart old, but no amenities old. The food was well below fast food standards. I am not expecting 5 star quality, but I would recommend you eat before you go.

Lastly, to exit the area was the same poor management as getting to the stadium, so after the 1.5 mile walk it still was 50 minutes just to get back on the freeway.

1  Thank Steven W

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Was my first time in Qualcomm and 2nd time to an NFL game. Was a great game here are the positives and negatives

Positives:

- Was easy to get to via the rail line and quick getting out
- Didn't have a hard time finding food/drink/souvenirs
-seats were great although in the sun (my own fault)

Negatives:

-stadium is definitely showing it's age

all in all, if you ever get the experience of an nfl game, you will have a good time.

Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Was our first time going to an NRL game. We were in the front seats of section 19 which gave us a good view of the field and score board plus the afternoon sun was to our right and slightly behind.
We bought popcorn and drinks from the walking sellers and would have bought corn dogs too but they never walked in front of our section and I couldn't wave the girl down as she was always walking away from us.
All the food and drinks are expensive (beers/pizza slice-$9 water-$5 popcorn/corn dogs-$6) but thats expected at the footy.
Security is good there and I was always seeing police officers also patrolling the areas.
Good first time experience and atmosphere watching the chargers beat the giants, would happily come back again!

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Have seen many pro and college football at many different venues in US. Would rank this venue among the best for viewing of a game. Cozy atmosphere with all seats relatively close to field in comparison to other larger stadiums.

Food options are all good but like most venues terribly over-priced. E.g. Nachos grande, consisting of bag of tostitos and cup of cheese, $8.00. I guess you have to shoot for 500% profit in this business.

A word of caution about transportation to stadium. Because of traffic and parking crush at stadium before and after game, use of the Green Trolley from points East and West of venue is recommended. In my experience parking at a trolley stop East of Venue would be a good move. Parking at any stop West of venue would be a terrible mistake. After game I attended, there were literarily thousands of fans trying to get on West-bound Green Line Trolley. It was one of the worst people crunches I've ever seen anywhere. Much worse than NYC, Boston, or Philly.

I waited in line for 30 minutes with almost no forward movement to get on a train. If I stayed in that line, I would have been waiting at least another hour or more just to get on a train. The que set up by stadium security was wholly ineffective in efficiently moving people on to platform and there were not enough trolleys. The whole situation was terribly mismanaged and under capacitized.

I like hundreds of others decided to take an East-bound train to the next station East and picked up a West-bound train there. That worked but when my train got back to the stadium it was so full no one there could get on. I cannot emphasize strongly enough how important it is to avoid this crunch. If you dont, it could take you 2 hours or more to get to the Old Town Station. Incredible!

2  Thank Peter H
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I go to Chargers games every year. I ONLY go because I LOVE the Chargers, not the stadium...it is one of the lower echelon stadiums in all four major US sports and I've visited at least a dozen college and pro football stadiums... Qualcomm is really poor for many reasons:

1) Parking or Metro access - neither are convenient or easy, plan to spend on at least 30m possibly up to 60m getting in/out from either depending, most people starting leaving late in the 4Q to avoid such long lines on either option.

2) Speaker system - awful, main speakers are on one side of the stadium and echo throughout, it is hard to hear from many spots on the stadium.

3) Jumbotron - or lack thereof...the scoreboards and video replay boards are awful, definitely could use updating.

4) Food choices - if you even still believe in buying food at a stadium, this is not one to bother, some of the most standard stadium food, not many decent tasty options, a lot of heavy slop.

5) Pro Shop - they only let in so many people at a time so if you even want to browse gear to pass time before game or at halftime enjoy waiting in line just to get in.

6) Bathrooms - they overflow easily and reek into halls and your feet get wet, lines back-up all over the hall ways since bathrooms are mostly on inside near seats than outside by the larger area...

Overall Qualcomm is basically a dump. It should be demolished and the Chargers should move to another nearby city that would gladly welcome a professional football team, if only there was one...

2  Thank Erik4Travel