“Unexpected charm and hospitality”

and 1 more site!

2  Thank clydemac
Reviewed 3 September 2007

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2007

Tried to book for our special trip to the US for my partners Birthday. E-mailed Ann at Hillcrest House B&B with reservation request and my requirements. Received a return e-mail to book., requesting that I phone to book. Eventually after 4 calls, I spoke with Ann and had to repeat my request and info that was on the original request e-mail. Gave my CC details and awaited the agreed confirmation. As no e-mail was forthcoming and the 7 hour time difference, I e-mailed my confirmation to Hillcrest. confirming our agreed terms for our stay.

The next morning an e-mail arrived stating she did not want the booking. This is a very unfrofessional way of doing business and NOT hospitality. as I know it (caterer for over 37 years).

Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
HHouseInnkeeper, Owner/Innkeeper at Hillcrest House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2007

Unfortunately, this prospective guests intentions were not clear from the very first contact email. After taking his reservation over the phone, which included taking his credit card #, I verbally communicated our reservation policy, which is also clearly in writing on our reservation inquiry page on the web site, that we charge the first nights stay immediately as an advance payment to secure the reservation. This gentleman then preceeded to agressively tell me that under no circumstances was I to charge his credit card, and that he would pay for the entire stay in cash upon arrival. After ending the conversation, I felt very uncomfortable with his aggressive behavior, and emailed him back saying that we reconsidered, and would not be taking his reservation. I received another agressive email from him, and forwarded it to my local B&B Guild to be aware of his hostile manor.

Reviewed 20 August 2007

The Hillcrest House B&B is located in a wonderful area of the San Diego within walking distance to many great restaurants. (Bronx Pizza - Best Pizza ever!! and Yakitori Yakudori - authentic Japanese Yakitori place). The house has been beatifully remodeled and is located on a quiet street. My husband and I stayed at the old town room for 1 week. The room itself is large with a large remodel bathroom and large closet for storage. It also had a private entrance off to the side.We especially enjoyed the book and movie collection in the main living room and the front porch for breakfast or a relaxing afternoon. The owner of the Inn is not a full time Inn keeper yet therefore while the breakfast (muffins and cereal everyday) was not your your typical B&B breakfast. While the breakfast was lacking this place makes up for it in charm and location. None of the rooms were airconditioned but with a ceiling fan there was enough ventilation and provided enough cooling for a good nights sleep.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank JeffAngie
Reviewed 20 August 2007

I stayed with my girlfriend for two nights at Hillcrest B&B in San Diego. We had the Old Town Room which may i say, was awesome. We talekd to Ann in the morning as we were leaving LA so she could wait for us at the house. She was there when we get and welcome us, showing aroung the house, where to park, the room... she gave us our keys including the one of the private entrance to the room which is accesible from the backyard.
The room was huge! beautifuly decorated and with a nice bed. It has its own bathroom that is also pretty. There is no door between the bathroom and the bedroom but there is no need because it is like in other room.
In the morning Ann prepares a nice continental breakfast with juice, coffee, milk, home made muffins, fresh fruit, yougurts...
And also gave us a lot of directions for places to eat and visit. Ann and her mother are both very kind and helpful.
The hotel itself has an excellent location in the lively neighbourhood of Hillcrest. Close to lots of restaurants and also close to the main roads. It is a quiet and charming place indeed.
Also it`s minutes drive from the gaslamp quarter and the main attractions of SD such as the zoo, balboa park and even the Seaworld wich is 15 minutes driving through the i5.
We will come back if we go to SD again!!!

• Stayed: August 2007