“Lovely Stay”

Hillcrest House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 33 San Diego B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in the Gaslamp Room. Firstly, we made arrangements as we would be coming in after 6 p.m. - ended up arriving just after 6 and Shannon was still there - she stayed just to show us around and explain everything - very friendly and helpful. Ann was not around as she was on holidays but we had a wonderful gentleman Don taking care of us - he was so nice and helpful and nothing was a problem for him - he really knows how to treat and take care of the customers - I loved talking with him. Our room was very nice and super clean - it is the smallest room, but we were not in it much other than to sleep. I only have 2 negatives to say about the room - 1: there is no fridge in the room, it would be nice to have a fridge so you can put some cold drinks in, there is a small bar fridge which all guests can use in the dining room. 2: the was the toilet is positioned it very awkward to use, you kind of have to sit sideways otherwise you will hit the sink. I`m not a big person and I found it difficult. Bed was sooooo comfy and the sheets very soft - had a great sleep after a day of sightseeing. The B&B location is perfect, just around the corner and walk a couple of blocks you are in the hub of many great restaurants and
bars. We walked down to the Gas Lamp district, it`s a bit of walk but you got see the area which is kind of dumpy - we were disappointed. We also walked to Balboa park. Don`t miss going to the Old Town - many great places to eat and drink at - we went twice - first time there they had the main street blocked off for a car show, live band and lots of vendor, it`s about a $25 taxi ride one way. I was nice to sit on the front porch after a day of sightseeing having a cold one and talking with other guests. The Hillcrest is a lovey place to stay - we hope to be back again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Ann and Hillcrest House lived up to their stellar reputations. The rooms are charming and Ann has thought out all the practical details, from the lighting on the stairs, the outlet strip under the desk, the late-night check-in, to the early breakfast to go. It's a great neighborhood, with an array of interesting shops and restaurants, and easy access to public transportation. Ann made me feel at home and wrote out perfect directions for every place I wanted to go. All things considered, I think it's a bargain!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 November 2013

This was our first stay at Hillcrest House B&B and we will definitely be back! When I was calling around to other B&B's one of the innkeepers told me to call Hillcrest as she had heard there was one opening. We got it!

We love how warm and cozy everything was. Ann, the innkeeper was welcoming and it felt like we already knew her. I loved the porch and other "living room" settings where we could hang out. I did some watercoloring on the back porch -- relaxing and quiet.

Also love how we were within walking distance to the delicious restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I recently returned from another stay at Hillcrest House in San Diego and again feel I made a great lodging choice. The main reason for my Excellent rating is due to the high quality of personal service provided by Ann. Case in point, during my most recent stay, I found that there was an issue with the dead bolt on my room door. I informed Ann of the situation, went out for a morning walk, and within an hour, she texted me to let me know the lock had been repaired. In another situation, a fellow B&B guest who came from outside the United States, inadvertently found himself across the border in Tijuana Mexico without his passport. He contacted Ann and she retrieved his passport and took it to the border to help expedite him getting back into the country. Ann is always up-to-date on everything happening in the Hillcrest area and the San Diego region in general. The location of her B&B is perfect in my opinion, so close to the bustling Hillcrest area and a comfortable walk to Balboa Park, but still in a refreshingly quiet neighborhood. Breakfast is not the traditional B&B fare one might expect, (no made-to-order or hot breakfasts are served), but rather a simpler offering of a couple of cold cereal choices, some fresh fruit, toast and mini muffins. Delicious coffee and orange juice are also provided. The variety of guests during my visit was very nice, and the conversations around the breakfast table were always enlightening and enjoyable. San Diego is traditionally a very expensive city for lodging, and Ann's rates, while they may seem high at first glance, do include parking if needed, a very convenient location, a comfortable sitting area in the main house outfitted with a lap top and printer, very fast and reliable WiFi, clean and nicely outfitted accommodations and very comfortable beds. If traveling to San Diego for business or pleasure, you should definitely give Hillcrest House a try.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Hillcrest House B & B was such a treat. It was our first time at a B & B and we loved it. Ann was welcoming and such a fine hostess. Fresh baked deliciousness greeted us every morning and every evening. There is no sharing of the recipes so we will just have to go back! :) It is located in a nice neighborhood which is in walking distance to some wonderful restaurants. We went to Hash House a Go Go (twice!) and we recommend that you share a meal! The food is really delicious but HUGE. We also went to Arrivederci. The food was very good. It seemed crowded but we were able to get a table right away on a Saturday at 7pm. Ann had a coupon to use for the zoo and had many recommendations so that we were able to take full advantage of our 3 night stay in San Diego! She made accommodations for us at every turn. Thanks, Ann!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jamnut24
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed at Hillcrest House for four fantastic days, firstly Ann was wonderfully welcoming and gracious. It is a charming place, every day breakfast was taken in the main house, I was staying on my own but was made to feel at home and joined other guests for chat over a coffee and toast, this was really interesting and useful when planning my time here. Ann was very helpful when providing local knowledge and even provided me with a travel card for my stay when she found out that I did not have a car. She proved to be an absolute star when this hapless European visitor (me) accidentally found himself across the Mexican border without a passport. After a desperate call, she got my passport from my room and drove it down to the border in order to prove to immigration my legitimate travel in the USA and idiocy. The room was comfortable and cosy, the bed luxurious, I had four of the best nights slumber in a long long time. The area of Hillcrest itself is really lovely, it is safe, has great shopping and dining and was one of my favourite areas in San Diego, close to Balboa Park where you will find world class museums and attractions including San Diago Zoo, it is also convenient for visiting the Gas Lamp District, Little Italy and Old Town.

1  Thank Richard B
Biketravler, Owner at Hillcrest House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Well Richard...this was a first for me too! I have to say, that I was pleasantly surprised on how nice and helpful the Immigration Officers were, once I found the area, that I handed your passport over. Chalk this one up to, an "Interesting Tourist Activity" Hope to see you back again some day. It was great fun having you here as my guest !!! xoxo Ann

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Wonderful 5 day stay, breakfast chatter among fellow guests was a highlight to start each day. Ann was a gracious host to all of us.

And I loved the wonderful bed, best rest I've had in months. The Hillcrest House is really in the heart of San Diego, fine restaurants, shopping, parks & attractions are only minutes away.