“Great small and affordable hotel in San Diego California”
Review of Hotel Occidental

and 1 more site!
Hotel Occidental
Ranked #231 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Oregon
“Great small and affordable hotel in San Diego California”
Reviewed 27 October 2009

In Sept. 09' my sister and I spent 5days at the Hotel Occidental in San Diego. It was a great experience. Staff was friendly and competent and helpful. Room was spare but attractive, comfortable and clean. If one is in reasonably good shape, hotel is within walking distance of the Gas Lamp District and Balboa Park. A tasty complimentary breakfast is served daily. We appreciated the small size of this hotel as well as it's convenient location. Our 2nd. floor room faced Elm St. and was noisy some nights. Overall, a great find, thanks to TripAdvisor.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elenario

California
Reviewed 22 October 2009

The staff was helpful and check-in simple. The room was basic yet better than expected. It faced a tiny 'courtyard' had a small kitchenette area and an attached bathroom area with toilet. It was on the first floor.

My friend had a 2nd floor room which faced the freeway that I didn't think was as nice as mine. They were much nicer than any hostel I've stayed at and some hotels.

Good continental breakfast also. My goal was to avoid the incredibly expensive prices (over $100 for a basic room?!?) in SD and this place served that purpose and some.

The parking was on street, which I didn't like but it was not an issue. Would return.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank trippy69
Seattle
Reviewed 18 October 2009

I have stayed at places like this before, and thought they were fine--this one is just a little too cheerless for me. The tiny cubicle of a room, the airplane flight path directly overhead, the street noise and light that the miniblind just could not deal with, the lack of anywhere to eat right around the hotel, no bathtubs (showers only)--I just couldn't do it. I had reserved 7 nights there, left after one. The staff, esp. Ecaterina on the swing shift, were very pleasant and helpful, and if you are totally prepared and aware of what you're getting, it would be fine. I realized for me, it was not enough.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank pinkroo
Tijuana
Reviewed 16 October 2009

Location is perfect for easy access to downtown nightlife. The rooms are clean and quiet with a few small amenities that make it a comfortable stay.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank TheGmanTijuana
Turnhout, Belgium
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Well, my sister needed to go to San Diego for her job and I tagged along for fun. Being a thorough kind of person I researched all possible hotels beforehand on the internet, and I picked this one. And I wasn't wrong! It's in a very good location, close to downtown and even better: close to Balboa Park. The hotel is relaxed and the staff very, very friendly and helpful. Being European we thought the breakfast was a bit too sweet (pastries), but there was bread to be toasted, cream cheese and fruit in this complimentary breakfast too, and we bought a loaf of darker bread, tomatoes and hard cheese ourselves which we took to breakfast without a problem. So breakfast became a lot of fun. The selection of tea was nice as well. The breakfast room is a bit small, but you can take breakfast to your room if you want. The free bikes were wonderful. We ride bikes in our country (Belgium) all the time, so it was great to try it in San Diego. The slopes are a bit steeper, though! My sister took her laptop to work on her presentation and she could use the free internet connection. We loved having a kitchenette in the room, so we could use the microwave to prepare some food and the crockery and cutlery provided to eat it. The small fridge was great to put in the food and drink we bought. The showers were across the hallway and always spotlessly clean (and available; we never had to wait one minute). We could do the laundry at the hotel too, which was lovely because you don't have to walk the streets with your dirty clothes in tow! And then there were complimentary apples and newspapers at the reception desk; what more could you want?
And now for a comparison: colleagues of my sister were staying at one of the very expensive hotels close to the convention center (I've forgotten the name, but it had two tower blocks). They had a swimming pool, yes, but if they wanted to rent a bike they had to pay something like 10 dollars an hour or 30 dollars a day. Breakfast was not even included in the high price and after having delivered 1 (one!) message the reception desk complained this should not be a regular occurence! We were so pleased that we had chosen this hotel when we heard my sister's colleagues describe their hotel!
I've never written a review for a hotel before, although I've travelled a lot all over the world, but I really, really liked this charming and not-too-expensive hotel in the wonderful city of San Diego.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank BelgianTeacher
astrosrgr8
Reviewed 8 October 2009

This hotel is great! I was by myself and wanted an affordable safe place to stay in a good location and this was definitely it. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet stayed open late and the free bikes were a tremendous plus.
I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank astrosrgr8
San Diego
Reviewed 29 September 2009

First of all I want to thank Lisa and her amazing staff for making our friends and family feel so at home. My husband and I recommended our guests to stay at this hotel. Not only was the price unbeatable but the location was perfect as our wedding was in Balboa Park and no one had a car. So with all of this in mind it was the perfect place!
The hotel also did a wonderful event for us the Friday before our wedding. We had our rehearsal dinner here and it was absolutely perfect! The decor, set up and food was just wonderful. Rose, one of the managers created a delicious menu full of apps and hors d'oeuvres. We couldn't have asked for a better event!
The rooms themselves are fully equipped with sink, refrigerator, TV/DVD player and microwave. You also, had free access to their beach cruisers to go explore the town!
I am not sure what the person below is talking about 'run down' neighborhood. He clearly doesn't know the area. My husband and I live in Hillcrest which is about 10 minutes by bike from the hotel. The Occidental is perfectly situated in Bankers Hill one of the BEST neighborhoods in San Diego!
The comment about 'feeling unsafe' blows my mind! Located on 4th and Elm is perfect and a short walk into the gaslamp district, little Italy AND Balboa Park where you are bombarded with excellent cuisine and nightlife.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to visit San Diego. I can't stress enough how wonderful the staff were, attentive, helpful and kind and the hotel itself is immaculate. Of course the price is just unbeatable. I and my husband have done extensive travel around the world. We have stayed in every imaginable form of accommodation and this definitely goes down in our book for a wonderful place to stay.
If you want to pay 100 or more a night to stay in a 5 star hotel, go for it. There are plenty in downtown, but nothing compares to the Occidental in terms of price and standards!
Thanks again Lisa, Catarina and Rose. You are amazing!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple