“Ferruccio Furlanetto, As Don Quixote, Steals My Heart” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #218 of 424 things to do in San Diego
Poway, California
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Ferruccio Furlanetto, As Don Quixote, Steals My Heart”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Who knew that an eccentric and elderly knight would steal my heart on a Sunday afternoon at the San Diego Opera? Ferruccio Furlanetto did just that as he played the part of Don Quixote in the opera by Jules Massenet. I suppose I was enchanted with the man as he fought tilting windmills and bandits in the desert to recover his beloved's stolen necklace.

I had never seen this particular opera and found it delightful. I sat in a Lower Loge seat which cost $155. Every dollar was well spent to hear the well known Italian bass sing in French. Too, Eduardo Chama was heartwarming in his portrayal as Sancho Panza, the loyal sidekick to Don Quixote. The tale was told in two hours with one intermission. There were refreshments to be purchased at intermission but the lines were excessively long.

Parking was plentiful, although the walk from my car to the parking structure elevator and then to the opera house took more than fifteen minutes. Early arrival is a necessity to be seated for the start of the opera.

At this time, there is some doubt that the San Diego Opera will be alive for its 50th year celebration in 2014-2015. However, this opera fan hopes for a revival of this San Diego jewel.

Visited April 2014

San Diego, California
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Great performances”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

I have enjoyed every performance I attended. Great work! I was amused at "Dialogs of the Carmelites" when the supertitles translated all the French to English, but left the Latin in Latin. Thankfully I know Latin, but doubt whether many other attendees did.

Madison, Wisconsin
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Excellent production of a mediocre opera”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

I was in San Diego for a conference, and one night went to the opera. I went to see Murder in the Cathedral... Ugh, what a mediocre work That being true, the production and singing were world class. One thing that really angered me, however, was when I bought a ticket online, the company added an automatic donation... That's a crappy, misleading way to do philanthropy...

Visited April 2013
Tucson, United States
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Delightful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

A not-oft-performed opera, "Murder in the Cathedral," was the reason for the trip, a Sunday afternoon performance. The opera itself was great, but attending in San Diego was itself a delight, wonderful theater, wonderful intermission ambience, hope I shall find more operas there to suit my taste and merit the trip.

Visited April 2013
Los Angeles, CA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Excellent opera company; good performers and good value.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Saw a great performance of Don Pasquale. Lots of women's bathrooms so long lines could be seen.

Visited March 2012