“What a special place.”

GreenLeadersGold level
Beach Park, Illinois
“What a special place.”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Hillcrest House B & B was such a treat. It was our first time at a B & B and we loved it. Ann was welcoming and such a fine hostess. Fresh baked deliciousness greeted us every morning and every evening. There is no sharing of the recipes so we will just have to go back! :) It is located in a nice neighborhood which is in walking distance to some wonderful restaurants. We went to Hash House a Go Go (twice!) and we recommend that you share a meal! The food is really delicious but HUGE. We also went to Arrivederci. The food was very good. It seemed crowded but we were able to get a table right away on a Saturday at 7pm. Ann had a coupon to use for the zoo and had many recommendations so that we were able to take full advantage of our 3 night stay in San Diego! She made accommodations for us at every turn. Thanks, Ann!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jamnut24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed at Hillcrest House for four fantastic days, firstly Ann was wonderfully welcoming and gracious. It is a charming place, every day breakfast was taken in the main house, I was staying on my own but was made to feel at home and joined other guests for chat over a coffee and toast, this was really interesting and useful when planning my time here. Ann was very helpful when providing local knowledge and even provided me with a travel card for my stay when she found out that I did not have a car. She proved to be an absolute star when this hapless European visitor (me) accidentally found himself across the Mexican border without a passport. After a desperate call, she got my passport from my room and drove it down to the border in order to prove to immigration my legitimate travel in the USA and idiocy. The room was comfortable and cosy, the bed luxurious, I had four of the best nights slumber in a long long time. The area of Hillcrest itself is really lovely, it is safe, has great shopping and dining and was one of my favourite areas in San Diego, close to Balboa Park where you will find world class museums and attractions including San Diago Zoo, it is also convenient for visiting the Gas Lamp District, Little Italy and Old Town.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Richard B
Biketravler, Owner at Hillcrest House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Well Richard...this was a first for me too! I have to say, that I was pleasantly surprised on how nice and helpful the Immigration Officers were, once I found the area, that I handed your passport over. Chalk this one up to, an "Interesting Tourist Activity" Hope to see you back again some day. It was great fun having you here as my guest !!! xoxo Ann
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Wonderful 5 day stay, breakfast chatter among fellow guests was a highlight to start each day. Ann was a gracious host to all of us.

And I loved the wonderful bed, best rest I've had in months. The Hillcrest House is really in the heart of San Diego, fine restaurants, shopping, parks & attractions are only minutes away.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Babylon, New York
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Our week stay at the Hillcrest house Bed & Breakfast was a like a dream. Everything was so very pleasant, magical, and grand. Our room the Zoo room, and bath were spacious, clean, and oh so cozy. Ann Callahan, the owner of the property was so so so wonderful and caring, taking time to give us great bus and trolley directions to the various places we wished to visit, as well as fabulous places to eat. Every morning she had a delightful wholesome buffet breakfast, great coffee and her table of knowledge(where all her guests gathered for this breakfast) was without a doubt not only entertaining, but yes filled with different stories and information of places where people live and have traveled. This house is convenient to all buses and trolleys, 10 minutes from the airport and downtown. We loved it, we will return.

Room Tip: I do not believe there is a bad room in the house.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Biketravler, Owner at Hillcrest House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for the review and mentioning "The Table of Knowledge" I use this term "Tongue and Cheek" for the Breakfast Table. I learn so much from my guests there, and so they say...from me too! Cheers, Ann
SoCal
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We are a couple in our 60s and I'm very cautious about where I take my wife, making certain that it is a safe neighborhood. I take advantage of Google Maps to take a virtual drive around the area prior to making a reservation. Signs of a neighbor in decay are sleazy bars, liquor stores on every corner, trash in the gutter and homes with bars over the windows. I saw none of this. Ann's B&B is about one block from many restaurants ranging from the snooty to down home style. I felt very comfortable walking about Hillcrest in the evening. Ann and her other guests at Hillcrest House were very friendly. We took the only room she had available during the time of our visit, The Gaslight Room. The Gaslight Room is the smallest of their rooms but quite adequate for a couple. The bed was very comfortable!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the great "Report Card" on our neighborhood of Hillcrest. This hip, edgy, historic neighborhood is a gem!. Completely re-gentrified in the last 20 years, it is the place in San Diego to Eat, Shop, Stay, and Play!
Cheers, Ann
Santa Maria, CA
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My husband and I meet another couple in San Diego every October. After having stayed in Little Italy the past few years we decided to stay in a different area. The Hillcrest House B&B was a great find. Close to Balboa park and within walking distance to many restaurants. Ann was a wonderful host with many recommendations. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the back cottage that had two rooms and a parlor. It was great setup for two couples...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Hello, my husband and I stayed at the Hillcrest House Bed and Breakfast for our honeymoon. Ann was amazing with recommendations of places to eat and every place that she suggested was awesome. The room was exactly as it was descripted on the website. It was clean and fresh. The bed was most comfy! We would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a great little hide away! It is a gem of a place!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Balboa room, Was in the cottage not the main house! Very quiet and peaceful!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple