“Quainte B&B in Hillcrest area”

and 1 more site!
Hillcrest House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 34 San Diego B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 June 2008

I stayed in the Zoo Room on vacation with my mother. It was spacious and not cramped. Ann the innkeeper was such a sweetheart. Gave us maps and explained how to get to places using public transportation. Gave great recommendations for restaurants within walking distance of B&B. The breakfast was simple, but fresh. In the evening there were always tasty treats. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 June 2008

Our stay at Hillcrest House was just wonderful. At our arrival, we were greeted by Ann's lovely mum Barbara. The way she welcomed us made us feel at home right from the start. We stayed in the Zoo room, which has a beautiful en suite bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and the bed linnen impeccable. Breakfast is delicious with tasty fresh fruit and muffins, daily made by Ann herself. It is fun to share the breakfast table with the other guests and sometimes you just forget the time when you are chatting away.

There is ample free parking space for your car in front and behind the B&B, but if you have no own transport, there are several bus lines going through the area.

After a busy day of sightseeing, we loved to relax on the porch before going out to dinner.

The B&B is located in a quiet street in the pleasant neighbourhoud of Hillcrest, with plenty of restaurants to everyone's taste. Ann gave us good tips on where to eat. Most businesses are privately owned, so we appreciated the personal service and the fact we were not "rushed" like in many American chain restaurants.

When we said goodbye after three nights, we really regretted that we could not stay any longer, not only because San Diego is such a wonderful city, but mainly because Ann is such a wonderful hostess.

If you are looking for a comfortable place to stay with a warm personal touch, this is the place in San Diego !

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2008

I picked Hillcrest because I didn't want to pay the outrageous fee for the downtown hotels and wanted to get away from the conference I was attending down there. It's a quick cab ride or bus ride down and back so no problem. Amazing restaurants, shops, and very safe. Also a fabulous Catholic church! Ann was such a wonderful hostess - she thought of everything and helped me with needs I didn't even think of like wine glasses and wireless internet! Hot baked muffins in the morning and perfect coffee. I will definitely go back with my husband next time we go through. It is not only a bargain but beautiful and restful.

Lou Russell, CEO
Russell Martin & Associates

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2008

We just celebrated our 2-year anniversary and decided to do something different this time. Found this on B&B, San Diego, and was blown away by how clean, comfortable, and beautiful Ann has made her B&B. The Coronado suite is the most beautiful room we have ever stayed, with an amazing jacuzzi tub and seriously, the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in.

THANK YOU ANN! Also, Mexico was great and we made it back alive but thanks for the motherly worry :)

See you next time!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2008

Hillcrest House was my oasis on a recent visit to San Diego. Unfortunately, it was not the world class attractions so close to this B and B that prompted my visit, but family medical concerns. UC San Diego Medical Center is quite near by. Hillcrest House was a perfect place for me to rest and recharge between visits to my Mom in the ICU. The convenient location was the least of it: the charming, comfortable ambiance and the wonderful warmth of hostess Ann Callahan made me feel right at home, nurtured and well taken care of. Ann used the saavy of her many years in the hotel trade blended with her down to earth caring to provide me with the best experience possible. Her adorable little dog Calli was also a treat and reminded me of my own canine kids back at my ranch. Breakfasts were scrumptious and cozy (LOVE the secret recipe coffee!). The various eclectic groups of world travelers I shared the breakfast table with every morning were always stimulating, wise and witty. Our conversations provided a great start to my days. In short, my stay at Hillcrest House provided a soothing balm for my heart during a very stressful time.

I hope very soon to come back to Hillcrest House on a lighter mission, FUN. Can't wait to try out some the exotic local restaurants in the Hillcrest district, go hang at the beach, see the Zoo, and just plain visit with Ann and her guests again.

Reviewed 1 June 2008

Ann was warm friendly and very welcoming. She makes great coffee and breakfast and the rooms were very clean with a good en suite shower.

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed 22 May 2008

Had to go to San Diego for a business convention and decided not to stay at the convention hotel but at a local Bed and Breakfast and chose Hillcrest B & B. The stay was perfect from the central location, newly remodeled rooms and baths and excellent service. The host along with her little dog provided needed information about downtown traffic and parking in a professional manner not usally associated with B & B's. My room was just the right size and the bed along with the bedding as good as you find in any resort hotel...even a bathrobe in the closet. The next time I am in San Diego I will stay at the Hillcrest B & B.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business