“Beware of Bedbugs!!!!”

Ranked #231 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego, California
“Beware of Bedbugs!!!!”
Reviewed 9 October 2010

We stayed at the hotel occidental and had a horrible infestation of bedbugs. We were just staying while waiting to move in to our new home and it was horrible. Be careful and make sure they have completely eliminated the problem...bedbugs are very insidious and hard to get rid of.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
8 Thank GED09

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2010

I was treated like a Prince at this hotel!
The staff are so helpful and have great local knowledge.

I fully recommend this hotel to any traveller for short term or long term stay.

My every request was attended to. I've been going to this hotel for the past 3 years that I've travelled to America.

The hotel is close to every amenity and down town San Diego is within close proximity.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Lionheart_10
San Diego
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Terrible service. Very noisy. Drug activity is in the building. You would be a fool to stay there. Management is also clueless. The Island Inn or the J Street Inn are better locations.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank SleepySanDiego
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2009

OK, first things first, this is not a luxury hotel and does not charge luxury prices. It has small rooms and I can image the average American would be horrified by the limited room space. However, if you've stayed in economy hotels in places like London, Paris or Amsterdam then you wont be shocked and it was comfortable (and we had a two year old in with us). The hotel has character and its a lovely old building. The location is pretty good, town centre is walkable as is the park with all its museums (the zoo is amazing). Staff helpful and friendly, free DVDs are available from reception and the breakfast was good. Also found free parking on street outside. With regard to the previous review that claimed its in a run down area, that the hotel has prostitutes and that its not safe for families - well all I can say is that I disagree with all three statements! We walked down to Italian area of city (about 10 mins) and had a lovely meal and walked back, all with our toddler in a pushchair and felt perfectly safe.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank jdavies2001
Washington
Reviewed 21 November 2009

This hotel is located in a run down area of the city. I definitely did not feel safe walking the streets at night.
Also, a young woman was running an illegal service in the room next to mine. A lacrosse team was staying at the hotel and I think the entire team was visiting this womans room. Not a family hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank bonzaiWashington
Oregon
Reviewed 27 October 2009

In Sept. 09' my sister and I spent 5days at the Hotel Occidental in San Diego. It was a great experience. Staff was friendly and competent and helpful. Room was spare but attractive, comfortable and clean. If one is in reasonably good shape, hotel is within walking distance of the Gas Lamp District and Balboa Park. A tasty complimentary breakfast is served daily. We appreciated the small size of this hotel as well as it's convenient location. Our 2nd. floor room faced Elm St. and was noisy some nights. Overall, a great find, thanks to TripAdvisor.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elenario
California
Reviewed 22 October 2009

The staff was helpful and check-in simple. The room was basic yet better than expected. It faced a tiny 'courtyard' had a small kitchenette area and an attached bathroom area with toilet. It was on the first floor.

My friend had a 2nd floor room which faced the freeway that I didn't think was as nice as mine. They were much nicer than any hostel I've stayed at and some hotels.

Good continental breakfast also. My goal was to avoid the incredibly expensive prices (over $100 for a basic room?!?) in SD and this place served that purpose and some.

The parking was on street, which I didn't like but it was not an issue. Would return.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends