“Can't Wait to Go Back!”
Review of Tower23 Hotel

Tower23 Hotel
Ranked #8 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Are you in the doldrums? Winter weather getting you down? Need a little beach time? Then this is the place for you! Just a few nights spent in a Surf Pad had me totally rejuvenated! Falling asleep every night with the waves pounding the shore-it doesn't get any better than this. And only two hours by plane from Denver where it was minus 9 the night before I left.
Seriously, I loved my experience here. Incredible ocean views and sunsets. One of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in. Plus, no left over tobacco smell in the room whatsoever. I have been running into problems with previous occupants smoking in the guest rooms even when the hotel is non-smoking like this hotel is. But that was not the case at Tower 23.
Plenty of hot water for showering. If anything could be improved upon it could have been the mattress. I prefer a hard mattress; this one was soft and I kind of rolled into the center. Not enough support for my old joints!
Staff were always friendly and eager to please. Lots of communication as in emails before arrival. This is a small hotel and the front desk will learn who you are. Free coffee and newspapers in the lobby every morning. Just felt at ease, welcomed and comfortable the entire time.
I was hampered because I did not have a rental car but saw at least one rental car agency in the Pacific Beach area, close to the Hotel. Next time I will get a car. Taxis into the city average $40 one way and that adds up.
There was no concierge on duty for two of the days I was there and I needed information that the front desk did not have. I was pretty annoyed by this but just went with the flow and enjoyed the beach area. When a tourist has never been to an area, the hotel concierge is really valuable. They usually have information not found in a brochure.
The room I was in with the full frontal ocean view was a bit noisy in the evenings from the restaurant below but the conversations, dining always wrapped up by 10:00 p.m. Breakfast is by room service only but there are plenty of coffee shops within walking distance.
Looking forward to my next visit. Bring your camera and binoculars-great place for photography and bird watching.

Room Tip: Third floor surf pad.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,048)

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights over Christmas. Had the Surf Pad room on 2nd floor with full ocean view. Great to sit on the balcony and soak in the views. If i stayed again i would go with one of the other rooms as sitting on the patio was equally as good. The waiter called Zak was great, he made sure all the guests were taken care off.

Room was a good size, comfy bed and chairs. Shower ok, medium water pressure. Clean room. Room service come round each evening to see if you need extra towels and give you a chocolate.

On our first night (dec 24), the hotel brought me some birthday treats as it was my birthday a few days before. Then 15 minutes later we got milk and cookies for santa. What a nice touch. Its little things like this that make a hotel good.

We took out the beach cruisers each day, these are complementary. Great for riding down the boardwalk.

Parking is $20 but each day we got s spot on the street so we did not have to pay this.

I would stay again but next time get one of the cheaper rooms, unless it was a special occasion again. Great hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mojomiller
Reviewed 31 December 2013

This was my 4th visit to Tower 23 and I was not disappointed. I have now been there in the summer and the winter and my visits have been close to perfect. The neighborhood is pretty beachy, young and sort of funky. As you follow south on the boardwalk, you will get an urban beach vibe, but Tower 23 is halfway between the "action" and LaJolla, and is like an oasis and respite from the crazier areas. The hotel is very minimalist and a perfect base to play on the beach and enjoy the rest of San Diego. Most places in the city may be reached by a short cab ride. I've always stayed in the Surf Pad and enjoyed the view and the passing parade immensely. Although the hotel obviously aspires to "hip", it is not overwhelming and the staff is friendly, helpful and very nice. Sit outside, have a great dinner and watch the sun set.

Room Tip: Stay in the Surf Pad and watch the surfers!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2013

San Diego Delight. Modern, austere-with-character hotel right on the beach in Pacific Beach. Glorious view of the ocean and waterfront. Tastefully decorated public spaces, spacious rooms, utlra modern bathrooms. The JRDN restaurant serves fantastic cocktails and exceptional food.
Put this one on your bucket list

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed at tower 23 last month and had the best experience. The hotel and accommodations were excellent!!! The staff was very pleasant and helpful especially one employee imparticular his name was Joel he helped us with anything we wanted and from beach chairs towel and also went above and beyond recommending outside needs such as nail spa etc. he honestly made our trip so much easier and enjoyable we will define aptly be coming back not only based on the hotel itself but the extremely pleasant experience we had with your staff employee named Joel thx again Joel we will be back to see u soon thx Kendra xoxoxo

Room Tip: Def get a room with ocean view beautiful
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kdrop
Reviewed 3 December 2013

No coffee in rooms......no cotton balls....no q-tips....no shower cap.....and NO ART on walls in room or hallways or plants for some color.....We stayed in the Surf Pad with 2 beds......view was nice of ocean and beds were comfortable......the ONE SINK was a disaster!!!!!!!!!!!!..should have 2 in a room with 2 queen side beds ......the light fixture hung right above your head....DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN!....The restaurant did not open until 11am for breakfast.......we like to eat early.........so we were forced to eat else where !!!!!!!!!The nicest part of the hotel was the terrace area on the 2nd floor where you could order food and relax.....no pool though!........We liked the Pacific Terrace Hotel with a pool and hot cookies every night much better down the boardwalk where we have stayed at least 8 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: 3RD floor only surf pads!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chanel49
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I had a terrific brief trip at Tower 23. Raul Lopez, the attendant who checked us in, was incredibly kind and helpful. He upgraded my girlfriend and I a to a fabulous room when I asked if they had a room that had a better ocean view. On top of not charging us for the upgrade, he brought us a second round of complementary check-in drinks, which was much appreciated after a long drive from Los Angeles. Raul went above and beyond in his service to us. He was very personable, professional, and fun to speak with. Complements to Tower 23, and especially to him!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business