“Oh my goodness the room was small, other than that the place was great”

Urban Boutique Hotel
Ranked #54 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

There are a lot of great things about this hotel. It is in the heart of Little Italy. The free breakfast is nice. But, the room was smaller than a storeroom on a cruise ship! The bed was only a double! But, it had a 42" flat screen tv, a nice sized fridge and a microwave which is great for the leftovers from all of the great restaurants that are less than a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
frankf541, General Manager at Urban Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Hello,
Yes, you were in a room with a full bed. We also have larger rooms available with queen and king beds. Nevertheless, all of our rooms have the same amenities. Thank you for your business.
Nahum Jimenez

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Great location, little homey kind of place - nice staff. Good for the price, would stay again. Rooms are small, nothing fancy, but we stayed for one night to get the San Diego experience, and for the price, it was great. Clean, easy, and friendly!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you again.
Nahum Jimenez

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Based on the reviews I thought that the hotel would be a little more comfortable. It is priced comparatively ok but if you're going to stay very much time in Little Italy--which you should, then you will have to figure the cost of parking at the nearest lot. The "public parking" directly North of the property was $32 for a 24 hour period, which I thought was a little steep. The rest of the street metered parking will restrict parking to two hours during the day and sadly they don't take credit cards, only coins. That said the rooms are literally European sized--this is not an exaggeration. Everything is miniaturized and a little tight for getting around in. I could get used to all of that but I didn't like not being able to open the window next to the bed, even though you could open the one in the bathroom. I didn't see why the window would need to be screwed shut if you're on the fourth floor where there's no security issue. Maybe they did that because they thought someone could accidentally stumble out the window when trying to get back into bed. Unfortunately we had to use the A/C, which got a little chilly at night. Another little nuisance was the loud noise emitted by the bathroom fan and the little refrigerator, which we tried to tolerate. I would highly recommend that the hotel offer more inviting areas with more comfortable furniture. You can really work with the little space you have. I also noticed hotel guests were awkwardly trying to serve themselves coffee and bagels in the standing room only area. You might as well grab coffee at one of the many area cafés. All in all I would say the lodgings are ok for a one night stay, a clean place to crash for the night.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
frankf541, Guest Relations Manager at Urban Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for your business. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Alright so, let me first say that my girlfriend and I are college students on a budget. Found this hotel through a site called getaroom.com which I HIGHLY recommend to anyone! It is a prepaid service where professionals find you rooms at your perfect budget. The hotel staff was actually extremely friendly and accommodating. Check in was not until 3pm but we arrived about two hours earlier and were placed immediately into a room anyways. The rooms were cute and cozy, as well as clean. It was right in the middle of Little Italy which was nice for a dinner spot. Parking is a hassle but for $90 a night, this hotel was worth it. I do not understand the complaints about the small size and such. If you are looking for a grande suite, go to the Westin or the W. This is a place to relax and rest at the end of a long day. You do not spend your entire vacation in a hotel room, so in my opinion, this was perfect. I would stay here again!

1  Thank Cece01031220
frankf541, General Manager at Urban Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Cece,

Wow! Thank you for the kind words. When we set out to open this hotel we decided that we wanted to offer affordable accommodations. We also wanted to offer clean and well maintained facilities and superior service.

I am happy that we meet your expectations.

All the best,
Nahum Jimenez/ General Manager

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Did a "staycation" here in our Little Italy area of downtown San Diego last weekend. Chose to try the Urban Boutique hotel which is located right in the heart of Little Italy. What a great choice! This is indeed a smaller (albeit 4-5 floors) boutique hotel so the feel and vibe is just that, a small quaint urban hotel.

Our room was great, not too small even had an over-sized sitting chair with room to spare. Also a fridge in the room and a decent size fridge at that, plenty of room to store beers, water, and the food we bought at the farmers market and the left overs from terrific restaurants nearby (there was a microwave as well to reheat those leftovers if you wish). Room was very clean and well maintained, nice walk-in shower, plenty of space to hang clothes, etc.

We were offered a corner room on a higher floor which provided a sweet view of the neighborhood and of a part of San Diego Bay which is only a few blocks away. With windows on 2 walls, the view, light in the day and the sunset were most welcome.

So, the hotel is a solid choice for an urban location, rooms not too small, clean and well appointed, staff as friendly as could be. It includes coffee and continental breakfast in the morning. And just outside the front door are not only a multitude of good restaurants and bars/pubs but also the Little Italy farmers market (1 block from hotel) if you are there on Saturday, well worth checking it out. Also, hotel is nearby to the San Diego trolley line which can get you all around downtown, to Mexico and even to the Q or Petco or the Convention Center.

if you can avoid having a car, do it. Get an Uber or taxi or car2go or something else if you can as parking in Little Italy a tough deal. The rental car places are close if you want to wait until you depart to then rent a car if that works.

Room Tip: corner rooms on higher floors are sweet
2  Thank Kevin O

Dear Kevin,

What a nice detailed review. I appreciate the time it took to write it. We try very hard to make everyone's experience a good one and I am so glad we meet your expectations.

We hope to see you again in the future.

All the best,
Nahum Jimenez/General Manager

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband works 1 block away from this wonderful little gem. After a Padre game we spent the night. Alexis at the front desk is just the sweetest person ever. She is very positive and happy and just makes you feel good. The room we had was in full view of the harbor. The beds are comfortable and even though the room is small it has everything you need. Its nice to have free WIFI as well. The little breakfast was perfect. Coffee, juice, yogurt with granola and berries and lots of different goodies to chose from. We will be back!

Room Tip: Top floor corner room, view of the harbor
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
frankf541, Guest Relations Manager at Urban Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Pacificstar,

Thank you so much for staying with us. We really appreciate your business. It is nice to hear all of the details that you noticed about the hotel and the service. We know you have many choices and we appreciate your business.

Thank you again for your review.

Best,
Nahum Jimenez General Manager

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is like a 1 star hotel for people who are in college or singles. Don't come here if you have a family or are well established. No one was at the front desk when I got there. I had to call and someone came out of a room as if I knew him...really weird. They charge an additional safe fee, if you use it. Don't understand why that wouldn't be included in the rate. There was a sticky spot in one of the bedsheets. I felt gross and icky and it was really late, so I didn't bother complaining. I just slept on top of the sheets. Was the most uncomfortable rest I've had at a hotel. There was a hand or paw print on the duvet. The blue light from the Cisco router when all lights are off is annoying. If you happen to have the ac off you can hear all kinds of sounds from outside and when people turn on or off the water/ac. Room was really dusty. Alarm clock kept making noise, so I unplugged it.

The breakfast was fine. The decor is nice. Rooms are small as everyone has mentioned.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business