“Our Magnificant stay at the Hillcrest B&B San Diego”

Hillcrest House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 33 San Diego B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Calgary, Alberta
“Our Magnificant stay at the Hillcrest B&B San Diego”
Reviewed 22 June 2007

We stayed at the Hillcrest B&B June 2007. In all my travels over the years the Hillcrest was one of the best B&B's I've experienced. More than excellent...accommodation, breakfast, hospitality and rates. We will definitely go again next year!

• Liked — Location, rates, hospitality..atmosphere.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Medina, OH USA
Reviewed 18 April 2007

My partner and I just returned from San Diego and a 5-night stay at Hillcrest House B&B. Ann Callahan and her mom Barbara are relatively new to the B&B business, but are striving to make their guests feel comfortable and welcome. We stayed in the Gaslamp Room on the second floor that it is listed as "cozy" on Ann's website and this is certainly true. The room has a very comfortable bed with absolutely wonderful linens, but is somewhat lacking in storage space. There is no closet but there are (2) small furniture pieces with drawers and a coat rack that can hold several shirts or pairs of pants on one wall. The bathroom is new and the walk in glass shower is quite large, but the toilet is tucked away in the corner between the shower and the sink. A person of large size might find it very awkward to move about this space.

The B&B itself is small but charming. It is in a wonderful location in Hillcrest, within walking distance to an amazing array of restaurants, cafe's, bakeries, coffee shops, etc. We walked to Balboa Park and could be on I-5 in a matter of a few minutes for afternoon road trips to La Jolla, Torrey Pines, etc. There are several bus lines a block or two away that can transport you to any number of locations throughout the city.

We have stayed at quite a few B&B's over the years, from Vancouver to Montreal, and have enjoyed every stay. Our only disappointment with Ann's property was the lack of a home-cooked meal. There's just something special about waking up to a wonderful quiche or gourmet pancakes while on vacation that is always a unique treat. The continental breakfast at Hillcrest House was certainly adequate, but it was nothing particularly memorable. It was the same fare one might find at a Fairfield Inn or Hampton Inn. The only bread item was one flavor of muffin that was a different variety each morning and the orange juice was a store brand from concentrate.

Ann is hoping to retire from her "day job" and make the B&B her full time endeavor. She is a very personable woman and will definitely do very well with her business. I think offering a home cooked meal to her guests will help make her B&B an outstanding addition to the Hillcrest area and put her on the level of what seasoned B&B travellers have come to expect during their stays. Ann was kind enough to stay up and welcome us on our first night even though we didn't arrive until almost midnight and gave us plenty of suggestions on things to see and do in town. She loves her city and is a wonderful host.

Stayed April 2007
7 Thank DesertBen
Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 April 2007

I was in San Diego for a seminar. Having read reviews of the hotel where the seminar was being held, I decided I could not stay there. So, I took a chance with Hillcrest House. The minute I pulled into the driveway I knew I had made the right choice!

I stayed in the Gaslamp Room and it is tiny but just perfect for me. Fabulous mattress and great sheets made turning in each night a pleasure. I also have certain foods I like in the morning and it was okay to keep a few of my own small items in the fridge. Coffee was good and strong, saving me a trip to Starbucks or Peet's (both nearby) in the morning. I also stocked up on healthy lunches and snacks at Wholefoods which was within walking distance.

Anne was away but her Mom Barb made me feel so welcome. Even at night, when I returned after a long day, just walking through the quiet house and up to my room put me at ease. I was sad to leave and look forward to returning in the Fall.

This place is not fancy, but thoughtfully decorated and very clean. There was a little road noise at night but it was really minimal and I had no trouble sleeping. Off-street parking was a big plus. And I felt centrally located, not more than 15 minutes from anywhere I wanted to go.

• Liked — The great mattress and thick cotton sheets and excellent hospitality
  • Disliked — Trying to squeeze my fat rental car into the driveway, but it's better than trying to find a spot in the street!!
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank AmySRQ
Fredericton, NB
Reviewed 21 March 2007

We stayed at this B&B for 2 nites in March, 2007 and were very glad we did. We stayed in the Gaslamp Room and loved it. VERY comfy bed, brand new bathroom--loved that big shower! Anne and her mom (and Calli the Yorkie) treated us like old friends. We would not hesitate to book here again next time in town. So nice to meet great people when away from home. Do not hesitate to book here, its a great find.

• Liked — Homey atmosphere, great location, friendly people
  • Disliked — continental breakfast instead of hot breakfast, but still good
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank H&BfromNB
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed 9 February 2007

I had the pleasure of staying at Hillcrest House in December while in San Diego for a short holiday. Ann was extremely friendly, very helpful, and became like a sister in a few short days. I stayed in the Zoo room and I couldn't have been more comfortable. I look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed December 2006, travelled solo
1 Thank LMB013
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed 2 February 2007

I recently stayed at Hillcrest House while doing business in San Diego. It was like staying in the home of a friend. Ann Callahan and her mom were so gracious - from offering great restaurant suggestions and helping with reservations to even packing me breakfast when I had to leave early one morning.
The accomodations are quite comfy and the area is filled with wonderful restaurants and interesting stores.

I am truly looking forward to my next stay.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank vstakes
Hershey Pa
Reviewed 21 November 2006

The room was clean and comfortable with a large modern bathroom. The innkeeper and her mother, who assisted in running the B &B, were friendly and made my wife and I feel at home. The innkeeper was very knowledgable of the Hillcrest area , where the B&B is located, and the San Diego area in general. Her restaurant suggestions were outstanding and requested directions to places of interest right on target.
A basic breakfast was provided . Every effort was given to insure a pleasant stay. A great reasonably priced B&B.

• Liked — The friendly , helpful innkeeper
  • Disliked — Somewhat difficult to find
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple